News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

The Art and things we've made thread...

Started by Claireliontamer, January 28, 2016, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 07, 2020, 03:02:08 PM
That's beautiful! And I know (online) a person who recently discovered some manganese blue in her paint stash. She sounded pretty happy about it, for the same reasons. Is the blend not as good a color? Whatever happened to all the manganese in the world? :D

There is plenty of manganese in the world, but whatever the industrial need for barium manganate sulfate (PB33) was fell away, and production stopped in the 1970s. I don't know what its main use was. Its application as an artist's pigment was only a minor side use, so nobody is going to make it just for that purpose.

Regarding the blend, Winsor & Newton's is a mixture of two organic phthalocyanines (PG7 and PB15). Artists try to avoid blends, because even if the mass colour straight out of the tube is an excellent match to the original, it may misbehave in mixtures. In this painting I did not mix it with white, so I was OK.

Chemistry has its uses everywhere!
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2020, 09:12:01 AM
Some time ago I posted a photo of some lead strips from the roof of a 1928 house I owned.

Here is the 900 x 900mm collage painting I did using the pieces. The significance of the 28 is that it was the street number of the house. Blue predominates, because I wanted to experiment with textures I could get using different blue pigments, including a new one for me, called Manganese Blue Hue by Winsor & Newton. It's a blend of pigments PB15 and PG7, because the original manganese blue (PB33) is unfortunately unobtainable now. If you have a stash of genuine PB33 somewhere, you're sitting on a goldmine!

Some details:

That's really beautiful, Hermes! You sure have an eye for aesthetics!

:tellmemore:

I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2020, 03:43:01 PM
That's beautiful! And I know (online) a person who recently discovered some manganese blue in her paint stash. She sounded pretty happy about it, for the same reasons. Is the blend not as good a color? Whatever happened to all the manganese in the world? :D

There is plenty of manganese in the world, but whatever the industrial need for barium manganate sulfate (PB33) was fell away, and production stopped in the 1970s. I don't know what its main use was. Its application as an artist's pigment was only a minor side use, so nobody is going to make it just for that purpose.

Regarding the blend, Winsor & Newton's is a mixture of two organic phthalocyanines (PG7 and PB15). Artists try to avoid blends, because even if the mass colour straight out of the tube is an excellent match to the original, it may misbehave in mixtures. In this painting I did not mix it with white, so I was OK.

I was joking about the manganese. I went and looked because it piqued my interest. It would appear that the principal use was for coloring cement, like the blue in swimming pools. It originated as a paint color though. The process for making is toxic enough that production ceased.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 07, 2020, 06:57:42 PM

I was joking about the manganese. I went and looked because it piqued my interest. It would appear that the principal use was for coloring cement, like the blue in swimming pools. It originated as a paint color though. The process for making is toxic enough that production ceased.

Thanks, that's interesting information. I realized you weren't serious, because I know you well enough by now!  :thumbsup2:
― Charles Eames

Tank

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glomar_Explorer
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

hermes2015

Quote from: Tank on May 07, 2020, 07:28:55 PM

It's fascinating how things are related and one thing leads to another. My showing of a new painting has led us into a discussion of Mn-related matters. That is why I never get bored.
― Charles Eames

Tank

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2020, 07:43:24 PM

It's fascinating how things are related and one thing leads to another. My showing of a new painting has led us into a discussion of Mn-related matters. That is why I never get bored.

It was a cover to raise a Russian submarine.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: Tank on May 07, 2020, 07:45:56 PM

Of relatively little value, but I met one of the engineers who worked on that attempt. He was a pretty sharp guy, but until I learned this I didn't understand why he got the gravitas that he did for his opinions.

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 07, 2020, 07:09:18 PM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 07, 2020, 06:57:42 PM

Thanks, that's interesting information. I realized you weren't serious, because I know you well enough by now!  :thumbsup2:
:smilenod: If I ever say anything that might be attributed to malice, just look at it like it was supposed to be silly/humorous. That's where it will be coming from. People also understand when I'm not being silly/humorous, too! The danger is that sometimes I'm not taken seriously because I'm always joking around. But youse guys here are plenty smart enough to figure it out! I like dealing with smart people, it's so much easier.

billy rubin

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 07, 2020, 10:56:28 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 07, 2020, 07:45:56 PM

Of relatively little value, but I met one of the engineers who worked on that attempt. He was a pretty sharp guy, but until I learned this I didn't understand why he got the gravitas that he did for his opinions.

that ship was mothballed near san francisco for years. you could look down on it from the benicia bridge and speculate.

set the function, not the mechanism.

hermes2015

I have laid the foundation of a painting inspired by the labyrinth at Knossos on Crete: the labyrinth is raised about 10 mm above the surface of the canvas, with a real feather stuck above to represent the wings Daedalus made. The next step is to find colours that convey the feeling of the situation, perhaps with lots of blue for the sky and the sea surrounding Crete. Before I tell you what I thought would be a good palette, I would welcome any ideas from you guys.
― Charles Eames

hermes2015

Completed Opera painting in oils. It is shown in a very early stage as photo 9 in the Around My Place — HAF Photo Challenge thread. The size is 1200 x 750 mm.

The last time I did this kind of hard edge painting, using high contrast acid colours, was way back in the 70's. My usual colours are sombre earthy pigments.
― Charles Eames

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: hermes2015 on July 16, 2020, 10:52:13 AM
Completed Opera painting in oils. It is shown in a very early stage as photo 9 in the Around My Place — HAF Photo Challenge thread. The size is 1200 x 750 mm.

The last time I did this kind of hard edge painting, using high contrast acid colours, was way back in the 70's. My usual colours are sombre earthy pigments.

Wow. :tellmemore: Love the strong colours!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

hermes2015

― Charles Eames