News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

questions on Ny thing

Started by billy rubin, May 20, 2021, 08:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ecurb Noselrub

Salmon swim upstream to feed the bears and provide footage for nature documentaries.

You're welcome.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: No one on June 14, 2021, 05:50:29 PM
Not sure I could even get my reflection to sit across from me.

Well then, steal them from your friend in the broken mirror while they still read correctly!

billy rubin

or try a simple board game as a distraction

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

billy rubin

why do some birds hop when theyre on the ground, and other birds walk?

very small birds generally hop, and very large birds generally walk

but if i recall correctly, theres a murky middle ground where it seems birds are without rules

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Bluenose

Salmon are not the only freshwater fish to perform a migration to/from the sea as part of their lifecycle.  The most obvious examples are freshwater eels that live most of their life in freshwater and then migrate to the sea, often undertaking long migrations at sea, in order to breed.  They return to freshwater in massive migrations as glass eels or elvers in events known as eel fairs.

In Australia, there are many species that also live most of their life in freshwater and have a stage as juveniles in marine environments.  Some spawn in freshwater and the larvae wash down stream to the estuaries or even the sea, while in other species the adults migrate downstream to spawn in the estuary.  Many of the former are various species of galaxias, generally smallish long tubular fish, the young are sometimes caught during their upstream migration to the fresh and consumed as whitebait.  The common galaxias Galaxias macculatus is probably the most widely naturally distributed freshwater fish in the world being found in coastal streams in south eastern Australia, New Zealand, Lord Howe Island, the Chatham Islands, Patagonian South America (Chile and Argentina) and the Falkland Islands.  One species, the spotted galaxias Galaxias truttaceus, can withstand direct transfer from sea water to fresh and vice versa.  Hmm, time to stop before I get carried away.  Oops, too late!

Spotted galaxias Galaxias truttaceous
+++ Divide by cucumber error: please reinstall universe and reboot.  +++

GNU Terry Pratchett

billy rubin

it cerainly seems to be a useful life cycle. i just cantfigure out how it evolved.

but im probably looking for something that  isnt there. many biological patterns are simply random stuff. no more reasonto expect meaning than there is to watching water flow across a randomly undulating surface.

that galaxias is beautiful. tbe stuff where i live is much duller

billy rubin

what is the difference between ethics and morals?

is there a difference?

Old Seer

Ethics is more about doing what's right, or proper, toward others above personal preferences. Morals is  a fact of nature that keeps one humane toward others. Immorals is when one is outside the natural bounds of "human" nature. Ethics and morals are twins, slightly different. One can be unethical and still remain within the bounds of morals.
The only thing possible the world needs saving from are the ones running it.
Oh lord, save us from those wanting to save us.
I'm not a Theist.

billy rubin

so how do you think one can do what is right yowards others when one is not acting humanely?

what is an example of a morally correct behaviour that is unethical?

are we talking about the jew in the closet?

Old Seer

Quote from: billy rubin on September 05, 2021, 06:20:34 PM
so how do you think one can do what is right yowards others when one is not acting humanely?

I could have given a better answer, but that answer would have to be taken from studies. For fear of preaching I had to do the best I could.
To put it simpler- Ethnics mostly originate from man made determinations but yet akin to morals, and can be a derivative of morals- sometimes, but mostly not.
Ethics is made by man as to what is right and wrong. A social system can determine something to be right when it isn't and the same thing wrong in a different circumstance. Man can determine a wrong to be acceptable even tho it is immoral/harmful. 

I'm not a Theist.

Magdalena

Quote from: billy rubin on September 04, 2021, 02:31:21 PM
what is the difference between ethics and morals?

is there a difference?

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

billy rubin

Quote from: Old Seer on September 05, 2021, 11:37:55 PM

I could have given a better answer, but that answer would have to be taken from studies. For fear of preaching I had to do the best I could.
To put it simpler- Ethnics mostly originate from man made determinations but yet akin to morals, and can be a derivative of morals- sometimes, but mostly not.
Ethics is made by man as to what is right and wrong. A social system can determine something to be right when it isn't and the same thing wrong in a different circumstance. Man can determine a wrong to be acceptable even tho it is immoral/harmful.

huh?

Old Seer

Quote from: billy rubin on September 06, 2021, 06:24:17 AM
Quote from: Old Seer on September 05, 2021, 11:37:55 PM

huh?
Magnalina in post 25 presented it better then I. The question there is -- immorality of sex in marriage. Marriage is man made, in past times there was no civil marriage. The invention of marriage doesn't make sex outside of marriage immoral. If sex in ancient times wasn't immoral then it can never be. That means that today if it's wrong to have sex outside of marriage it is deemed wrong because of a determination by individuals. IOW, man can create right and wrong at will depending upon preferences. But the institution of marriage is not a case of immorality as immorality cannot be invented, only discovered. Morals comes about by the recognition that one can harm another and chooses to harm or not harm. Right and wrong are created to manipulate and/or control others. Civil law creates right and wrong, but not morals. It's all a matter of "who" makes the rules according to their preferences. A moral person is self (inward) regulated. Right and wrong is an external regulation by others upon others.
Notice in post 25 it is considering sex outside marriage as immoral, but yet marriage is an invention by man/persons. :-)
I'm not a Theist.

billy rubin

im going to have to look at ^^^that one sentence at a time

Magdalena

Quote from: Old Seer on September 06, 2021, 08:18:10 PM
Notice in post 25 it is considering sex outside marriage as immoral, but yet marriage is an invention by man/persons. :-)

Hmm...
This is how I interpret it...

Let's say a man has sex outside the marriage, maybe divorce follows.

Both signed a paper promising to be faithful to each other, if the man has sex outside the marriage, or breaks the contract, in court, that makes him unethical. In legal terms, according to the law-- Yes?

In society, when the details of the divorce come out, the unethical man is marked as the immoral one in the relationship as well.
Immoral, in religious terms--yes?

If the man doesn't have sex outside the marriage, in legal terms, according to the law, he is an ethical man--yes?

In society, the faithful man is ethical and moral, in religious terms--yes?

Some don't care if a man made a stupid mistake, and they won't judge him or label him by the law of men or the law of a god.
:shrug:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant