News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

What are you drinking now?

Started by Ecurb Noselrub, December 25, 2020, 03:15:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Hot Chocohol.  I made it up: Godiva Dark Chocolate Liqueur and Sweet Lucy Cream Liqueur, about a 3 to 1 mix respectively, with a mini-marshmallow, served hot. Gave it to the guys at the gym this morning (I was dressed as Santa and led a singing with my guitar), and it was a hit. 

Tom62

I'm enjoying a Franziskaner Weissbier at this moment.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Icarus

Cheap Canadian blend called Canadian Club.  Pretty fair booze for the price.  Far better that rotgut stuff that often costs more.

My supermarket chain has liquor stores separate from their grocery stores.  Publix has more than a thousand stores in the southeast.   My cheap booze is often put on sale for $16.99 for a 1.75 liter bottle.  The deal is to buy two and get a six dollar discount.  Thus making the perfectly consumable hooch $13.99 per 1.75 liter.    When not on sale it is priced at $19.99. 

Once in a blue moon, I will splurge for a bottle of good quality scotch.  There is a lot to argue about when deciding just which "good" scotch is superior to another one.  For damned sure the most expensive ones are not necessarily the best of them. Subjective judgements and taste preferences are in play.

My somewhat prosperous daughter, who lives far away, is inclined to spoil me with gifts of expensive liquor.  I appreciate her extravagant gifts but most of the time fail to enjoy the up scale stuff in proportion to the difference in price of my gifts or the ordinary stuff that I ordinarily consume.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Icarus on December 26, 2020, 12:54:23 AM
Cheap Canadian blend called Canadian Club.  Pretty fair booze for the price.  Far better that rotgut stuff that often costs more.

My supermarket chain has liquor stores separate from their grocery stores.  Publix has more than a thousand stores in the southeast.   My cheap booze is often put on sale for $16.99 for a 1.75 liter bottle.  The deal is to buy two and get a six dollar discount.  Thus making the perfectly consumable hooch $13.99 per 1.75 liter.    When not on sale it is priced at $19.99. 

Once in a blue moon, I will splurge for a bottle of good quality scotch.  There is a lot to argue about when deciding just which "good" scotch is superior to another one.  For damned sure the most expensive ones are not necessarily the best of them. Subjective judgements and taste preferences are in play.

My somewhat prosperous daughter, who lives far away, is inclined to spoil me with gifts of expensive liquor.  I appreciate her extravagant gifts but most of the time fail to enjoy the up scale stuff in proportion to the difference in price of my gifts or the ordinary stuff that I ordinarily consume.

Too true! I was on travel back in the early 2000s and bought a bottle of Bowmore scotch, before I knew what an Islay scotch was. Yeesh. I left it in the motel, but I'll bet that the cleaning staff had to empty it out, down the drain. I'm careful to look for "peaty" in the description when buying scotch, though I haven't bought any in quite a while. I've cut back on alcohol both for reflux and the need to take pain meds for my foot problems. I did buy a 6 pack of Bass ale the other day, one bottle of which I am currently drinking. I've also had a snort of Wild Turkey 101 proof. Man, that stuff is good! But I can't indulge too much, or I will suffer later.

Tom62

Wild Turkey and Bowmore are indeed very potent stuff. In the eightees, Bowmore was even salty of taste. It took some glasses to get used to.
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Bad Penny II

Quote from: Icarus on December 26, 2020, 12:54:23 AM

Ha, ye...
Here we are taxed on the stuff the judgmental say we shouldn't be doing.
I don't  mind when it's tobacco, 'cause I don't do it and they shouldn't be.
The standard measure, a slab of beer 24 x 375ml, there's $15 tax on 'em.
With tax applied you can get a cheap slab for $30-32ish.
If you think yourself not of the riff raff you'll spend $50
Wine has been spared tax 'cause it's what Jesus drank
Not really the reason? the vinters have something going
You can get 4 litres of wine for A$11 US$8.25
Your perfectly consumable hooch $13.99 per 1.75 liter
It would probably be A$70, divide by 100 x 75 US$52.50

I'm drinking beer I made, it's OK, nice, I wouldn't spruik it.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.

Dark Lightning

Coffee. Gotta get caffeinated, then walk the dog.

Icarus

Somehow I do not care for coffee.  Does that make me Un American of something?    Instead I have a taste for tea.  My current favorites are Twinings English Breakfast.   That is a morning and mid day beverage.   Friend wife favors Tazo brand teas which I find....Blaaaah.

Dark Lightning

In spite of the stereotype of sailor drinking coffee, I drank perhaps 5 cups when I was in the Navy. It wasn't until my second year of uni that I picked up the habit. FORTRAN programming at 7 AM.  :yawn:

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 27, 2020, 01:02:15 PM
In spite of the stereotype of sailor drinking coffee, I drank perhaps 5 cups when I was in the Navy. It wasn't until my second year of uni that I picked up the habit. FORTRAN programming at 7 AM.  :yawn:

They told me I would start drinking coffee when I joined the lab...that didn't happen.  ;D I can't stand the stuff.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

i still dream in JCL

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: billy rubin on December 27, 2020, 07:24:47 PM

i still dream in JCL

What are FORTRAN and JCL? Are those like names of 60s and 70s music bands or something? :lol:  :P
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Recusant

Made some vin de noix this year. The recipe I use is not the one given there--I'm not sure where I got that, since I last made it four years ago. It's a pleasant aperitif, similar to port but with a slight astringency.   
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Dark Lightning

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on December 27, 2020, 08:05:05 PM
Quote from: billy rubin on December 27, 2020, 07:24:47 PM

i still dream in JCL

What are FORTRAN and JCL? Are those like names of 60s and 70s music bands or something? :lol:  :P

FORmula TRANslation. Primarily number-crunching code. I wrote mostly electromagnetic propagation and scattering programs. I don't dream in FORTRAN, and haven't written any code in over 20 years.