News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Ban The Poster Above You

Started by The Magic Pudding, July 09, 2011, 02:08:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom62

Clique of 12 ban  ;)

Mmm, that sounds like an excellent name for a Borg collective.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Red_Cloud

Quote from: billy rubin on October 20, 2019, 05:18:49 PM

sup, red cloud?
im not a member of any clique here, and i'll talk about religion with you.

what do you see as the most important topic to start with?

Well thank you billy rubin 8) I'm pleased that nasty spider didn't get you!
I will post something later that we can chat about . . . :thumbsup:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 20, 2019, 01:10:29 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 12, 2019, 01:31:01 PM
Red Cloud, this forum and many of its regular members go way back. Even though we are an atheist forum, we hardly ever talk about atheism or religion...just check out the forum Stats and see its profile for yourself.

HAF is a little like Camelot, 'tis a silly place. :grin:

Silly threads and posts abound, but there's always room for more serious discussions, which is why I love this place.

I feel you could be a valued member here and hope you stick around (and chill :hammock:). I don't know what exactly it is you expect from this forum but perhaps...just maybe, your expectations are not aligned with the 'forum culture'?

Time to ponder? :thinking:
SilverPhinx. . . It appears to me that this place you call your "Camelot", your "Elysium" is nothing more that a clique of like minded friends, made up of no more than a dozen members. Hardly any of the many other members ever post anything. It is worth remembering that Camelot did eventually fall, from within! :'(
You say: "Even though we are an atheist forum, we hardly ever talk about atheism or religion." Well yes, I have noticed that. This forum doesn't exactly do "What it says on the tin" does it! I feel that there are many more issues which could be debated on various other subjects which are somewhat related to religious beliefs. Some which prey on the gullible and extract huge sums of money from them.
Yes, you may be right when you say ". . . perhaps...just maybe, your expectations are not aligned with the 'forum culture'?
I feel I have been somewhat ostracised from your little "clique".  Oh dear! Does that appear as if I am a cry baby and spitting my dummy out of the pram? :violin: But that is not so.  I will let your little clique of 12 ponder on this, although I don't expect much of a response. :felix:

I'll answer later today.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Siz

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 20, 2019, 05:49:49 PM

sup, red cloud?

Hello RC and BR.

What you've got to realise is that most of the long-serving members of this forum have done the subject of Religion to death. There's not an angle or a topic that hasn't been discussed many times. There're loads of threads you can see going back years that contain brilliant discussion. And some brilliantly amusing trolls, and religitards floating all the arguments and counter-arguments you can imagine and many you can't. The more things change in the world, the more they stay the same.

So, you're more than welcome to start discussions on any topic you choose, but perhaps the reason you may not get much in the way of vigorous discussion is that its not particularly interesting any more.

*my opinion only of course.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

billy rubin

sup, red cloud?

i rolled over on an orb weaver once in my sleep and took some nasty bitez on the back of my head. had a headache for a month.

i do not reccommend doing that.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

Quote from: Siz on October 20, 2019, 06:57:46 PM

sup, red cloud?

Hello RC and BR.

What you've got to realise is that most of the long-serving members of this forum have done the subject of Religion to death. There's not an angle or a topic that hasn't been discussed many times. There're loads of threads you can see going back years that contain brilliant discussion. And some brilliantly amusing trolls, and religitards floating all the arguments and counter-arguments you can imagine and many you can't. The more things change in the world, the more they stay the same.

So, you're more than welcome to start discussions on any topic you choose, but perhaps the reason you may not get much in the way of vigorous discussion is that its not particularly interesting any more.

yes, ive seen that before.

itz where i am with religion, in fact.

yet there are contradictions that are hard to escape. morality, for example. most atheists i know consider themselves to have a moral underpinning to their beliefs, but cant defend it logically. theists have them beat there.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Siz

Quote from: billy rubin on October 20, 2019, 07:32:16 PM
Quote from: Siz on October 20, 2019, 06:57:46 PM

sup, red cloud?

Hello RC and BR.

yes, ive seen that before.

itz where i am with religion, in fact.

yet there are contradictions that are hard to escape. morality, for example. most atheists i know consider themselves to have a moral underpinning to their beliefs, but cant defend it logically. theists have them beat there.

