News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Started by Big Mac, July 26, 2006, 05:23:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

I just don't get how God couldn't just make his enemies stop breathing with his magic sauce. I mean he created everything out of thin air you'd think he could just snap his fingers and those who have angered him would just die. But then the Bible would be boring and too outrageous (it's so rational right now :roll: ) that almost no one would actually believe it.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Asmodean Prime

we are all subject to the awesome power of nature.   Best not to get too complacent or arrogant, in my opinion. We are just small cogs in a big wheel. Better men have gone before me, that's what I have learned.   A sense of humility is in order when dealing with these things.  Don't agree?

Well, time will tell, anyway.

Aullios

Quote from: "onlyme"we are all subject to the awesome power of nature.   Best not to get too complacent or arrogant, in my opinion. We are just small cogs in a big wheel. Better men have gone before me, that's what I have learned.   A sense of humility is in order when dealing with these things.  Don't agree?

However, the 'awesome power of nature' has limits based on the equations that govern it.

-A hurricane can't continue to strengthen over land because a warm core low cannot sustain itself without the latent heat provided by a warm ocean below it.
-A hurricane or a tornado cannot have winds stronger than a certain limit before angular momentum tears them apart.
-A synoptic scale high pressure system cannot spin cyclonically, just as a low pressure system on the same scale cannot spin anticyclonically.
-It can never rain at every location at any given time.

These are just some examples of the limitations of the atmosphere. You will never see any of these things happen because they cannot happen.

Asmodean Prime

Quote from: "Aullios"
Quote from: "onlyme"we are all subject to the awesome power of nature.   Best not to get too complacent or arrogant, in my opinion. We are just small cogs in a big wheel. Better men have gone before me, that's what I have learned.   A sense of humility is in order when dealing with these things.  Don't agree?

However, the 'awesome power of nature' has limits based on the equations that govern it.

-A hurricane can't continue to strengthen over land because a warm core low cannot sustain itself without the latent heat provided by a warm ocean below it.
-A hurricane or a tornado cannot have winds stronger than a certain limit before angular momentum tears them apart.
-A synoptic scale high pressure system cannot spin cyclonically, just as a low pressure system on the same scale cannot spin anticyclonically.
-It can never rain at every location at any given time.

These are just some examples of the limitations of the atmosphere. You will never see any of these things happen because they cannot happen.

And do you think, Aullios, that nature can't overwhelm you at any given moment?

Aullios

Of course nature can overwhelm me at any given moment... if the conditions are right.

I would consider being caught in a hurricane, a flash flood, a tornado, a forest fire, or a softball-sized hailstorm being overwhelmed.  However, my point is that nature cannot overwhelm everybody at the same time.

Asmodean Prime

I suppose it depends on what you class as 'nature'.  A cosmic catastrophe such as an asteroid impact could indeed wipe us all out in a single event, if the conditions were right.

Aullios

Quote from: "onlyme"I suppose it depends on what you class as 'nature'.  A cosmic catastrophe such as an asteroid impact could indeed wipe us all out in a single event, if the conditions were right.

Ah... I was limiting my view to atmospheric events such as Noah's flood was.  Of course an asteroid or a comet wouldn't be pleasant ;)

Big Mac

Well that's why we have Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, and Michael Clark Duncan. They can stop it!!!!

Asmodean Prime

Bigmac

Ha ha....hail Bruce Willis!

what would we do without him, I wonder?

Big Mac

Die. Simply die without him and his Die Hard franchise.

Huxley

QuoteA cosmic catastrophe such as an asteroid impact could indeed wipe us all out in a single event, if the conditions were right

That would be a moot point and not entirely true. The largest asteroids that hit the Earth didnt wipe out reptiles, lizards, newts and mammals.

We have better anticipation than than these creatures and could take measures, do take measures to minimise natural catastrophe. The entire destruction of humans and a lot of creatures is by no means assured.