Started by xSilverPhinx, April 30, 2019, 11:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magdalena

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 06, 2019, 03:11:01 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 05, 2019, 06:47:20 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 05, 2019, 11:07:46 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 05, 2019, 04:21:01 AM
Quote from: Icarus on May 04, 2019, 11:49:02 PM
A little humor here........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9KlMWzKj4s   Wait for the punch line.
I would try the Darwin Genuine Draft... :thoughtful:

Does it come in a Darwin stubby?

I'm a small woman so when I drink from those huge bottles I have to hold them like this:

Oh, please, please, choke on that water!  :-[
:tellmemore:
Yes. Please.

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Davin

Late to the thread...

QuoteIf there's no god, then why not pursue a life of pleasure in detriment to all else?

We have social contracts because we don't want certain things done to us, so we "agree" not to do those things to other people. Because you do not want to be raped and murdered, you do not rape and murder other people. It does get more complicated, but that's the essence of it. If you want to be able to have things that are yours, you have to agree to not taking things that are other people's.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

xSilverPhinx

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Magdalena on May 05, 2019, 06:47:20 PM
Quote from: Bad Penny II on May 05, 2019, 11:07:46 AM
Quote from: Magdalena on May 05, 2019, 04:21:01 AM
Quote from: Icarus on May 04, 2019, 11:49:02 PM
A little humor here........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9KlMWzKj4s   Wait for the punch line.
I would try the Darwin Genuine Draft... :thoughtful:

Does it come in a Darwin stubby?

I'm a small woman so when I drink from those huge bottles I have to hold them like this:

You'll have to excuse Trump, he has small hands.  ;D

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Davin on May 06, 2019, 06:18:15 PM
Late to the thread...

QuoteIf there's no god, then why not pursue a life of pleasure in detriment to all else?

We have social contracts because we don't want certain things done to us, so we "agree" not to do those things to other people. Because you do not want to be raped and murdered, you do not rape and murder other people. It does get more complicated, but that's the essence of it. If you want to be able to have things that are yours, you have to agree to not taking things that are other people's.

Yes, I think in a way moral behaviour in general is an emergent property of societies and not handed down to people from an objective source such as gods or even governments...social contracts.  :thumbsup:

Of course, though, the societies in question would have to be reasonably well-off and not in a crisis that would cause people to fight for their most basic survival -- food, water, shelter, etc. Otherwise, I would imagine there could even be groups that cooperate but they would be much smaller tribes and the 'Us versus Them' mentality would be more pronounced.   

Davin

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 06, 2019, 10:43:36 PM
Quote from: Davin on May 06, 2019, 06:18:15 PM
Late to the thread...

Yes, I think in a way moral behaviour in general is an emergent property of societies and not handed down to people from an objective source such as gods or even governments...social contracts.  :thumbsup:

Of course, though, the societies in question would have to be reasonably well-off and not in a crisis that would cause people to fight for their most basic survival -- food, water, shelter, etc. Otherwise, I would imagine there could even be groups that cooperate but they would be much smaller tribes and the 'Us versus Them' mentality would be more pronounced.
The scarcity mindset is a difficult thing to get away from when people are struggling. It's a downward spiral too. People risk the social contract in order to eat in a desperate attempt to live. It's also, at least I think, why crime increases in areas with greater income inequality and/or in places where the pay doesn't cover the cost of living.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

Magdalena

I found this:

Was he really an atheist?
If he was, I don't know about you guys, but I don't think Jeffrey Dahmer represents most atheists. :notsure:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Most normal humans have empathy.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

No one

Dahmer was unusual for an atheist, he did not like babies or kittens. His recipes called for aged meats.

Davin

Quote from: Magdalena on May 30, 2019, 05:39:53 AM
I found this:

Was he really an atheist?
If he was, I don't know about you guys, but I don't think Jeffrey Dahmer represents most atheists. :notsure:
I mean the answer is already in the quote. "Acceptable." Clearly people have some idea if what is and is not "acceptable." We can use that to guide behavior.

It's all we have anyway. Even if this god thing existed, we have no objective means of determining what it wants us to do, all we have are self-described flawed humans telling us what the god thing wants. It's like trying to perform heart surgery following the instructions from a person who has no idea what a heart is and who rejects all scientific methods.

No one

god wants everyone to send me $69.00.

Bad Penny II

If a person thinks there IS
a god to be accountable to,
why can't they modify behaviour?
It's easier to modify what god wants,
or put in a god forgives rubishness.
Take my advice, don't listen to me.