News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Official* HAF Video Game Thread

Started by curiosityandthecat, March 17, 2009, 08:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlrose328

Quote from: "quizlixx"Just puttin it out there. . . HAF weekend takeover of world of warcraft. if you don't play it, get the demo, it would be a fun way to have a good time and a live chat with some fellow gamers we all know and love from the forums.
I'm thinking some weekend maybe. :-)  This is the FIRST year he's actively wanted to go outside to play... and he's NINE!  So yeah, it works.

Hubby started a guild but we're not usually the socializers so we have no way to build it.  It's called "Zombie Jeebus."  :-)

SO name the weekend and we'll be there!
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

Phillysoul11

Quote from: "Godless"
Quote from: "Phillysoul11"Counter Strike (all of them except for source)

Super Smash Brothers (all) *orgasm*
Super Mario 64, SMB,SMW, Mario Kart (64,DD,Wii,)

Nintendo pretty much owns microsoft and sony, sorry  :hide2:
My philosophy when it come to video games is: first person shooters need to stay on the PC, Nintendo takes care of everything else.

Uhh... not this gaming generation. The Wii has been churning out a ton of shovelware that you have to wade through before you get to the good games. The majority of the good games on the Wii are made by Nintendo and they are few and far between. On the other hand, the Xbox 360 and PS3 have much larger line-ups of AAA titles. But still, my preferred gaming platform is the PC.

PC > Consoles any day for me.
SSBB, Galaxy, MP3 corruption, MK Wii are the only good games for the wii but they are fantastic.  This gaming generation goes to the 360 but all in all Nintendo has better systems, I would rather play N64 than PS3, but thats just me.
http://www.twitter.com/Phillysoul11

Keep the dream alive... hit the snooze button

Hat

Hullo fellow gamers '3'

When it comes to gaming I'm That Awkward Person that doesn't like to pick sides in the Console War. Been gaming since I was 3 or 4 when I got that big ol' brick of a gameboy and a copy of Centipedes and Millipedes. From there I just kept going getting whatever I could (mainly Pokemon, lawd those games are my weakness argh) as the years went by. I remember when I got my PS and N64 people would tell me "What'll you do when you're older and not want to play games?" Hahaha, I don't think that'll happen anytime soon :P I'd love to be able to still play games when I'm older and teach my kids how to be awesome at them and stuff.

Right now I give the most attention to my Nintendo DS, PS2 and Xbox 360, with the poor Wii being horribly neglected since I got my 360 last Christmas. It'll probably get worse or shoved into a corner whenever I save up enough for a PS3. I'm mainly into Roleplaying Games (Fable II, Final Fantasy, GuildWars) and First Person Shooters (Call of Duty; WaW, Left 4 Dead, Team Fortress 2) but I'm up for anything that strikes my fancy. One thing that'll always make me happy will be games where I get to shoot me some zombies o3o-b

rlrose328

Quote from: "Hat"Been gaming since I was 3 or 4 when I got that big ol' brick of a gameboy and a copy of Centipedes and Millipedes. From there I just kept going getting whatever I could (mainly Pokemon, lawd those games are my weakness argh) as the years went by. I remember when I got my PS and N64 people would tell me "What'll you do when you're older and not want to play games?" Hahaha, I don't think that'll happen anytime soon :-)
**Kerri**

Hat

Quote from: "rlrose328"I can SOOOO related to this, but I was 27 when I got the first Gameboy (March 1990) and I was addicted to Mario and Tetris, sitting on the porch and playing with the spinster who lived across from me... yup, got her hooked when I was out there playing every evening.  I still have that thing in my memory drawer.  We have over 25 Gameboys in this house, from that original to the color to the pocket to the micro, to the DS and beyond.  My hubby, my son, and I all have 2 active DSs so we can have one charging while we play.  Actually, the kid has 3... the original white, a Legend of Zelda gold, and the red Mario one that came out last year.

And yes, we are so addicted to Pokemon in this house, all 3 of us, that the hubby and the kid finished the JAPANESE Diamond AND the latest Platinum long before they they were released in the US.  It's fun to watch them try to figure out what attack they are doing or what thing they are about to pick up might be on those cartridges!  I played the original blue and red when I was pregnant in 1989.  Wow.  We have multiple cartridges of just about all Pokemon Gameboy and DS cartridges in this house as well.  So yes, I understand your addiction and weakness.  :)  Didn't have that on the Gameboy, but I always play it in my spare time on the PC in College and at home. Hella addicting little game that is. All that's left of my old game boy collection is the old brick like one, my Game Boy Colour, the printer for the GBC and my old broken Game Boy Advance. My GBA broke while we were in Lourdes once but the SP came out shortly after so we didn't bother getting it fixed and got an SP to replace it. Then I gave that in as a deposit for a DS. Totally regret that move now, I miss my old SP. Awesome little gadget that was.

Aw man, my obsession started when I got the Red & Blue games. I got tired of waiting for Platinum to get to the UK (May 22nd pffff) so I ordered it from the USA. It's one of the reasons I like the DS over the DSi, you can still buy games from other regions and play them on the DS. The DSi is unable to do that. Plus it doesn't have a little GBA port so I'm not too fond of it. But it is a cute little piece of hardware though  :P

joeactor

(old man mode: Activate!)

