News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Good free software

Started by AlP, August 15, 2009, 05:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mocha Chief

I'm gonna have to look into some of this software

Tank

Quote from: Mocha Chief on February 04, 2012, 01:25:47 PM
There's some good stuffonthis list.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Mocha Chief

The Magic Pudding

When I first saw that and an Asmoish avatar I had a WHAT! moment.
Warriors of the Asmo clan are supposed to lead a Spartan existence when it comes to software.

Mocha Chief

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on February 04, 2012, 03:31:20 PM

When I first saw that and an Asmoish avatar I had a WHAT! moment.
Warriors of the Asmo clan are supposed to lead a Spartan existence when it comes to software.

I am a Spartan in training lol

The Magic Pudding

VLC media play has gone from 1.xx to 2.0.
I'm not sure if the toggle for full screen controller used to there, I like it anyway.

el_presidente

Quote from: reed9 on July 06, 2010, 03:52:46 PM
Quote from: VangelisUmmm... No-one's mentioned operating systems? Can't believe it! Or maybe I just missed it. Why pay hundreds of dollars for something that is freely available?

Arch Linux

Free software I couldn't live without:

Mplayer

Mplayer still exists?!  Unreal.  I fondly remember the days of Team Fortress (Quake II style) and US vs. Canada. 

Quote from: lmbarre on December 04, 2011, 12:55:04 AM
Browers: Firefox, Opera, Netscape

I use Opera unless I'm running Netflix, and then I go with IE since it's already installed.  I've tried going back to Firefox, but Opera is cleaner and more intuitive (I constantly facepalm when I right click + drag my mouse down and to the right to close a tab on non-Opera browsers).
Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer.  God won't do it, so we must do it ourselves.

OldGit

This one's not specially good, nor really software, but it is a genuine free Easter Egg:

Open a fresh window of Firefox and type about:mozilla

MariaEvri

I'm looking for a good free (and easy) software to replace windows movie maker
any one knows any?
God made me an atheist, who are you to question his wisdom!
www.poseidonsimons.com

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: MariaEvri on April 07, 2012, 01:20:30 PM
I'm looking for a good free (and easy) software to replace windows movie maker
any one knows any?

I downloaded Lightworks but I don't think it's easy, haven't got around to using it.

OldGit

Quote from: MariaI'm looking for a good free (and easy) software to replace windows movie maker
Me, too, Maria, but I'm afraid I haven't found one yet.

Firebird

I'm actually a linux systems admin in real life, so I've used a lot of the stuff mentioned here. I like Ubuntu a lot, but I'm somewhat partial to Fedora Core, as it's what I learned Linux on and is geared more towards the advanced user. I've also played with Backtrack for security/penetration testing.

Truecrypt, as ThinkAnarchy brought up before, is one of my favorites for protecting sensitive files. I also wholeheartedy endorse Audacity and Handbrake, which were also mentioned previously.
Putty is an ssh utility for Windows that I use all the time.
Filezilla is the best free FTP app that I've found for Windows.
DVD 43 is good for copying your encrypted dvds. Legally, of course.
I've only recently started using Spotify, but I like what I see thus far.

On the Android front, if you've rooted your phone, Barnacle Wifi Tether is great for wireless tethering of your devices.

And if you're willing to hack your home router, try dd-wrt. It's a homebrewed replacement firmware that let's you do some cool stuff like wireless bridging, vpn, and overclocking.

"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

texasatheist

Quote from: Crocoduck on December 09, 2011, 02:17:16 PM
I've been using LastPass password vault to store my login info instead of the password manager thats built into my browser. It's been working out really well for me and I feel like it's safer. It seems to work with all the popular browsers, in fact it's the only one I've tried that works with my favorite Opera.
http://lastpass.com/

Quote from: Asmodean on December 04, 2011, 02:09:12 AM
What do you need three browsers for..?  ???

In all my ventures on the Internet, I've until this day managed with just one.

Asmodean I have more then one Yahoo email account and find it handy to use different browsers for different accounts so I can read one with having to log out of the others.

THIS!  I've used it for years, there's no substitute. 

I also recommend Photoscape if you want to edit a lot of photos and give them a filter or resize them on the fly.  More intuitive than Gimp (just because it's focus is on one click edits), and a little less confusing than Picasa from Google.

http://download.cnet.com/PhotoScape/3000-2192_4-10703122.html

OldGit

Yes, I agree about Photoscape.  It will rescue many a bum photo.

jumbojak

I'm suprised no one mentioned vi. It's the finest text editor ever developed, although it will take about a week to learn to use it. Highly recommended.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz