News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

HAF Photo Challenge: "Around My Place"

Started by Recusant, May 14, 2020, 10:34:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Recusant

Carrying on  . . .

I suppose somebody thought that it would be less viable to beg off because pandemic.  ;)

The theme is self-explanatory. You needn't even make the effort to take a photo. If that would be too much trouble, just find one that you've already taken, of a party, for instance, or any other shots that you like. "Place" would include your garden/yard, of course, if you happen to have one, or your local neighbourhood.

I hesitate to open this to five entries per, but hey, that worked OK last time.  :D

So -- Up to five images will be accepted from each member, and entries will be open for the next two to three weeks, depending on response. I'll provide ample warning before closing the entries. Please send them to me preferably via PM, or via the email address in my profile: recusantathaf |at| gmail.com.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

hermes2015

Thank you, Recusant. This is a good theme during a time of restricted movement, so we should get a record number of entries.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Dark Lightning

"Around my place" could be the neighborhood, right? Not just at "my place"? When I take my dog for a chance to poop on someone else's lawn (which I promptly pick up, of course!) I see lots of nice things. Not the poop, of course.

Lark

Great subject, should be really interestng  as well as good photos..  Thanks Hermes  ......  and Recusant.

Recusant

Quote from: Dark Lightning on May 15, 2020, 05:07:05 AM
"Around my place" could be the neighborhood, right? Not just at "my place"? When I take my dog for a chance to poop on someone else's lawn (which I promptly pick up, of course!) I see lots of nice things. Not the poop, of course.

Yes, your immediate locale is included.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Randy

I wish I could join in. My therapist wants me to go outside for about ten minutes and close my eyes. If I think to do that and remember my cellphone then maybe I could take a picture or two.

It won't be impressive though. My daughter works too much and I'm not capable of making a garden in my condition. Besides, I've killed a rock garden before. Those poor little rocks, dying and I don't know what I did wrong.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Tank

Quote from: Randy on May 19, 2020, 12:41:31 AM
I wish I could join in. My therapist wants me to go outside for about ten minutes and close my eyes. If I think to do that and remember my cellphone then maybe I could take a picture or two.

It won't be impressive though. My daughter works too much and I'm not capable of making a garden in my condition. Besides, I've killed a rock garden before. Those poor little rocks, dying and I don't know what I did wrong.

My gardening follows Darwinian principles, if it grows it's the right plant,
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Around The Asmo's, eh..? That may actually be doable...
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sandra Craft

Besides, I've killed a rock garden before. Those poor little rocks, dying and I don't know what I did wrong.

I used to get cacti because I was told they were impossible to kill.  I was misinformed.

Love your avatar, by the way.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Asmodean on May 19, 2020, 11:40:44 AM
Around The Asmo's, eh..? That may actually be doable...

And more interesting they we deserve.
Sandy

Randy

Quote from: Sandra Craft on May 19, 2020, 07:31:45 PM
Besides, I've killed a rock garden before. Those poor little rocks, dying and I don't know what I did wrong.

I used to get cacti because I was told they were impossible to kill.  I was misinformed.

Love your avatar, by the way.

My daughter has some cacti I think in the house. It seems like I remember her planting some on Mother's Day a few years ago. Maybe if I get out of my room sometime I'll look to see how they are doing.

Thank you. It's from one of my favorite movies, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I love the look of a portrait here. It is a picture of Dorian Gray. He turns out to be a villain later which I didn't like but I've thought of him as still a member (and alive) of the LXG.
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Dark Lightning

I take one of our dogs for a walk in the morning. I'll get some pics around the neighborhood. The neighbor behind us and one over has a really neatly colored geranium plant. I love the colors on geranium plants- they are so vibrant! I'd like to pinch off a sprig of theirs that we could plant in our yard. I would ask first, of course. The flower is mostly white with a small red colored portion. The nice thing about geraniums is that they have a lot of color without the thorns like roses have. My wife got so sick from being pricked by a rose thorn (infection, antibiotics, C. Dif as a result) in '11 that I wanted to uproot them all. I took two weeks off work, one week of which she was in the hospital. We finally made the decision about 3 years ago to get rid of the roses. I should have torched them while she was in the hospital. :smilenod:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Randy on May 20, 2020, 12:12:37 AM
Thank you. It's from one of my favorite movies, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. I love the look of a portrait here. It is a picture of Dorian Gray. He turns out to be a villain later which I didn't like but I've thought of him as still a member (and alive) of the LXG.

Yes, I recognized it immediately.  Also one of my favorites.
Sandy

Randy

Well, Ms. Sandy, perhaps we should take in a movie together. I've got a credit card with a zero balance and I'm not afraid to use it. :)
:popcorn:

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Randy on May 21, 2020, 06:22:50 PM
Well, Ms. Sandy, perhaps we should take in a movie together. I've got a credit card with a zero balance and I'm not afraid to use it. :)
:popcorn:

:lol:  Sounds like my credit cards!
Sandy