News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Impeachment anyone?

Started by joeactor, September 27, 2019, 09:44:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

I think it's good and that as much as possible needs to be made public.

We don't have a large data set to work from. Most recently there are two cases, Clinton and Nixon. When Clinton was impeached it helped him out more than hurt him as could be seen in polls around that time. To be fair though, he was impeached for lying about sexual relations, not lying about national security issues and using the power of his office to enrich himself.  Does anyone even remember what the Clinton investigation started as? I don't think most of Republicans who bring it up do, I bet they'd have to google it real quick when challenged.

Nixon was not impeached, he resigned before he was. Nixon won by a lot more than Trump did and he was a more popular candidate and president by 20-30 points. All that changed after the impeachment inquiry had revealed all his sneaky shit he did to enrich himself. His numbers dropped about 20 points quickly to around 40, then kept dropping until he was pressured to resign with the sweetheart deal of being pardoned.

Based on these two cases, I think the Trump impeachment inquiry are more likely to skew towards the Nixon example than the Clinton example.

The only risk I think is if they decide to limit the case to something as narrow as this one phone call. I think they should lump in all his constitutional violations especially the emoluments clause.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Davin on September 30, 2019, 03:43:25 PM

The only risk I think is if they decide to limit the case to something as narrow as this one phone call. I think they should lump in all his constitutional violations especially the emoluments clause.

Right now Pelosi is limiting the inquiry.  I think she wants to shorten the inquiry process so they can get a vote sooner.

Davin

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on September 30, 2019, 04:21:24 PM
Quote from: Davin on September 30, 2019, 03:43:25 PM

Right now Pelosi is limiting the inquiry.  I think she wants to shorten the inquiry process so they can get a vote sooner.
Yeah, she's finally starting the inquiry, but still doing it wrong. At least in my opinion.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Tom62

Watch this fascinating video, if you are interested to know what all this fuzz is about and why Trump should be impeached.

The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

Dark Lightning

The chump isn't the only turd in the punch bowl, but he's going to dodge prison due to a pardon is my bet. The rest will go the way of Michael Cohen and company.

joeactor

He literally just asked China to dig up dirt on Biden... On camera.

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: joeactor on October 03, 2019, 08:40:34 PM

He's a criminal. He doesn't even know what he does is wrong.

Dark Lightning

That is so crazy that it defies belief...yet here we are.

Harmonie

And the Republicans (namely Rubio) already have a defense, that he wasn't seriously asking that, he's just doing it to troll the liberals.

This is not good. If they can excuse something as blatant as that, they will literally excuse anything.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Dark Lightning

[Bully has a kid by the neck, ready to punch, when a big friend of the potential victim appears] hah, hah, just kidding. That shit didn't fly in the schoolyard, and it certainly shouldn't fly in the world of adults.