News:

Nitpicky? Hell yes.

Main Menu

Re: Reasons To Be Grumpy thread

Started by jumbojak, October 27, 2012, 09:21:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davin

Yesterday, we went grocery shopping like normal, but when we got back to her car one of the tires was flat. A shop was right around the corner, so I switched to the spare and we went over. Waited while one person in front of us spent almost 45 minutes with all kinds of questions. What are we going to do? Drive around looking for another shop? Whatever, we didn't expect the person to take that long but now it's our turn. Then the lady behind the counter walked away and came back a few minutes later. They were very busy, but I still like to complain.

Took about 10 minutes to get things situated and it would take about 2-3 hours before they could get to fixing the tire. So I had to walk to the public transit and take that home to pick up my car and drive back to get my GF and the groceries.

Not a big deal overall, but I was grumpy.
Always question all authorities because the authority you don't question is the most dangerous... except me, never question me.

billy rubin

the ancient 12volt refridgerator i use in my truck finally died. we emptied the bank account to pay for my sons last year in quaker high school, and i am without cold storage.

i think i have about 8 pounds of hard cheese i now have to eat before it becomes soft cheese. and i am eating all my spinach right now for lunch

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Hired a professional painter to paint my house. He has some skill with his brush in that he was able to cut good edges where paint met non painted parts.  Aside from that he was/is a dumb ass with questionable mental capacity.  He thought it perfectly normal to wash his brushes and rollers in my carefully tended lawn.  Tan colored grass is not green but the paint was.  dumb fuck emptied his spray painting hose directly into the grass and I unwittingly drove my car into the back yard to retrieve the boat.  I managed to run my tires over the fresh paint and now the tread and sidewalls of my tires are painted tan.  He did not presume to charge me for painting my tires.

I have a new roof that has new drip rails. Traditionally white.  They are powder coated aluminum and paint will not stick to that surface reliably.  God dammit I wanted the drip rails left as new white. Then the asshole tried to charge me an additional $500 to paint the drip rails which I had previously forbidden.  Failure to prepare surfaces such as sanding or spackling were not on his list of responsible preparation. Paint over it was his apparent motto. He says that he is only a painter, not a carpenter or any other kind of tradesman.

So yes, I have reasons to be grumpy.   I have an excuse though.  My father was an old school master craftsman.  One of the oft repeated messages, when I did a half assed job of raking leaves or whatever, was: "there is no such thing as good enough" Note emphasis.

Recusant

That's some bullshit. A painter who does a proper job will have the skills to do it, and the most important part of painting is good prep. Cutting clean lines doesn't make a good painter. My sympathies, Icarus.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

billy rubin

when i lived in britain some family friends hired painters to do the inside. one morning tbey came by and the painters were all sitting down making tea.

they asked, why are you not painting?

they replied, up on the wall there, see that nail for hanging a picture?

yes

well we cant paint until the carpenter comes to pull it out.

why cant you pull it out yourselves?

we're painters, maam. union rules. only carpenters can pull out nails.

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Icarus

Billy, that is not as far fetched as it would seem.  I once ran afoul of a closed union shop. I was an engineer in the design department.  My company made steel  forms (molds) for pre-stressed concrete.  We had a finished form (mold) that was loaded onto a truck improperly.  If the form is twisted or stressed during transport it may be ruined.  All the form needed was some more wooden cribbing placed under the form and on the truck bed..

There was a serious contractural penalty for late delivery.  We were playing it close to the deadline.  It is Friday afternoon and the union guys had left the shop. No carpenter was available to cut a few pieces of cribbing to fix the loading problem,  Me the "fixer" type knew how to operate the giant radial arm saw near the shipping exit.  I did cut the necessary boards.  Took all of three minutes. .................Shit hit the fan.  The company saved thousands for not failing to deliver on time.  The Union people became outrageously militant that a non union guy had used the fucking saw.  I nearly lost my job for such a breach of stupid Union rules.

A few days later during an inspection trip to the shop floor, A union guy tried to kill me with the swinging ball of a gantry crane.  That is a whole 'nother story that again almost got me fired but the gantry guy mysteriously landed in the hospital.

I am in favor of the union concept but am fiercely opposed to some of the recurrent larceny that the union guys use to prey on the victims.  I have more tales about that from when I had exhibit booths at many trade shows across the nation.

billy rubin

coal country is a place where people were frequently killed over unionization disputes.

billy rubin

Dark Lightning

How many people were turned to vegetables (squash!) before the company started to care enough to post this sign? :???:

billy rubin

i dont know.

the place i work is pretty dangerous all around-- high pressures, overhead loads, moving equipment, heat, flamnable liquids and gases
poisonous chemicals, explosive hazards, and so on

when i was wellhead there would be times when the guns wouldnt go off and they would pull them out of the hole live. when they did that thete were only three people on pad-- the company man, the crane operator, and me. my job was to stand next to the well head while about fifty live and triggered metal-piercing shaped charges were pulled out two feet from my chest, and close the valve after they were out.

these days i drive a truck in and out and dont even have to get out.

but tbe dance floor is verboten. the forklift is big-- it picks up 50,000 pounds-- and if you step behond the wheel you just squish into the timbers like a wet diaper.

Biggus Dickus

I started working this morning at 0630, and am just finishing up now...very long day. I did work from home, but still it was a long day,...customer sent me new release data late in the afternoon, and I went ahead and updated all of my files with his data only to realize when I had finished that he sent me corrupted files, so I had to ask him to resend and then start all over again. ugh

Plus, I'm still sore from yesterday as I got beaten up by this woman in one of the elevators in our office building. She was an extremely attractive and endowed woman, and I admit I was staring at her breasts when she asked me, "Could you please press one"?

So I did,...honestly don't remember much after that.
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on August 06, 2021, 10:13:40 PM
I started working this morning at 0630, and am just finishing up now...very long day. I did work from home, but still it was a long day,...customer sent me new release data late in the afternoon, and I went ahead and updated all of my files with his data only to realize when I had finished that he sent me corrupted files, so I had to ask him to resend and then start all over again. ugh

Plus, I'm still sore from yesterday as I got beaten up by this woman in one of the elevators in our office building. She was an extremely attractive and endowed woman, and I admit I was staring at her breasts when she asked me, "Could you please press one"?

Ha!  But, was it going down or up?

Dark Lightning

hermes2015

Quote from: Papasito Bruno on August 06, 2021, 10:13:40 PM

:lol:
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

I was so excited for this upcoming weekend, butt now I don't know what we're going to do...I'm just really bummed out :-[

"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."