News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

a lurker shuffles into the light

Started by Space Pope Approved, May 09, 2012, 11:32:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Space Pope Approved

...just for a moment, certainly.

I really just want to whine on the introvert/extrovert thread.  But, maybe another topic will come up where I have (gasp) an opinion and I'll have an account to make it known...

I'm American but am now teaching English in a somewhat infamously Catholic country.  I have probably been lucky to not meet many big believers; most people I run into define themselves as agnostic.  If people give me crap about anything, it's more likely to be my nationality than my lack of faith.  One could argue that I could change my nationality without going through any soul-searching, like you should when you change or drop a religion, but a new passport doesn't make you feel like part of a society, and doesn't make people accept you as one of them either.  Maybe I just have a deep-seated need to be an outsider.

Amicale

Welcome, Space Pope Approved!  :)

Interesting username, how did you choose it?

Feel free to whine/rant all you want on the introvert/extrovert thread. Looking forward to seeing what you have to say.

Hope you enjoy HAF!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

Hi lurky-mc-lurk! Welcome!
Since you've been reading but not joining for a while, I'll guess... introvert?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Firebird

Welcome! Also curious about where the name comes from
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Space Pope Approved

Buddy

Never seen it. Welcome to the forum.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Welcome space pope! Do you wear a funny space helmet??
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Recusant

Hello, Space Pope Approved. Even if you're only stepping into the light for a moment, you're welcome here. I do watch Futurama, though not religiously. For those that don't at all:

QuoteNotes for new members from Tank:

The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts. Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum. It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.

I hope you stick around now that you've actually said hello, and that you enjoy your time reading and posting here!

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

xSilverPhinx

Welcome!

Interesting username, please add a post to the 'Where did you get your username from' thread Recusant linked! ;D

Interesting thing you said about outsiders. I just am one, doesn't come from any deep-seated needs, it just is. Having grown up around the world it's a sentiment I'm quite used to, actually.

Which 'infamously Catholic country' would that be?
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Sandra Craft

Well, as long as you're Space Pope approved I suppose it'll be all right.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Tank

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Greetings, your Interstellar Holiness!

Space Pope Approved

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on May 10, 2012, 12:23:17 AM
Welcome space pope! Do you wear a funny space helmet??

I'm only approved, not ordained.  No phallus-hat for me.

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 10, 2012, 12:34:21 AM
Which 'infamously Catholic country' would that be?

Spain.  Where they had a big gathering of young Catholics last summer.  And rumor has it that the first thing stores ran out of when they started arriving was condoms.

texasatheist

Welcome Space Pope, I think it's a great idea to mock religious doctrine in all languages.  I'm still on probation myself, so I unintentionally lurk but I've read some great perspectives here and hope you enjoy as much as I do.

Lurk on.

Firebird

Quote from: Space Pope Approved on May 09, 2012, 11:43:50 PM
What, nobody watches Futurama?

Ahhh, right. Been a while since I saw that one. We watched it all the way through a few years ago. So glad they brought it back.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"