News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

What are you drinking now?

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, December 25, 2020, 03:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Courvoisier VSOP cognac.  I'm at a cabin on Table Rock Lake in Missouri, and I intend to check out some of the local whiskeys tomorrow.

Randy

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 28, 2020, 12:16:20 AM
Courvoisier VSOP cognac.  I'm at a cabin on Table Rock Lake in Missouri, and I intend to check out some of the local whiskeys tomorrow.
I envy you! I'm drinking water. I'm not allowed to have much and most things don't taste right anyway.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on December 28, 2020, 12:16:20 AM

Strangely enough, I like the VS more. Have you tried Hennessy VS? I like it better than Courvoisier. Just a different set of taste buds, to be sure. I'm currently imbibing some Budweiser in a bottle. Yeah, I'm a Philistine. :shrug:

billy rubin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 27, 2020, 08:05:05 PM
What are FORTRAN and JCL? Are those like names of 60s and 70s music bands or something? :lol:  :P

yes, citizen of the present . . .

back then computers only communicated in 80-column cards.

heavens. my first computer was named UNIVAC

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on December 28, 2020, 02:05:13 AM
What are FORTRAN and JCL? Are those like names of 60s and 70s music bands or something? :lol:  :P

:rofl: MY first "computer" was a slide rule.

Tank

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 28, 2020, 02:18:33 AM
Quote from: billy rubin on December 28, 2020, 02:05:13 AM

:rofl: MY first "computer" was a slide rule.

Mine too! I was in the last school year taught how to use a slide rule and the first to be allowed to use a calculator.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Got some schooling in the Navy, in '74. Still using slide rules. I did buy a calculator (Texas Instruments SR-40) when I started uni in Fall '77.

Randy

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 27, 2020, 01:02:15 PM
In spite of the stereotype of sailor drinking coffee, I drank perhaps 5 cups when I was in the Navy. It wasn't until my second year of uni that I picked up the habit. FORTRAN programming at 7 AM.  :yawn:
I don't remember when I started drinking coffee heavily. It was definitely due to computer programming although I was fortunate not to have to use FORTRAN. I knew how but no company I worked for used it.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

xSilverPhinx

Hmm...alien machines. My first desktop looked pretty much like a modern PC, except for the floppy disk drive and huge monitor. :P I think it was a Pentium III, and had about 124 mb of RAM. ::) I had a DVD-Rom installed, and machine didn't even have enough memory to watch a DVD without it stuttering all the time. ::)

Those were the days. ::)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Dark Lightning

Budweiser. I may make it to three 12-ounce bottles. Yeah, I'm a cheap date. :shrug:

Anne D.

Quote from: Recusant on December 27, 2020, 08:06:57 PM
Made some vin de noix this year. The recipe I use is not the one given there--I'm not sure where I got that, since I last made it four years ago. It's a pleasant aperitif, similar to port but with a slight astringency.

Wow--fancy.

I'm drinking Bell's Light Hearted Ale, a decent low-cal approximation of Bell's regular IPA. In the mornings I've been drinking egg nog in my coffee, which I usually have black. I so love egg nog.

billy rubin

My Day Off

teh wife works nights and is still asleep at noon.

i started with coffee, graduated to a bottle of 12 dogs of christmas ale my daughter's bioyfriend gave me.

he's a really nice kid, but he's studying to be an accountant.

this is mystifying to me. i don't understand how someone could want to be an accountant. not that there's anything wrong, but my mind just doesn't comprehend that type of thinking.

not his limitation, buut rathermine.

anyway, i have some crown royal now that looks lonely

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Ecurb Noselrub

Copper Run small batch whiskey in our rented cabin near Branson, MO. A blended whiskey, sweet & smooth, fitting for the beautiful Ozarks.  Regarding the question of cognacs, I'm a VSOP over VS man.  I like Courvoisier, Remy Martin, Hennessy, and all the rest if it's VSOP.  The only XO I've found to my taste is Camus.

billy rubin

Randy

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 29, 2020, 12:49:52 AM
Budweiser. I may make it to three 12-ounce bottles. Yeah, I'm a cheap date. :shrug:
My father was a manager at a fast food restaurant and well loved by his employees. He came home one Christmas eve with boxes upon boxes of Budweiser. I had to help him get them out of the trunk. We opened one each and said "Merry Christmas!" Ah the good old days.

I was never a big fan of Budweiser but free beer is free beer so I'll take it.