News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Loch Ness Monster seen as real dinosaur in biology books taught in Louisiana

Started by Java, June 27, 2012, 09:45:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Java

(has this been posted?)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/loch-ness-monster-real-dinosaur-biology-books-taught-louisiana-school-article-1.1102340

Oh my gosh, you guys! The Loch Ness Monster is rea- wait, never mind.

Is there no end to this type of stupidity in the south? I currently live in Mississippi and we are the most religious state AND the dumbest. Hand in hand. But this, teaching The Loch Ness Monster to disprove evolution, is just pushing it.

Anyone else have some other religion in school based comparisons that are equally or more baffling?
Zombies are here already. They're called "the religious."

OldGit

This is almost beyond belief.  There are more nutters per square yard in the American bible belt than in Broadmoor prison.

Thanks for posting that, Java - I need a good laugh in the morning.

Asmodean

They need to be teaching about The Asmo to prove the existence of devils and demons, methink. Time to write a letter to someone, yes?  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

OldGit

This Loch Ness Monster - do you suppose it might be some Asmo-like creature escaped from the fiords?

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Asmodean on June 27, 2012, 01:31:01 PM
They need to be teaching about The Asmo to prove the existence of devils and demons, methink. Time to write a letter to someone, yes?  :D

All you need to do is claim that you don't evolve, and I'm pretty sure you'd be in.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: OldGit on June 27, 2012, 02:02:17 PM
This Loch Ness Monster - do you suppose it might be some Asmo-like creature escaped from the fiords?
Given it has a neck that's doubtful.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on June 27, 2012, 02:06:38 PM
All you need to do is claim that you don't evolve, and I'm pretty sure you'd be in.
The Asmo is eternal. No generation shift means no evolution. We are golden!  ;D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Ali

*facepalm*  I just...I can't....I don't..... *facepalm*

Also.

QuoteSome Christian schools eligible for vouchers are also reportedly teaching "Bible-based math," which doesn't include modern theories

WTF is Bible-based math?

ETA:  People always say that "math is the universal language."  Does the idea that Christians have their own special math suggest that they can't even speak the universal language?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on June 27, 2012, 04:08:10 PM
*facepalm*  I just...I can't....I don't..... *facepalm*

Also.

QuoteSome Christian schools eligible for vouchers are also reportedly teaching "Bible-based math," which doesn't include modern theories

WTF is Bible-based math?

ETA:  People always say that "math is the universal language."  Does the idea that Christians have their own special math suggest that they can't even speak the universal language?

I'm not necessarily crazy about it, but it seems it may just be 'normal' math but with bible activities through which to learn.

Ali

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Ali on June 27, 2012, 04:55:08 PM
What are the "modern theories" they are leaving out?

The one's I've seen online are for kids from about preschool aged to maybe 7 or 8 yrs of age.  I'm sure there's A LOT of modern theories being left out at those ages.

OldGit

Do they teach that pi = 3.0?

Quote from: 1 Kings 7.23And he made the molten sea of ten cubits from brim to brim, round in compass, and the height thereof was five cubits; and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about.

Ali

http://www.christianperspective.net/math/god-and-math/  *raised eyebrow*

Did you guys know that if god wasn't busy holding it together up there, 1+1 might not = 2.  What is, at it's essence, counting, apparently works because god created it and keeps it faithful.  I can't figure out what would happen if god wasn't holding it together for us.  1+1 could = 3. but does that mean that we just use the word 3 to convey the concept of 2, or does it mean that an extra thing popped up as a function of being added, but even if that were the case, wouldn't we just add another 1 anyway and call it 3?   ???

OldGit

^ This explains how the trinity can exist:  1+1+1=1, if god says so.

Asmodean

Quote from: Ali on June 27, 2012, 04:55:08 PM
What are the "modern theories" they are leaving out?
Gravity. The Asmo has always claimed it to be modernist bullshit.  :D
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.