News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 28, 2020, 05:14:07 AM
Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 27, 2020, 08:16:19 PM
After all that sledgehammer work, I feel OK! I expected to feel like I'd been dragged through a knot hole from all that exertion. I guess the supplements I'm taking really do help.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Plus CH3CH2OH?

Well, I do indulge, but in the  past (after age ca 40) I would still be sore after a vigorous workout of muscles that don't get used much. When I was young I could do all kinds of crazy stuff and only have an awareness that I had worked hard the day before, but not pain. Now, I feel fine after some hard work. I forgot to mention in the list above that I take methyl sulfonyl methane.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 28, 2020, 03:24:21 PM
After all that sledgehammer work, I feel OK! I expected to feel like I'd been dragged through a knot hole from all that exertion. I guess the supplements I'm taking really do help.

Plus CH3CH2OH?

Well, I do indulge, but in the  past (after age ca 40) I would still be sore after a vigorous workout of muscles that don't get used much. When I was young I could do all kinds of crazy stuff and only have an awareness that I had worked hard the day before, but not pain. Now, I feel fine after some hard work. I forgot to mention in the list above that I take methyl sulfonyl methane.

I would be interested to hear whether you've experienced any benefits from methyl sulfonylmethane, and how you take it
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

Quote from: hermes2015 on May 28, 2020, 04:07:12 PM

Plus CH3CH2OH?

I would be interested to hear whether you've experienced any benefits from methyl sulfonylmethane, and how you take it

I experience less hand and foot pain when I take it. I would have to discontinue it and the others listed and take it after a couple of weeks to be able to report any benefit solely from the MSM, and it's possible that these things are synergistic. I take it by mouth in gelatin capsules.

hermes2015

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 28, 2020, 05:26:28 PM
Quote from: hermes2015 on May 28, 2020, 04:07:12 PM

Plus CH3CH2OH?

I experience less hand and foot pain when I take it. I would have to discontinue it and the others listed and take it after a couple of weeks to be able to report any benefit solely from the MSM, and it's possible that these things are synergistic. I take it by mouth in gelatin capsules.

Thanks for the info.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

thunderstorm! wind and rain and lightning

blew in from the northwest, the way they always do around here. it had been a hot muggy day, and i rode the muddy little kawasaki to work and back, then brought out the clean buell to take to work in the morning. then it rained hard all over the clean bike while th emuddy one was in the warehouse.

but the rain has freshened the air and now th esun is going down with the birds all calling against the now distant thunder of the storm.

set the function, not the mechanism.

Randy

I love a good thunderstorm. I can't hear the rain down here and it's partially due to hearing loss thanks to chemo. I can hear the thunder roll though. I don't know if others can hear it on the bottom floor either. I never checked.

I think I could only hear it in my bedroom on the top floor if it was really hard.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

Two of my sons and I humped 3 cubic yards of rocks, concrete and dirt into a dumpster this morning. A neighbor whom I've never even met came by and helped load about 500 pounds of it, by my estimation. What a nice guy! I had asked the company to remove the dumpster when I was done, and they said that they would see. The company took the dumpster away at about 4 PM. There is allegedly going to be a protest in my town tomorrow or possibly Saturday. Thankfully potential missiles have been taken from the neighborhood.

Randy

Today, I had chemotherapy. The doctor bumped it up to two-thirds potency. It's a losing battle but we're still fighting. :)
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on June 05, 2020, 03:53:13 AM
Today, I had chemotherapy. The doctor bumped it up to two-thirds potency. It's a losing battle but we're still fighting. :)
Fight that mother fucker with all you have, Randy.
~Just sending good vibes.  :levitate:

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Randy

Quote from: Magdalena on June 05, 2020, 04:19:33 AM
Thank you, my adorable butterfly. :)

Magdalena

Quote from: Randy on June 05, 2020, 04:51:48 AM
Thank you, my adorable butterfly. :)

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Tank

Hang in there as best you can :)
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Randy

Quote from: Tank on June 05, 2020, 10:52:07 PM

Oh I'm hanging alright. I'm feeling pretty good today outside a small case of nausea this morning. I've slept a lot as usual but I'm awake now (obviously) and browsing the forum a little.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Tank on June 05, 2020, 10:52:07 PM

:this: :this:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 05, 2020, 08:13:02 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 03, 2020, 01:31:59 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 03, 2020, 01:36:22 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 27, 2020, 12:00:18 AM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 20, 2020, 02:28:02 AM
Me and some people from other labs are thinking about putting together a science communication project for the public. ;D I've arranged an online meeting between us and my supervisor, who has been doing that sort of thing for a long time and knows the ins and outs way better than we do. ;D

I really hope this project goes forward, and will do everything I can to make it so. I love that sort of stuff :grin:

We put a group together and even though one isn't really pulling his weight we've made some progress. After 3 days of trying to choose a name for our social media channels we're deciding whether to open the choice to the public.  ;D We would make a competition of it, using consolidated social media channels associated with the other neuroscience students' initiatives to reap submissions.

Ok so the 'name competition' didn't work out, but now we're seeing if we can turn ours into a university extension project, which will make it a student initiative and, if it doesn't fall through it will be passed on to future "generations" of neuroscience grad students.

We've been writing a letter to send to one of the professors responsible for the other extension project, namely a yearly neuroscience course for undergrads. It took us about a week to get one page done. ::)

But it's happening! I don't know if the professor can help us in that regard but it's happening! :grin:

If it works out, we probably won't have to choose a name.  ;D

So, the letter sort of came to a standstill. ::) For now.

One person took issue with our choice of adding a few quotes on how education is a powerful tool to change the world (Nelson Mandela's "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." and Malala's similar "One child, one teacher, one book, one pen can change the world.")

He went on a rant on how he just can't sign a letter in good conscious with quotes he doesn't agree with and wrote long messages which were basically mental masturbation. ::)

:picard facepalm:

Ugh, frustrating!

The letter has finally been sent!  :woohoo!:

We have support from professors! :woohoo!:

I have taken temporary control over an existing Facebook page (with almost 6.000 followers) so we have put our first posts there, including the name competition. Another person is in charge of the Instagram page.

https://www.facebook.com/CursoDeNeurocienciasUfrgs

This project is going forward one baby step at a time (look what happens when you put a bunch of procrastinators together  ;D) but at least it's going forward. :grin:
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey