News:

Actually sport it is a narrative

Main Menu

Hotel des Mille Collines

Started by hermes2015, March 18, 2017, 08:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hermes2015

I am going to Rwanda on an 08:30 flight tomorrow morning. I will be staying at the Hotel des Mille Collines, the original hotel in the story of the movie Hotel Rwanda. They used a replica of the hotel in the movie. I have stayed there before - it is one of the better hotels in Kigali.

Will be back home Sunday 26th and will report back here if anyone is interested.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

hermes2015

Good, I will report back next weekend. I will be there for 6 days training the Rwanda Standards Board scientists.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dragonia

Have a safe and hopefully enjoyable trip! In the meantime I'm going to look up Hotel Rwanda and deepen my education.  ;)
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. ~ Plato (?)

Dave

Yup, have a good one, Hermes.

The name Rwanda brought back memories of horrific news accounts to me - hope they have overcome most of their problems.
Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
Passed Monday 10th Dec 2018 age 74

hermes2015

Thank you so much for the good wishes Dragonia and Gloucester!

I arrived here and checked into the hotel about 2 hours ago. The country has improved a lot since my first visit, about two years after the genocide. Then I was not comfortable at all and could not wait to get out.  I have been back about five times since, and notice improvements every time. Now there is quite an upbeat atmosphere: the people are charming and keen to make a good impression.
― Charles Eames

Biggus Dickus

Enjoy your trip and good luck with the training, may we have pictures please? ;)
"Some people just need a high-five. In the face. With a chair."

hermes2015

Quote from: Father Bruno on March 19, 2017, 04:43:10 PM
Enjoy your trip and good luck with the training, may we have pictures please? ;)

Thanks! I have trained this group before and found them very keen to learn. The subject matter is challenging, but they coped quite well last year during the first session. This is a follow-up covering more advanced topics.

I only have my phone with me, but will try to take some decent pics with it.
― Charles Eames

viocjit

I'm curious. Can you say to us what are you doing there ?

hermes2015

Quote from: viocjit on March 21, 2017, 04:21:57 AM
I'm curious. Can you say to us what are you doing there ?
I am there to train the analysts at the Rwanda Standards Board to operate and develop analytical methods on some advanced chromatography instruments. These are used to do environmental, food, and other types testing. Since this is mainly in the area of organic chemistry (my field), I have to teach them the principles and also practical operating procedures. These days it is heavily software-dependent, so a big part of the training involves software data analysis procedures.
― Charles Eames

Icarus

Fascinating stuff Hermes. We of little sophistication know so little about places such as Rwanda that we think of it as a primitive place.  Good on you and others for your council.