Haha, I'm not really the person to engage with if you want to make arguments based on moralistic judgements. But objective morality its a subject I very much enjoyed exploring.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

Thanks, Siz, that's what I wanted to say when I wrote: "Even though we are an atheist forum, we hardly ever talk about atheism or religion."  :thumbsup:

Red_Cloud

Quote from: Magdalena on October 20, 2019, 04:45:24 PM

I'm sad to admit this is exactly what I thought of this place when I joined 9 or 10 yrs ago.
:therethere:
I've left so many times... :felix: Tank, how many times have I left because I'm not happy here?
I've lost count. :grin:

Don't go, Red_Cloud, or just  take a break from us if you must, but come back.
Oh, and  :secrets1: try to not insult people too much. I know it's fun, believe me I want to do the same sometiemes...Well, many times...

Thanks for your friendly reply Magdalena. :thumbsup2:
When I was much younger I was a loner, I was picked on and bullied at school. But over time I made many friends. I was still sometimes bullied, but friends would often look out for me.
Today I still have many friends, some whose friendship goes back many years, even back to my schooldays. I have never intended to insult any member here, (all but one, and I think he has left!)
I tend to attract friends where we exchange a lot of playful banter. Probably because I'm like this also.
I'm like this with my wife and children and they are the same with me. I'm the only male in our household of four, so I am outnumbered, so they often gain the upper hand, but only in a jovial and friendly way.
If you look at a number of my posts you will see that I "take the piss" of myself as much as I do others.
Like the post below, which I don't think many sussed!
Ban - The Magic Pudding for starting this puerile vomit inducing thread!
Ban - All the arse scratching "Shit-for-brains" HAF members who have posted in this thread!
Ban - ALL the HAF members who have ever posted ANYTHING in this immature forum!
Ban - This fucking HAF forum!
Ban - Any habitual wanker who repeatedly ends every sentence with an exclamation mark!
But - DON'T ban Magdalena!

i will try to kerb my piss-taking, although i might find it difficult. :couchhide:

Siz

Magdalena

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 20, 2019, 08:06:46 PM
i will try to kerb my piss-taking, although i might find it difficult. :couchhide:
Yes, I've noticed your style.  :grin:

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 04, 2019, 10:14:28 PM
Quote from: Ricardo on October 04, 2019, 09:53:18 PM

Can this subject come under the purview of science?

Kiss my Goddam ass Ricardo. . . Goodbye! :terrapin:

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 08, 2019, 08:53:27 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on October 08, 2019, 05:43:39 AM

You are full of Christ.
It just shows.

Tell me, was my statement a compliment, or an insult?

Well! . . . He is certainly full of something Magdalena! :rofl:

Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 18, 2019, 11:16:55 AM
You know what you can do Ricardo?

:f you:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

xSilverPhinx

Red Cloud, Siz said it better than I, this has become a small community of atheists and theists whose primary focus is not talking about religion- and atheism-related topics. This doesn't mean you shouldn't start new threads on such topics -- if you want, then, by all means, do -- it's just possible it'll be one of those 'dejá-vù threads'.

Because we're a small online community, I can understand why you would see us as 'cliquey'. I get that there's an invisible barrier that new members will feel they have to break through to feel accepted. But what you have to understand is that antagonising and insulting others will not help you break that barrier, on the contrary, and it will only feed your frustration.

What surprised me is this:

QuoteI was actually directing my post to SilverPhinx who in turn was "putting me in my place" in response to a previous post I had the affront to submit.

I was not 'putting you in your place' with my request for you not to fling insults at another member. I was requesting that you not insult another person. It was not personal, it was not an attack, and I have nothing against you, Red Cloud. Had the tables been turned and it was you being treated like a chew toy I would've said the same thing to the one attacking you.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on October 08, 2019, 06:56:54 PM
Quote from: Red_Cloud on October 08, 2019, 08:53:27 AM
Well! . . . He is certainly full of something Magdalena! :rofl:

Please refrain from posting such statements, Red Cloud. We try to keep the atmosphere in this forum civil, and I ask that you do not make our job difficult.

You said Camelot fell from within, that is true of many forums as well, and in my experience it's usually a prevailing toxic atmosphere that's one of the main causes of implosion. That's what we try and avoid, otherwise, the moderation of this forum is pretty lax, especially compared to some larger forums. If you stick around (and don't give us a reason to remind you to play nice ;) ), you might see for yourself that besides being a silly place, we're a really laid back bunch. Anyway, I hope you do stick around, even if HAF is not what you expected it to be.

No one

xSilverPhinx

Recusant

". . . had the affront [effrontery] . . ."  Whilst I can see the perspective from which whinging may not be completely without justification, I also think it worthwhile to use the appropriate terms in the process. :sidesmile:

Speaking of which, it's worth noting that other than gentle reminders of the site rules, the staff have been rather tolerant of definite contraventions of the same. There are many places where casual vitriol is, if not welcome and appreciated, completely acceptable. This is not one of those places.

Self-ban for being pernickety regarding diction.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken