News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

i've thrown out the bathwater to find there is no baby...

Started by kitty, May 10, 2012, 02:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

QuoteRe: i've thrown out the bathwater to find there is no baby...

Well don't look at me, I haven't got it.
(Furtively nudges large boiler out of sight.)

Hello -
Soft kitty,
Warm kitty,
Little ball of fur.
Happy kitty,
Sleepy kitty,
Purr Purr Purr

kitty

Quote from: texasatheist on May 10, 2012, 10:37:37 PM
Doesn't it feel good to make purpose than to pray for it?!  It's been 5 years and I'm still like a kid in a candy store with science, and how great life really is without the fairy tales. I feel bad for my family and friends still trapped in that ridiculous lie, and I'd love to break them out but it's just not possible.  They have to have that journey themselves like I did.

yes, it does feel good to be reliant on myself, and not some random bloke. it's brilliant, the world is even more amazing knowing how it came about through science and not because it magically appeared.
i look at people a little differently, but i'm not going to force my opinion or preach, fairytales are too close to people's hearts so i'm not going to be the person to rip them away. like me, i reckon they need to do it in their own time.

thanks for yr words of support and kindness.

i've been dropping hints to my mum for a little while now, but she's a little blind to it atm. nevermind, i'm sure the right time will come eventually.

x
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

kitty

yay! managed to 'quote' properly (screwed it up yesterday) - i'm soooo new at the whole forum thing.
x
Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? (Douglas Adams)

Tank

Quote from: kitty on May 11, 2012, 08:38:25 AM

i've been dropping hints to my mum for a little while now, but she's a little blind to it atm. nevermind, i'm sure the right time will come eventually.

x
Get your sister to tell your mum. Then she'll have a chance to think about her reaction.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

kitty

Quote from: Tank on May 11, 2012, 12:40:40 PM
Get your sister to tell your mum. Then she'll have a chance to think about her reaction.

haha. no, i'm quite grown up (when it suits me), i can fight this battle without putting my poor sis under unneccessary stress.
x

kitty

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 11, 2012, 05:53:46 AM
QuoteRe: i've thrown out the bathwater to find there is no baby...

Well don't look at me, I haven't got it.
(Furtively nudges large boiler out of sight.)

Hello -
Soft kitty,
Warm kitty,
Little ball of fur.
Happy kitty,
Sleepy kitty,
Purr Purr Purr

*sings along haha

Buddy

So, how many cat-involved people do we have on this forum now?  :D

Welcome to the forum, fellow reptile enthusiast.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

kitty

Quote from: Budhorse4 on May 11, 2012, 04:22:37 PM

thank you fellow animal lover.

thank you for proving to me that the old (christian) adage is wrong and that all atheists are not evil lol
x

Tank

Quote from: kitty on May 11, 2012, 04:25:14 PM

thank you for proving to me that the old (christian) adage is wrong and that all atheists are not evil lol
x
And how old do you think Buddy is  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Buddy

Quote from: Tank on May 11, 2012, 05:07:02 PM
Quote from: kitty on May 11, 2012, 04:25:14 PM

x
And how old do you think Buddy is  ;D

Shhhh!
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

markmcdaniel

Welcome to the forum. As a question though why are you hiding your atheism related books? You have said that you have been dropping hints to your mother for some time with out result. It may well be that letting her find your books may well be the conversation starter that you are looking for.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

kitty

Quote from: markmcdaniel on May 30, 2012, 05:54:47 AM
Welcome to the forum. As a question though why are you hiding your atheism related books? You have said that you have been dropping hints to your mother for some time with out result. It may well be that letting her find your books may well be the conversation starter that you are looking for.

not hiding them so much anymore. when i was reading the god delusion it was all big and red, but on the days i forgot to stash it, she never noticed it anyway.
after our convo the other day, i dont fear being confronted so much anymore. i dont want to hurt her feelings but i'm not afraid to stand up for what i believe in. guess i just needed more time for it to settle in my head, if you knwo what i mean.

markmcdaniel

Quote from: kitty on May 30, 2012, 08:25:12 AM
Quote from: markmcdaniel on May 30, 2012, 05:54:47 AM

not hiding them so much anymore. when i was reading the god delusion it was all big and red, but on the days i forgot to stash it, she never noticed it anyway.
after our convo the other day, i dont fear being confronted so much anymore. i dont want to hurt her feelings but i'm not afraid to stand up for what i believe in. guess i just needed more time for it to settle in my head, if you knwo what i mean.
I know exactly what you mean.
It appears to me (whether rightly or wrongly) that direct arguments against Christianity and theism produce hardly any effect on the public; and freedom of thought is best promoted by the gradual illumination of men's minds which follows from the advance of science - Charles Darwin

I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the object of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own -- a god, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. Neither can I believe that the individual survives the death of his body, although feeble souls harbor such thoughts through fear or ridiculous egotism. - Albert Einstein

Religion is a by product of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity. - Arther C. Clarke

Faith means not wanting to know what is true. - Friedrich Nietzsche

MadBomr101

Quote from: kitty on May 10, 2012, 02:36:54 PMlooking forward to having people i can talk to about the every day stuff that is affected by the fact that we dont presume there's a man in the sky looking after us, and dare i say it....there isnt a heaven for the dead bunny to go to? (our bunny recently died & i had to explain to the kids why/where he'd gone, VERY tempting to say bunny heaven).

Are you suggesting there is NO bunny heaven?!   :o
- Bomr
I'm waiting for the movie of my life to be made.  It should cost about $7.23 and that includes the budget for special effects.

kitty

Quote from: MadBomr101 on May 31, 2012, 06:25:13 AM
Quote from: kitty on May 10, 2012, 02:36:54 PMlooking forward to having people i can talk to about the every day stuff that is affected by the fact that we dont presume there's a man in the sky looking after us, and dare i say it....there isnt a heaven for the dead bunny to go to? (our bunny recently died & i had to explain to the kids why/where he'd gone, VERY tempting to say bunny heaven).

Are you suggesting there is NO bunny heaven?!   :o

i'm so sorry for your loss  :( (i presume you have bunnies in 'bunny heaven'). but isnt it nice to know they are making some crackin fertiliser. comforting.