News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

On the Trail of Fast Radio Bursts

Started by Recusant, June 01, 2020, 10:25:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

That fellow with the excited hair from the silly television show (and no doubt Ihateyoumike as well, were he here) would tell you that fast radio bursts are made by aliens. Seems rather unlikely, but nonetheless they're something worthy of investigation. The observations described in the story below don't nail down the source, so I suppose there's still an extremely remote chance that it's aliens. :blue smiley:

"Astronomers Just Narrowed Down The Source of Those Powerful Radio Signals From Space" | ScienceAlert

QuoteStrange, powerful signals from deep space called fast radio bursts are slippery little suckers.

Most of them just flash once, a mysterious huge spike in the radio data out of nowhere, lasting just milliseconds at most. They can't be predicted, and because they're so brief, they're incredibly hard to trace.

Hard; but not impossible. Less than a year ago, for the first time, astronomers announced they traced one of these mysterious one-off signals to its source galaxy. Since then, their techniques have allowed them to trace three more.

And this has now given us one of the keys that help us unlock the mystery of what fast radio bursts are - a census of the galaxies that spat them out across the Universe.

"Just like doing video calls with colleagues shows you their homes and gives you a bit of an insight into their lives, looking into the host galaxies of fast radio bursts gives us insights to their origins," explained astrophysicist Shivani Bhandari of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO) in Australia.

Ever since the fast radio bursts were discovered in 2007, astronomers have been itching to find out what causes them. They're just so cool and weird - a flash of radio waves that lasts the blink of an eye, with the power of hundreds of millions of Suns.

[Continues . . .]
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Interesting! I just went down the rabbit hole over there for about half an hour! #notaliens

Randy

That is amazing! Thanks for the find.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

I wish that, just once, it actually was aliens.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Randy

That would be cool, Sandy. I wonder if their TV signals have better content than ours.  :-\
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg