News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

HAF App for iPhone

Started by wildfire_emissary, January 25, 2011, 12:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildfire_emissary

If I knew how to make apps for the iPhone, I'd love to make one with HAF.  :)
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

joeactor

No need... My Droid works great with the forum...

(just sayin')

LegendarySandwich

Yeah, it seems kind of pointless to develop an app for a forum when you can just visit it on your phone's browser.

Whitney

Quote from: "LegendarySandwich"Yeah, it seems kind of pointless to develop an app for a forum when you can just visit it on your phone's browser.

yup....no to mention that I'm not paying someone to make an app.

hismikeness

Quote from: "wildfire_emissary"If I knew how to make apps for the iPhone, I'd love to make one with HAF.  :)

This has been brought up before... by me in fact.

I think a more mobile friendly version of the same site would be awesome. I have several of the boards that I read frequently "home paged" on my iPhone so I don't waste data clicking on the browser, than bookmarks, etc. To me, an app with the exact same posts and mobile functionality would only be helpful if it used less data from my plan to load and use. I have the small data plan, and I stay under it, so I don't do a lot of heavy browsing when away from wifi.

I've made several posts from my phone, and the buttons to add bold, italics, underline, quote, etc can be tough to negotiate, but still doable.
No churches have free wifi because they don't want to compete with an invisible force that works.

When the alien invasion does indeed happen, if everyone would just go out into the streets & inexpertly play the flute, they'll just go. -@UncleDynamite

joeactor

... a quick google came up with this one:
http://www.forumrunner.net/

Free for forum owners to install.
Has iPhone and Android app versions.
(free app is read-only, paid is full access)

Not sure how good it is, just throwing it in the fray...

Whitney

I'm very wary of installing stuff to the forum that wouldn't be supported by phpbb help.

I know a guy who designs apps for a living, if he every owes me a big favor I'll talk to him about what he could do to make one for HAF that could work on iphone, android and blackberry.

wildfire_emissary

Yeah safari can access HAF. I guess I was just feeling lazy zooming in and out of the site through it. I just thought having an HAF app like the facebook app would be cool. Now I realize I have a new objective in life: learn to make an HAF iPhone app.  :)
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire

Tom62

Quote from: "joeactor"... a quick google came up with this one:
http://www.forumrunner.net/

Free for forum owners to install.
Has iPhone and Android app versions.
(free app is read-only, paid is full access)

Not sure how good it is, just throwing it in the fray...
That App looks very promising. I'll try out the freeware version on my iPod Touch, to see how it looks like. If I could get all my favourite phpbb forums on my iPod in a single App than that would make me a very happy atheist indeed.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tom62

I played around with the "forum runner" App and I must say that I like it. I just discovered some very interesting new forums, like the Australian Atheist Forum and some technical support forums (Mac, Microsoft, etc.). The only "drawbacks" that I've found so far are:

- there are only a few non-English speaking forums registered
- the App hasn't been translated in other languages
- no version available [yet] for the Blackberry
- some user complain that they can't view larger images
- theist forums are overrepresented  ;)
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

terranus

Over at the Nexus One Forum they're big on the Tapatalk app I know which apparently makes it a lot easier to post on forums/message boards. Not sure if the App is for both Android and iPhone...but I know it's very cheap and available in the Android Market. Pretty sure it would work with this forum, though I haven't tried it yet.

The Forum Runner thing looks kinda cool...but would it work with a forum based on phpBB?
Trovas Veron!
--terranus | http://terranus.org--

Tom62

Quote from: "terranus"Over at the Nexus One Forum they're big on the Tapatalk app I know which apparently makes it a lot easier to post on forums/message boards. Not sure if the App is for both Android and iPhone...but I know it's very cheap and available in the Android Market. Pretty sure it would work with this forum, though I haven't tried it yet.

The Forum Runner thing looks kinda cool...but would it work with a forum based on phpBB?
Tapatalk is also available for the iPhone and it would work with phpbb forums. In the German App Store it is better rated than Forum Runner.
Here is a link to their website http://www.tapatalk.com/
Robert A. Heinlein

wildfire_emissary

Quote from: "Tom62"
Quote from: "terranus"Over at the Nexus One Forum they're big on the Tapatalk app I know which apparently makes it a lot easier to post on forums/message boards. Not sure if the App is for both Android and iPhone...but I know it's very cheap and available in the Android Market. Pretty sure it would work with this forum, though I haven't tried it yet.

Tapatalk is also available for the iPhone and it would work with phpbb forums. In the German App Store it is better rated than Forum Runner.
Man this is sweet! Thanks for the info. I'm in the process of buying it for 3 dollars.

Whitney

Quote from: "Tom62"Tapatalk is also available for the iPhone and it would work with phpbb forums. In the German App Store it is better rated than Forum Runner.

That one might work...I'll have to see what the plugin does to the forum's code...as long as it doesn't mix itself in I'd feel okay installing it.

LegendarySandwich

Well, I don't have a smartphone ( :verysad: ), so this doesn't really affect me at all, but if (when) I do get one, It'd be nice to be able to cleanly visit this forum on it.