I remember when we only had 1 button!
And color was either black, or white!
You had to hook it up to your tv with bare wires!

... and we were THANKFUL!

(old man mode: De-Activate!)

Yep, I had an original "Pong" game.
Now, I've got 2 DS's, a Wii, Xbox360, and an old GameCube somewhere... plus the PC.

My fave machine of all time?

Vectrex.  Hands down.

Look it up young'uns...

(mumbles incoherantly away),
Joe "You Kids Get Off My Lawn!" Actor

quizlixx

Quote from: "joeactor"(old man mode: Activate!)

I remember when we only had 1 button!
And color was either black, or white!
You had to hook it up to your tv with bare wires!

... and we were THANKFUL!

(old man mode: De-Activate!)

Yep, I had an original "Pong" game.
Now, I've got 2 DS's, a Wii, Xbox360, and an old GameCube somewhere... plus the PC.

My fave machine of all time?

Vectrex.  Hands down.

Look it up young'uns...

(mumbles incoherantly away),
Joe "You Kids Get Off My Lawn!" Actor
(young whipersnapper mode: activate)

my very first console was the sega genesis, and my very first game was sonic the hedgehog. now adays, it seems like they hate sonic and WANT him to die, SONIC AND THE BLACK KNIGHT!?! what the hell. sonic dosen't use swords!

(young whipersnapper mode: de-activate)

(sigh) we need more 16 bit games, and i mean high quality games like mario and the original sonic. just because the graphics are "outdated" doesn't mean they are bad, just that the game producers suck. but as far as  the WoW weekend, i play on wyrmrest accord, it's in my spoiler.
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

rlrose328

Quote from: "Hat"Aw man, Tetris!  :P

I do have the Tetris DS... it's fun but the games on it are hardly Tetris for the purist.  <sniff>   :P

I soooo want a DSi, but the fact that I wouldn't be able to play some of my favorite games makes it out of the question.  If they'd just make the DS a calendar/planner/media player, I'd be so happy!  For Christmas, Hubby got the kid a DS cartridge with a little tiny programmable media in it and it has space for several DS games on it.  I have no idea how he downloaded them to it, but it has 4 of the kid's favorite games, so when we go somewhere that is DS-able, he doesn't have to drag along his DS case and risk losing cartridges.  He lost his Pokemon Pearl and he STILL complains about it bitterly... it had his two most powerful pokemon that he'd transferred from the previous game.  Oh well.
**Kerri**

Hat

Quote from: "rlrose328"I forgot to mention... one year for Christmas, my husband got me a IZEK sewing machine that came with a matching Gameboy Color and a cartridge with hundreds of special stitches and a few sewn alphabets.  I kid you not.  When he first told me about it well before Christmas that year, I just KNEW he was making it up to tease me about my addiction.  But I've used it for my scrapbooking hundreds of times... borders, name plates, phrases... it's so fun to use!  And I did make a pillow once, too.   :D
Oh wow. There are no words for that sewing machine, I'm speechless. I'm amazed such a thing exists. It's awesome and weird at the same time.
I think my mind's trying to get around the Idea of being able to make things with it. Surely it must be difficult, no? I mean, with the D-Pad and everything.
I dunno pff, it's probably one of those things that looks uber hard but is alright once you get used to it. It's just so strange looking xD;;

Quote from: "rlrose328"I soooo want a DSi, but the fact that I wouldn't be able to play some of my favorite games makes it out of the question.  If they'd just make the DS a calendar/planner/media player, I'd be so happy!  For Christmas, Hubby got the kid a DS cartridge with a little tiny programmable media in it and it has space for several DS games on it.  I have no idea how he downloaded them to it, but it has 4 of the kid's favorite games, so when we go somewhere that is DS-able, he doesn't have to drag along his DS case and risk losing cartridges.  He lost his Pokemon Pearl and he STILL complains about it bitterly... it had his two most powerful Pokemon that he'd transferred from the previous game.  Oh well.
I'm the same. I didn't buy one simply because a lot of my fav GBA games wouldn't be playable. Well, that and the region thing. It's still a pretty little thing though, finally gives the PSP a run for it's money  :P  And yeah, I know about them little cartridges. R4 DS Cards or something like that. I don't have any myself, but they're totally useful little things. My cousin told me his daughter's friend had one and now Eimer, the little one, wants one. 'Course they're all turning to me for stuff since I'm suddenly the family Game Guru just because I'm studying them pffffffff. And I can totally understand the loosing powerful Pokemon thing. Back when I was young, me and this girl who I was friends with traded Pokemon. I have her my Mew and Mewtwo and to this day I never got either of them back. Gutted man D:

