News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

everytime I login...

Started by Samdango, June 11, 2008, 08:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samdango

...my router stops working.  It never did it before, it doesn't do it anywhere else.  I'll be lucky if I have 5 mins before I have to restart it.

Anybody else encounter this problem?  Strange....
"God so loved the world that he made up his mind to damn a large majority of the human race"
-Robert Green Ingersoll

Asmodean

Now that is indeed strange.

Well, one thing I can say with near certainty and that is that the software this board is on does not and can not send shutdown command to your router.

What router are you using? Does it have some kind of "threat shutdown" protocole running or something like that? (as in if the firewall senses a hack atttempt, the router shuts down) Because in that case it might, just might, be reacting to the cookie this forum tries to create.

Other than that and a bunch of viruses (on server end as well as on your end), I have no ideas.  :unsure:

EDIT: have you tried browsing the board logged off? Does it work ok then?
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Whitney

Quote from: "Samdango"...my router stops working.  It never did it before, it doesn't do it anywhere else.  I'll be lucky if I have 5 mins before I have to restart it.

Anybody else encounter this problem?  Strange....

That is very strange....

Has this happened since you have been coming to the forum or is it a new problem?  If it is a new problem, have you messed with any router settings recently and have you run a check for spyware/viruses?

There shouldn't be anything about this site that would cause your router to shut down...it's basically a clean install of phpbb, which quite a few forums are based on.

Have you tried visiting other forums...do you get the same problem?  Join this forum http://www.friendlyatheist.com/phpBB3/index.php (picked at random since it's an atheist forum and also uses phpbb3) see if you get the same problem after login.  If you do get the same problem, then do the same with http://www.atheistthinktank.net/thinktank/index.php and tell me if you get a problem with that site (they use a different forum base).

What kind of firewall are  you using, what kind of computer do you have etc...i'm not sure what all might be helpful when I ask this on the support board, so list anything that could be potentially connected to your router.

If we can narrow down possible causes I can then ask phpbb support for what can be done to fix the issue and if there is any way it is the forum's fault.

Will

Could... could it be god?

But seriously, I'm also curious as to what router and what anti-virus/spyware software you're running.
I want bad people to look forward to and celebrate the day I die, because if they don't, I'm not living up to my potential.

crocofish

I have not heard of a web site causing a router to shut down.  I have seen some web sites that won't work correctly through some routers.  I have also seen heavy download traffic crashing routers also.

Normally, if I would use Google to search for your router model and phpbb to find if others have seen your model of router crash with phpbb.
"The cloud condenses, and looks back on itself, in wonder." -- unknown