News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

farm stuff, any farm stuff. food growing or cash c r opping

Started by billy rubin, August 23, 2021, 12:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

well the wife planted about 30 chestnuts and 160 hazelnut bushes the other day. the chestnuts wont be doing anything for 15 years, but well get an idea about the hazelnuts this cominh spring and summer. well need thousands of those.

pictures coming. i was hauling steel plate into chicago and missed the fun

News has been received from the Punjab that the Amritsar mob has again broken out in a violent attack against the authorities. The rebels were repulsed by the military and they suffered 200 casualties.

billy rubin

^^^this is US $1000 worth of nut trees: native american hazelnuts, commercial variety of pecans, and viable mongrel chestnuts.

those are not conkers. you can eat them.

this batch went into the ground in the ex-hayfield over the weekend. we ll have hazelnuts in three yrars, chestnuts in fifteen, and i think tbe pecans start out at around five?

chestnuts: 

https://images.app.goo.gl/7W44TAaX64g4Gqtx9

these trees used to comprise 25 percent of all american hardwood forests. almost all dead now, killed by the introduced fungus.

tbere are a few survivors. ours are hybrids between american and chinese

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

more than that, really. figure US $2500. theres about 250 nuts in there.

250 one-year nut trees at $10 each from a commercial nursery. we re taking a hit by planting from seed, but they re essentially free.

the hazelnuts are the best hope. they re native and unusual, and they re prolific. we got five or ten pounds of nuts just casually spending about two hours picking them off trashy bushes on the roadside. with a decent hedgerow style of cropping we can be much more efficient.

it would not be possible to do without direct internet marketing

Dark Lightning

Do you sell them whole or shelled? As a kid, I ate the hazelnuts (filberts) from the nut assortments that came out around xmas time. I love them, but nobody else could be bothered to crack them open.

billy rubin

just starting now

so far the plan is to sell one-pound window sacks through etsy, like coffee beans. raw, unshelled. maybe we ll get a sheller, because the american native nuts are about half tbe size of the big oregon types.

but look at this

https://www.etsy.com/listing/536224264/5-american-hazelnut-tree-aka-filbert?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=hazelnuts&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&tr_rank=2&organic_search_click=1&bes=1

^^^this ismarked . . . best-seller. hes selling 5 unshelled hazel nuts for tbree dollars.  ?????

we made 100 lercent of our income for five years at a weekly farmers market selling honey, beeswax candles, and miscellaneous skin care products. (then tbe recession hit and i became atruckdriver)

so we can do this. just have tostart getting plans and product

Dark Lightning

Quote from: billy rubin on December 08, 2021, 11:27:09 PM
just starting now

so far the plan is to sell one-pound window sacks through etsy, like coffee beans. raw, unshelled. maybe we ll get a sheller, because the american native nuts are about half tbe size of the big oregon types.

but look at this

https://www.etsy.com/listing/536224264/5-american-hazelnut-tree-aka-filbert?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=hazelnuts&ref=sr_gallery-1-1&tr_rank=2&organic_search_click=1&bes=1

^^^this ismarked . . . best-seller. hes selling 5 unshelled hazel nuts for tbree dollars.  ?????

we made 100 lercent of our income for five years at a weekly farmers market selling honey, beeswax candles, and miscellaneous skin care products. (then tbe recession hit and i became atruckdriver)

so we can do this. just have tostart getting plans and product

Something about sheep and fleece comes to mind. He has to have (a) shill(s) making those comments. That price is crazy.

Davin

Not sure if it's appropriate for people to be showing off their nuts.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

Quote from: Davin on January 05, 2022, 10:30:48 PM

:lol:

Davin!!
It's good to "see" you, again.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on January 06, 2022, 02:04:54 AM
Quote from: Davin on January 05, 2022, 10:30:48 PM

:lol:

Davin!!
It's good to "see" you, again.

It's been a wee bit.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Indeed. Have you any insight about Ravingatheists.com going toes up? Chris lived in Hawaii for a long time. Maybe something happened there? I do know that the military bases are having a serious problem with underwater fuel tank leakage.

Davin

Thanks, it's good to be back.

I don't know anything about RavingAtheists, I haven't logged into there for even longer than here.

billy rubin

well, we have sunflowers going in, sweet potatoes, and a few fruit trees. 1/3 of an acre of sunflowers  supplies caloric needs for several people for a year, and we'll have maybe 600 pounds of potatoes too.

just a start, along with various nut trees and the other seasonal vegetables.

we re fortunate in that when my parents died and left us some money i used it to pay off the farm . so no matter what happens to the economy-- short of an apocolypse-- we re in the clear for somewhere to live and grow food.

we have 25 acres, up here in the eastern deciduous woodland, maybe 40 inches of precip per year. about 2/3  is flat and arable, especially for the low-effort perinnial stuff we re doing-- and the rest is hardwoods. if we want, there are abundant deer and turkey in that stuff we can shoot for meat, or we can raise goats, pigs, and poultry if we choose. the hardwoods are an infinitevsource of fuel, should we go that way.

its a bear in the winter, but the climate is very good for subsistence agriculture. i hated it here when we first moved from california, but that place is spiraling down a drought sinkhole right now, so we seem to be doing well.