News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

Reasons to be cheerful!

Started by Tank, June 26, 2010, 03:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billy rubin

bck ssome thirty years ago when i stole my wife away from her husband and we ran off together, she was an avid plant person. th ehouse we lived uin was a riot of flowers, vines, and fruit trees. then we had many years of pretty bleak poverty where we didn't spend much time on beauty.

now the kids are fledging and we're starting to get some better financial stability, and she's starting to pay more attention to plants. the latest is a shelf of carnivorous plants she's disovered in a local nursery

she called me up and told me she had found a shef of pitcher plants in the nursery, of all things, and was going to buy one. i think they're beautiful, and fascinating, and told her to buy two

i don't know how they fill up th epitchers under the caps. you're supposed to mist them.

in addition, she found a sundew, which i have never in my life even seen

and our venus flytrap, which has successfully survived the winter and is busy reducing our fly population at an infintesimally ineffective rate

the flytrap bloomed with a beutiful little flower on a tall stem. anotheris coing up and i'll post a picture when it pops

i expected nothing but im still disappointed

jumbojak

I had a good breakfast, am about to lounge in the tub for a bit, and then I'm going to the gym.

"Amazing what chimney sweeping can teach us, no? Keep your fire hot and
your flue clean."  - Ecurb Noselrub

"I'd be incensed by your impudence were I not so impressed by your memory." - Siz

Icarus

I have had ants of various species in my yard and my driveway. The fire ants are mean little bastards whose bite is venomous.

Soaring around on You Tube I found a simple way to dispatch the miserable beasties.   About 60 ccs of granulated sugar and about 15 or 20 ccs of Borax.  Somewhere around a three to one mix is about right but not a critical proportion.  Mix with just enough water to make a slurry.   Place a little bit of that potion near the ant bed. Within two hours, the ant colony will be wiped out. The greedy little bastards will consume the potion and also take some of it back into their den to share with the others including the queen.  Borax kills ants....who knew such a simple and common substance could be so effective?   Borax is also a marvelous cleaner for all sorts of uses.  Cheap too.

billy rubin

venus flytrap flower

about the size of a shilling, ifany of you still remember thatfar back

a nickel to the yanks

Magdalena

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

hermes2015

They look like hungry baby birds.
"Eventually everything connects - people, ideas, objects. The quality of the connections is the key to quality per se."
― Charles Eames

billy rubin

i never knew they flowered

not a plant to be trusting around, if youre an insect attracted to nectar, tho

Dark Lightning

xSilverPhinx

A friend of mine is really into venus flytraps. She calls them her "babies"  ;D

She would get really angry at people poking their "mouths" to see them close. She told me they close them only a certain number of times before shrivelling up. Interesting trivia.   ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

billy rubin

i didnt know they ever opened again. i thought they were single-shot

Tank

I have a now phone. So the battery now lasts longer!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

billy rubin

im home!

for a bit anyway.

my three bosses want me to take their new truck to our lease company to gey it ibspected, so i have tomorrow off. then ill take the new tractor and tgeir brand new driver to get him through orientation.

then my trucking company goes from three bosses and one driver, to three boss3s and two drivers.

all we need is another driver but they srem to be rare. because i are one, this seems odd tto me.

Randy

Quote from: billy rubin on May 05, 2021, 02:30:59 AM
im home!

for a bit anyway.

my three bosses want me to take their new truck to our lease company to gey it ibspected, so i have tomorrow off. then ill take the new tractor and tgeir brand new driver to get him through orientation.

then my trucking company goes from three bosses and one driver, to three boss3s and two drivers.

all we need is another driver but they srem to be rare. because i are one, this seems odd tto me.
Why so many bosses?
"Maybe it's just a bunch of stuff that happens." -- Homer Simpson
"Some people focus on the destination. Atheists focus on the journey." -- Barry Goldberg

billy rubin

i thought originally there was just my boss the truck mechanic, who troubleshoots and fixes the truck. but he works away from the house two weeks at a time so i mostly work  with his wife, boss number two, who is also a truck mechanic and handles parts and logistics.  then while i was out the first week i found out that they were partnered with boss number three, a field supervisor for the same company, who i had never heard of, but who handles the business side and such. so all three of them divide the company up, and when i communicate with them i send everything to all three. it appears to work so far

if they get a total of three drivers we ll have a staggered rotation in which two drivers are in a truck of their own two on one off, and the third dtiver's two weeks is in each truck for one week while the other driver of that truck is on home time.

Icarus

Tomorrow May 9 is mothers day.  Here is a salute and a word of gratitude for all you moms out there.

I need an emoji with a nice arrangement of flowers for all of you.