Quote from: "quizlixx"(sigh) we need more 16 bit games, and i mean high quality games like mario and the original sonic. just because the graphics are "outdated" doesn't mean they are bad, just that the game producers suck.
I half agree here. To me, graphics aren't everything about a game, it's the gameplay. The guys in my class argue that without good graphics, gameplay isn't very good but that's just their opinion. To me, If the Idea is good and is executed well enough, then good on the developers. The good graphics are just an added bonus o3o-b

rlrose328

Quote from: "Hat"
Quote from: "quizlixx"(sigh) we need more 16 bit games, and i mean high quality games like mario and the original sonic. just because the graphics are "outdated" doesn't mean they are bad, just that the game producers suck.
I half agree here. To me, graphics aren't everything about a game, it's the gameplay. The guys in my class argue that without good graphics, gameplay isn't very good but that's just their opinion. To me, If the Idea is good and is executed well enough, then good on the developers. The good graphics are just an added bonus o3o-b

We downloaded a number of old games on the WII for our 9yo son and he LOVES them (Mario mainly... anything Mario is his domain these days... but there are a few others I can't remember).  When I first saw them on the big screen, I was dazed... it had been SO LONG since I'd seen those choppy, kinda pixely graphics.  Really brought back memories.  The kid will play those games before many of the newer games when given the chance.  It's in his DNA, I guess.  ;-)
**Kerri**

karadan

Quote from: "quizlixx"(sigh) we need more 16 bit games, and i mean high quality games like mario and the original sonic. just because the graphics are "outdated" doesn't mean they are bad, just that the game producers suck. but as far as  the WoW weekend, i play on wyrmrest accord, it's in my spoiler.

I just can't bring myself to agree with this statement. Mario and its ilk are not high quality imo. They do not think out of the box. From the outset, Mario was very weird. A plumber jumping on mushrooms? Side scrolling yawn-fests like Mario have helped dilute much of the gaming industry. I never saw the point of these types of games.

Now, my Atari ST used to have immaculate games on it. Games like Epic or Another World which were the epitome of elegant programming (i had 512k RAM!). Remember, this was at the same time as the NES which had games like Duck Hunt. I had Monkey Island. The NES had Mario and i had Geoff Crammond's F1 GP and Llamatron. There was no competiton in my opinion. I've never really understood the 'you don't need decent graphics in a game for it to be good' rule Nintendo users seem so proud of. Isn't that just another way of saying, 'our graphics capabilities have always been shit, so lets just look on the bright side shall we?' I think a game should look nice to begin with, then make it interesting with story arcs (unless you simply want to play chess). The graphics for Nintendo games are outdated as soon as they come out.

Sorry for the rant, haven't had my morning coffee yet :p
QuoteI find it mistifying that in this age of information, some people still deny the scientific history of our existence.

Godless

Quote from: "karadan"
Quote from: "quizlixx"(sigh) we need more 16 bit games, and i mean high quality games like mario and the original sonic. just because the graphics are "outdated" doesn't mean they are bad, just that the game producers suck. but as far as  the WoW weekend, i play on wyrmrest accord, it's in my spoiler.

I just can't bring myself to agree with this statement. Mario and its ilk are not high quality imo. They do not think out of the box. From the outset, Mario was very weird. A plumber jumping on mushrooms? Side scrolling yawn-fests like Mario have helped dilute much of the gaming industry. I never saw the point of these types of games.

Now, my Atari ST used to have immaculate games on it. Games like Epic or Another World which were the epitome of elegant programming (i had 512k RAM!). Remember, this was at the same time as the NES which had games like Duck Hunt. I had Monkey Island. The NES had Mario and i had Geoff Crammond's F1 GP and Llamatron. There was no competiton in my opinion. I've never really understood the 'you don't need decent graphics in a game for it to be good' rule Nintendo users seem so proud of. Isn't that just another way of saying, 'our graphics capabilities have always been shit, so lets just look on the bright side shall we?' I think a game should look nice to begin with, then make it interesting with story arcs (unless you simply want to play chess). The graphics for Nintendo games are outdated as soon as they come out.

Sorry for the rant, haven't had my morning coffee yet :p

That's one reason why PC gaming > Console gaming. Once a console comes out, it is stuck with that hardware for its entire lifetime and developers are forced to limit their games so they can run on those consoles. However, new hardware is always coming out for PCs so they can be upgraded whenever users feel like it. Instead of having to develop games for outdated hardware, developers can implement the newest technology to make their games even better.

quizlixx

but a console is a one time buy and if they make a good enough system straight from the chute, then they can offer online updates to keep it up with industry standards. i will agree that PC's are going to have better graphics capability, but that does not mean all games will use them to their fullest potential, however on a console, if the graphics aren't as good as they can be for it's time, the game will get ripped to shreds by reviewers. anyways, i will always be in favor of console over PC. . . . . . . until diablo 3 comes out maybe. and starcraft 2
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."

curiosityandthecat

I keep my computing and gaming segregated for productivity reasons. If I could just willy-nilly play any game I wanted to on my computer I would never get any actual work done. I'm bad enough about that, as it is. Then again, I do have *coughallcough* a few NES and SNES roms on the laptop and hook that up to the TV via HDMI and play with my PS3 controller... but that's just me.  :D I grew up with consoles, so sitting in front of the television playing a game is just what I think of when I think "video game".
-Curio

quizlixx

Also for me, i have a mac, so computer gaming is rather limited for me :)