News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Random Internet Question

Started by Sophus, July 09, 2009, 05:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sophus

I'm working on a website and I know websites have hit counting features, but is there any way to tell if/when/how many times a file or image has been downloaded from your website?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

JillSwift

The server logs have that sort of information. Most hosting services let you at the logs for your server.
Alternatively, you can have a "through" page. It's just a simple page that automatically starts the download of the file in question, but it can also have a counter on it.
[size=50]Teleology]

Sophus

Thanks Jill!  :hail:

I found the file statistics for the day. But I'm guessing those are everything the browser downloads to the Temporary Folder. I don't suppose there's a way to determine if any have been permanently/intentionally downloaded to a machine, would there?
‎"Christian doesn't necessarily just mean good. It just means better." - John Oliver

JillSwift

Quote from: "Sophus"Thanks Jill!  :hail:

I found the file statistics for the day. But I'm guessing those are everything the browser downloads to the Temporary Folder. I don't suppose there's a way to determine if any have been permanently/intentionally downloaded to a machine, would there?
Not really. Just what was requested by the browser - in fact, if a file download is canceled there's no way to know, either.

Web stats always have some squishy guesswork in 'em.
[size=50]Teleology]