News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

the pipe dream thread, or, what would do if you won th elottery?

Started by billy rubin, April 11, 2020, 09:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

i have to admit that if i had a spare $350,000, i would buy . . . another motorcycle.

but not just any motorcycle. i would buy this motorcycle:

^^^this is a 1938 HRD series a rapide. this 1000 cc machine was the blower bentley of two wheels, the mclaren 720 of its day

are you listening, tank?

ten years later a series b vincent blaclk lightning on they took the record at bonneville at 150 mph, looking not much different from this one.

but this one is a series A

anyway, not very many of these were made, fewere than the brough superior.. less than 80, at the end of the depression and before britain shut down for the war. some 60 still survive.

this one has non-matching motor and frame. it was built in december of 1938, scrapped out and rebuilt with some parts from other machines. 

vincentswere secial. over 25 years or so, only about 11,000 were ever built. they heald the all-out-land spoeed record for many years, until eclipsed by the 1970s kawasai 900Z.

today a run of the mill vincent from the fifties will cost some US$60,000. this one is a series A, and that makes it special, bitsa or not.

so now.

if you won the lottery, and the money could only collectd if you spent it on the passion of your life

and not paying off your student loans or your house or buying investment propeerties

what would you spend it on?

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Sandra Craft

Depending on how much money I won, I'd either start a small independent bookstore or a domestic animal sanctuary.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

No one

billy rubin

i once got my truck stuck in a pistachio orchard

the tow truck wouldnt go in because he was smarter than uz

but he tookuz to a motel and the next morning we winched it out by hand

pollinating almonds with my brand new wife

she was beautiful and still is

"I cannot understand the popularity of that kind of music, which is based on repetition. In a civilized society, things don't need to be said more than three times."

Dark Lightning

1. Hire a secretary to answer the phone and tell people "NO" when they want a loan, to invest my money in some get-rich scheme or if it's a "long-lost" relative looking to tap me for money. We have the entire family tree from the early 1900s on my dad's side and from the mid-1800s on my mother's side. We know who and where all the apes are.

2. Hookers and blow, since I've not indulged thus far in my life. J/K, that's a quick way to end up dead, or dead broke.

3. An endowment to my university.

4. Buy real estate, even though you said not to. It's my money! :P

Icarus

Billy I would not buy a Vincent. They were unreliable, had to change the carb jets when a cloud came in the sky, and they were seriously complex for the machines of the day.  I had a high school buddy who had a Black Lightening that could easily outrun my HD 74.  The Vincent was also far superior in handling a bumpy or curvy road on which my rigid frame Harley was dead meat.  Compared to a modern rice burner the Vincent would not even be in the chase.

I might look over the earth to find a Velocette 350, and also a Moto Guzzi Falcone 500 single whose engine turned backwards and had an external flywheel.   The Velo was a beginners machine with a rigid frame, from way back in the late forties.  SO alright already the Velo leaked oil and the Guzzi was a weird looking machine.  I liked them both for their particular kind of charm.  Part of the charm of the Velo is that a young woman, in Tampa rode one and I had the hots for her.....but she not for me.  Well at least I could covet her ride if not her body. ................Damn! That was a looooooong time ago.

hermes2015

I wouldn't buy a Vincent either — those swirly skies make me giddy. A Claude (Monet) though, is a different matter. I would love to have one of his large water lily paintings in my house.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

Tank

A large mansion and fit it out as a series of independent living areas for myself and my kids and their kids. I'd set up an endowment to keep the property maintained in perpetuity. It would have large grounds with a woodland area. It would be on the coast with its own beach. There would be a farm too.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tom62

A large mansion for me as well, with a huge library and a swimming pool in the garden (with staff to take care of it).
The universe never did make sense; I suspect it was built on government contract.
Robert A. Heinlein

xSilverPhinx

:notsure:

More than one talking about mansions, and while those are great and all, I'd go for something a little more...palacecy... :sidesmile: Fully staffed, of course.

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling."  :grin:

Nah, I'm just joking. If I won an absurd amount of money I would probably buy houses in a few different countries and spend the rest of my life traveling, with no fixed address. 
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

i would still buy the vincent. unreliable is where my machines already are, and most vincents you see these days have been retrofitted with amal concentrics anyway. although i think this egli vincent has amal mark 2s or dellortos, i cant tell

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

but i loved the falcone gooses as well.

if you have an i[phone you can buy this case for ti

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/-moto-guzzi-falcone-1950-pablo-franchi.html?product=iphone-case-cover&phoneCaseType=iphone10

Randy

I'd buy a house on the beach. Then I'd bring my caretaker with me, and set up everything so that I could enjoy the view and feel the ocean breeze while listening to the sounds. I'd have a screened in patio to keep the sun off of me.

I'd move my daughter and granddaughters down with me and they'd never need to worry about money anymore. There would be a pool for them as well. I'd have servants to maintain everything. I guess I'd need a big house for everyone.

I'd have a chauffeur driven limousine to take me to my appointments. Talk about getting an infusion in style! And then I'd have the chauffeur stop some place to get me an iced coffee on the way back.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Harmonie

I'd just want to move to New England or perhaps even Eastern Canada.

If it had to be only a passion of mine, I suppose I'd just donate it all to a good cause. I've always felt very strongly about feminism and LGBT rights, so probably something along there, or perhaps something anti-racism, because certainly that's 100% relevant, too.

Icon Image by Cherubunny on Tumblr
"I distrust those people who know so well what God wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires." - Susan B. Anthony

Randy

Hi Harmonie. Where in New England would you like to relocate to? I noticed your desire in the Dreams thread too.

I've never been to New England so I don't know much about it.
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

Anne D.

Any of Sandra's or Tank's or XsilverPhinx's plans sound lovely. Or establishing scholarships for mediocre students like myself. I've always thought it would be fun to give away money to people who don't expect it. Like playing fairy godmother.