News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Happy New Orbit Day!!!

Started by Tank, July 25, 2021, 08:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icarus

Rec, you are a man of many interests.

I have been a ring steward at many dog shows as well.  In my case it was always obedience trials, not conformation shows. I participated in a few herding trials as well, but not as a competitor.  My Aussies were barely satisfactory at duck herding, never with sheep. I should have had Borders to do that work. I never could whistle well enough to do justice to a good Border Collie.

Who knew know that you were a doggie person?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on July 27, 2021, 08:08:31 AM
[...] ring steward at a dog show.[...]

How did you end up doing that?  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Quote from: Bad Penny II on July 27, 2021, 01:29:57 PM

Ye?

Celebration:1) A joyful occasion for special festivities to mark some happy event
I think not, not after your 21st anyway.

2) Any joyous diversion
Hmm, maybe joyous for we others but surely not for the incrementally older

3) The public performance of a sacrament or solemn ceremony with all appropriate ritual
Ye, that's more like it, that's what birthdays are.

Solemn commiserations Rec

I find it disturbing, the planets don't don't seem to be in a plane around old Sol, they appear to be all over the place.

Quote from: No one on July 25, 2021, 06:59:48 PM
Then why do we need to keep repeating it?

If you fall out of orbit the sun moves on, it gets dark, there's no wifi.

Dictionaries are necessary but insufficient. As noted, a funeral can be justly called a celebration un-ironically. The accuracy of that appellation depends on the funeral, and which aspect of the word you're thinking of.

It's true that I chose my words carefully-- Fully in agreement as I am that at some point in life one acknowledges the completion of another orbit implies the dwindling number of same that lie ahead. So what? It's always been a sooner or later proposition. Meanwhile: eat, drink, and be merry. Or not. Compelling people to engage in merriment produces grotesque results. Thank you for your kind commiserations.   :kelly:
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Recusant

As for the dog show business, I believe I've mentioned before that I grew up with Alaskan malamutes (see for instance the anecdote in this post, about midway through--you could be excused, Icarus, for a My Eyes Glazed Over reaction to ridiculous walls of text like that). My parents raced them (sled dog races) and showed them. So I've been going to dog shows since I was old enough to not be a major nuisance. That would be a fairly young age; children in my family were trained with about the same vigour as the dogs, or the first few of us were.

My family is still involved with AKC (American Kennel Club) shows. For years I've maintained my old position as mildly interested loiterer, after doing the driving to get to a show. Recently I was dragooned into ring steward work while innocently consuming some "free" pizza, when one of the stewards failed to appear at a small show in a park out in the woods. Ring stewards are apparently in short supply these days. I'm still learning, and since ring stewards are paid a pittance I'll only be doing local shows, which aren't all that frequent.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

Quote from: Recusant on July 29, 2021, 05:16:56 AM
Compelling people to engage in merriment produces grotesque results.

I think I know what this party needs...

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Recusant on July 29, 2021, 05:36:52 AM
As for the dog show business, I believe I've mentioned before that I grew up with Alaskan malamutes (see for instance the anecdote in this post, about midway through--you could be excused, Icarus, for a My Eyes Glazed Over reaction to ridiculous walls of text like that). My parents raced them (sled dog races) and showed them. So I've been going to dog shows since I was old enough to not be a major nuisance. That would be a fairly young age; children in my family were trained with about the same vigour as the dogs, or the first few of us were.

My family is still involved with AKC (American Kennel Club) shows. For years I've maintained my old position as mildly interested loiterer, after doing the driving to get to a show. Recently I was dragooned into ring steward work while innocently consuming some "free" pizza, when one of the stewards failed to appear at a small show in a park out in the woods. Ring stewards are apparently in short supply these days. I'm still learning, and since ring stewards are paid a pittance I'll only be doing local shows, which aren't all that frequent.

Alaskan malamutes are gorgeous dogs.

Bring out the super fluffy bois!

:grin: :love:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Icarus

Sometime ago we had an active member who was a confirmed Malamute person. Sledding trials and all.  She has disappeared from the forum. I miss her along with so many others. There was Dobermonster, and some others who were dog people.

Damn, I have been afflicted with interest in this forum for a long time.

Biggus Dickus

Happy Birthday Sir!

I hope you enjoy many more on your life's journey. 8)

P.S. You can always tell whose in charge as everyone else's birthday notice (Like Mags 109th) has their age listed in the OP.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Recusant

— H. L. Mencken

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant