News:

Unnecessarily argumentative

Main Menu

Are 1/10 Atheists left handers??

Started by Siz, May 10, 2012, 08:53:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crow

I'm ambidextrous. My writing with my left isn't as good as it is with my right but that's because writing in English with the right hand is much easier, though when I have attempted Japanese I find it easier with my left hand. Sports I have always been able to do both handed and footed, but in general the right is my go to hand.

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 10, 2012, 08:53:22 PM
Many great artists and thinkers were (are) left handed.

Also the same is true for dyslexics.
Retired member.

Crow

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 11, 2012, 04:20:54 AM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 10, 2012, 08:59:37 PM
I'm a lefty. I actually had to teach myself to write sideways because I was tired of getting pencil smudges on my hand.

Da Vinci seemed to have solved that problem by writing in mirror text ;D

That's a trait of dyslexic left handed people. It's also the main reason I find writing with my left harder in English due to the fact that I naturally want to write mirrored and consciously have to write the other way. [edit] Though its not necessarily a confirmation that he was, but the leading consensus among experts is that he was.
Retired member.

kraftycheese

Woo! glad to see that 26.3% of the 19 atheists in this forum are lefties!

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: kraftycheese on May 11, 2012, 04:12:38 PM

I suspect that there might be more "lefty pride" than "righty pride", so I think that could be throwing the numbers off a little bit.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 11, 2012, 05:08:45 PM

I suspect that there might be more "lefty pride" than "righty pride", so I think that could be throwing the numbers off a little bit.

I think so, too. Also, left-handed people are probably more inclined to click on a thread titled 'are 1/10 atheists left handers', whereas right-handed people may subconsciously think "oh, that doesn't apply to me" and they might move on without reading/commenting.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Amicale on May 11, 2012, 06:50:25 PM

I think so, too. Also, left-handed people are probably more inclined to click on a thread titled 'are 1/10 atheists left handers', whereas right-handed people may subconsciously think "oh, that doesn't apply to me" and they might move on without reading/commenting.

Not to mention that some left-handed people (no one here) carry on like it qualifies them for genius status.  :P
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 11, 2012, 07:03:07 PM

Not to mention that some left-handed people (no one here) carry on like it qualifies them for genius status.  :P

:D yeah, it's funny when someone does that.

My friends often joke (lovingly, of course  ;)) that I'm lefthanded, lesbian, atheist and a few other things  :P so nothing about me is 'typical'.  ;D But I don't think being atypical makes me a genius. It just makes me a bit different, and I'm VERY okay with 'different'.  :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Siz

It doesn't??

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 11, 2012, 07:27:47 PM

It doesn't??

LOL :D

You thinking correlation or causation?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

xSilverPhinx

One question: do any of you have a preference for one side while walking? I feel very uncomfortable when walking to somebody's right.

Buddy

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 11, 2012, 07:37:24 PM
One question: do any of you have a preference for one side while walking? I feel very uncomfortable when walking to somebody's right.

It differs from person to person for me, but otherwise yes, I do like to stick to one side.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Ali

Righty here, although I skateboard "goofy foot."  Not that I skateboard any more, but back when I was a teen. 

My brother is a lefty (and an atheist) so I guess you could count him in if you wanted. 

Siz

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 11, 2012, 07:34:16 PM

It doesn't??

You choose. Which one d'you think I'll have more success with? :D

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 11, 2012, 09:53:00 PM
Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 11, 2012, 07:34:16 PM

Not to mention that some left-handed people (no one here) carry on like it qualifies them for genius status.  :P

It doesn't??

You choose. Which one d'you think I'll have more success with? :D

:D

Now its clear why there was so much superstition surrounding lefties. You're trying to get me to work with my own biases.

;)

McQ

Lefty here. Although I play hockey right handed. And I golf lefty, but putt righty. Who knows?
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette