Photography, photos you took, photos you are in, photos you like, the lot!

Started by Tank, June 07, 2011, 07:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: Stevil on July 06, 2012, 09:15:13 PM
I'd be willing to bet that a hippo can hold its breath longer than an elephant. (I am just sticking up for the little guy, poor hippo, no-one loves the hippo, I'm feeling so sad)
Elephants come with a pre-installed snorkel. Take that, you hippo-lovers!  >:(
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Steve Reason

Eh, nothing special, but I like it -- especially after a little editing.
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

Amicale

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

OldGit

Mmm, it is pretty.  It makes you wonder what might be lurking in the background.  ;)

McQ

Quote from: Steve Reason on July 07, 2012, 10:34:54 AM

Eh, nothing special, but I like it -- especially after a little editing.

I really like it. What's the scoop on the photo and the camera? Not that it's vitally important, but besides your nice composition and subject, I'm interested in the tools that helped you take this fine photo. Settings, etc., location.

Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Steve Reason

Thanks all for the positive replies! :)

This was taken a couple of years ago while on a bike ride on the local bike trail during my period of unemployment. It was right next to the trail, and I took it around 4 pm or so with my cheap Panasonic digital. It's not as wild as it might look, there's a water park and such 100 yards behind it. I darkened it a bit with my editing software, which I think was Photoshop Elements 2.0. The original was much too bright, and I like getting the deep blacks when I can. I don't have a good camera or anything like that, so everything I take must be edited to make it look like i have a good camera. I think I have a decent eye for subject and composition, but no real talent, or the money to pursue that even if I did. It's just a part-time hobby. I might post a couple of others that I kinda like. Thanks again!  ;)
I do not fear death, in view of the fact that I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it. ~ Mark Twain

http://rumtickle.blogspot.com/

McQ

Another Moon Photo just because.
Went out a few nights ago and snapped a couple of shots because the Moon always looks nicer in photos when it's not full. You get the effect of shadows from the lunar terminator. One of these days I'll re-collimate my C-8 telescope and shoot through it again. For now, it's the 300mm f/2.8.

--Penn Jillette

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

The Magic Pudding

OldGit

TheWalkingContradiction

I swear to Asmo...  I went through the whole thread from page one and love the baby hippo, the Legoland city of St. John's, the Czech dog, the orangutans, the dog confrontations, Tank's son contemplating the sea, Cyprus, and everything else.

I am not a professional or near professional like you folks, but I do like to take pictures.  Here are a couple of my favorites.

Mysterious mood...  My favorite picture of my best friend.  A graduate student at the time, he is reading under a giant willow near the Boston Museum of Fine Arts in 2001.  There is just something so beautiful about a man, a book, and a tree...    

This is New York University's Bobst Library, where I do my research.  Did I mention that the person who designed the library's interior is best known for the maximun security jails he has designed...?   I'm not kidding.  :D

Here is a truly bizarre (unnamed!) statue I photographed outside Paris' main science museum in 2004.  I can think of atheist, religious, and homoerotic interpretations...  

Philosophy scrawled on a wall in my Brooklyn neighborhood last year--about two blocks from my apartment.

Tank

"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

McQ

Quote from: Tank on August 04, 2012, 07:57:15 PM
Aperture, ISO and shutter speed  :)

Oops! Forgot to include the juicy details!  :)

I had the 1.4X teleconverter on the 300mm lens, giving it a 420mm equivalence.

EXIF Summary:   Shutter 1/250s; Aperture f/4.5;  ISO 200;  420mm (35mm eq:420mm)
Center weighted average metering, no exposure compensation.

--Penn Jillette

Tank

Quote from: McQ on August 05, 2012, 04:33:47 AM
Quote from: Tank on August 04, 2012, 07:57:15 PM
Aperture, ISO and shutter speed  :)

Oops! Forgot to include the juicy details!  :)

I had the 1.4X teleconverter on the 300mm lens, giving it a 420mm equivalence.

EXIF Summary:   Shutter 1/250s; Aperture f/4.5;  ISO 200;  420mm (35mm eq:420mm)
Center weighted average metering, no exposure compensation.
So you have a full frame sensor in the body? Which body?