News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

animals in your life

Started by billy rubin, April 23, 2020, 01:04:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Dickus

I'll work out I promise, no really...I want to burn off some of this winter fat.

Woof Woof!

Lazy bastard....

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

billy rubin

its spring.

after a week out losing wheels in pennsylvania and maryland, after multiple flats and brake problems last week in pennsylbvania too, i am home for tonight and tomorrow. then off to nebraska with coils of sheet metal, and probably back to ohio with bulk rod and bars, slinkies or crowbars. or chisels.

but in the meantime, the day here was warm. when i got hme i listened, and the redwing blackbirds were calling. the males arrive before the females in order to set up territories, and they were all singing in the evening.

and then fter dark,  the peepers. first frogs of the spring. theyll call even with ice on the water. just a few, but when im back in a week theyll be choruses of thousands. they wait and wait, buried in the mud and leaf leitter, until the spring is triggered and then they commit.

wonderful creatures. ill make a recording here when i can. theyre strictly an eastern north american animal. from th eprairies west they dont exist.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

first robins today. and the chorus frogs are calling alongside the peepers. pseudacris triseriata.

we ll have the american toads next, then the gtay treefrogs and the leopard frogs. finalky the green frogs and uncommon stuff like the pickerel frogs and bullfrogs.

no flowers yet. redbuds should pop any day, and then the sweet cherries.

spring for sure

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

The constant video coverage of the carnage in Ukraine includes many scenes with dogs or cats and their caring owners desperately seeking shelter.  One such video shows a young woman who is attempting to carry food to a kennel for dogs that had not been fed for three days. She was killed before she could deliver the food to the poor animals.  Those scenes are painful for me, much more painful for those unfortunate Ukrainian animal lovers. Even more so for the family and friends of the unfortunate young woman.

billy rubin

mockingbird

mimus polyglottis

i heard it this morning but it was cold and incoherent. i finally decided i was hearing a starling but no.

the cool thing about mockingbirds is that they memorize other birds they listen to all along their range  ive been in cities in arizona and heard cactus wrens . which are desert birds, lower sonoran. looked around to see why it was in town and discovered a mockingbird.

sometimes ill hear a dustinctive bobwhite quail calling.

they dont live around here. but the mockingbirds rwmember them.

theyre insectivores so it means well get bugs soon

billy rubin

there were two  ? ukrainian zookeepers lilled trying to feed the snimals in the zoo in one I f the easter cities  nasty business.

billy rubin

it was spring, then it got cold again. snow on the blooming daffodils yeterday.

my dog ygmir is almost completely blind. he can detect light and dark but thats about it. even so, he can navigate quite well in the infrared

billy rubin

not in my life but

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/2022/apr/13/ivory-bill-woodpecker-not-extinct-researchers-say

the ivory billed woodpecker may not be extinct.

tjis spectacular bird has been thought exticint for 70byears due to the malevolebt indifference of an american loghing company, long out of business.

maybe there is hope

. . . and maybe there is a reason for hope. i am not convinced.

billy rubin

kittens again. we didnt manage to get any fostered out last year but at least 6 or 8 adults have recently disappeared. maybe tbe coyotes are doing their job after all

one litter on the porch, one in the cellar, one under the house

billy rubin

well, the cat population is in flux. we peaked at around 24 in the fall, mostly friendly lap-climbers but a few skittish ones that came onto the porch for food but ran when the door was opened. along with the raccoon we raised two years back that only stays if you have a banana in your hand.

about half the cats disappeared, either natural dispersal or because of the coyotes. i havent seen the coyotes in years, but i hear them all the time. yesterday my number two son was walking down the road and came across the mandible of a marmot in a circle of trampled grass, evidence that the coyotes were still working the neighborhood.

anyway, my number three sone tells me that we apparently have eight litters of kittens, in the cellar, in the carriage house, in cardboard boxes on the porch, in the barn, and so on. one is in my chair in the living room:

this is bhisma, th ekitten i rescued from a pile of bee boxes the night before a killing snowfall three years ago. she is an earth mother type, and is currently distressing the other mothers because she is stealing their kittens. at one point she had kittens of three different ages here in my chair, and keeps robbing one mother of one kitten in particular, who has to come and retrieve her baby several times a day.

Anne D.

Heartbreakingly cute. She looks so calm.

billy rubin

kittens do that.

some cats will run away when you come near. then they have a litter of kittens and become human-friendly overnight.

bhisma has always been a lap cat tho

theyre out of my chair today. shes gone and done something else with them.

billy rubin

at least the dog isnt involved this time with kitten thefts. last year the border collie was distressing th e cats because she was stealing the newborn kittens and lying down to cuddle them under my desk. shes a dog, not a cat, so everybody was having fits unti we got it sorted out.

billy rubin

cats

almost all the toms from last year have dispersed or been turned into baby coyotes. who would have thought. so we have two toms, otis and minge, half a dozen females, and a dozen kittens.

ygmir still sleeps with his pet cat

billy rubin