News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Now hiring trolls

Started by Amicale, May 08, 2012, 06:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

OK, so this ad is from maybe a year ago, but this is an eye-rolling media tactic designed to get people riled up.

I can't help but wonder if there still ARE people getting actually paid to pull this crap. It's amazing how political entities (even if not formally endorsed by the party) use social media to shamelessly bother people, rile them up, and get them ticked off. The obvious objective here is to have these 'writers' post from a right-wing/conservative viewpoint, in order to tick off the liberals to the point where the liberals will snap and look like idiots.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Tank

If true this is appalling and not surprising in today's media infested world.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

OldGit

Curses!  They've spotted me.

DeterminedJuliet

Yeah, I remember seeing this. I tweeted about it when it first came 'round.

Honestly, the political climate in Canada has gone completely crazy. Did you hear about how the conservatives are trying to sneak a bunch of environmental-law restrictions (as in, preventing the protection of the environment) into the budget? And he's passed a motion to limit debate on it? Oh, and did you hear about how the robocall scandal was linked back to a conservative MP? ANNNDDD how there is evidence that the entire conservative leadership knowingly lied about the cost of the fighter jet purchases during the election - to the point of creating two different sets of paperwork, a "media" friendly version and the real version?

I could go on and on, I could. And I called it. As soon as he got a majority, I knew we were in for some serious shenanigans. [/rant]
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 08, 2012, 07:56:28 PM

Honestly, the political climate in Canada has gone completely crazy. Did you hear about how the conservatives are trying to sneak a bunch of environmental-law restrictions (as in, preventing the protection of the environment) into the budget? And he's passed a motion to limit debate on it? Oh, and did you hear about how the robocall scandal was linked back to a conservative MP? ANNNDDD how there is evidence that the entire conservative leadership knowingly lied about the cost of the fighter jet purchases during the election - to the point of creating two different sets of paperwork, a "media" friendly version and the real version?

I could go on and on, I could. And I called it. As soon as he got a majority, I knew we were in for some serious shenanigans. [/rant]

Yes to all the above, heard about it, been following it, and it disgusts me. 'Shenanigans' is a nice word for all of this. Harper's government was even found to be in contempt of parliament last year. It's crazy. And then there are folks who post ads like the one above. Do they somehow think they'll help Harper by doing that? Or are they secretly trying to take him down by mocking him and making the Conservatives look like trolls?  :P

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Amicale on May 08, 2012, 08:04:49 PM
Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 08, 2012, 07:56:28 PM

Yes to all the above, heard about it, been following it, and it disgusts me. 'Shenanigans' is a nice word for all of this. Harper's government was even found to be in contempt of parliament last year. It's crazy. And then there are folks who post ads like the one above. Do they somehow think they'll help Harper by doing that? Or are they secretly trying to take him down by mocking him and making the Conservatives look like trolls?  :P

I think that particular ad came about because, during the last election, there was a HUGE liberal/NDP/Green voice online. I followed the Cdnpoli hashtag pretty closely during the election, and I'm sure that over 90% of the stuff that was on twitter was anti-conservative (and not just "pro" the other guys, but really anti-Harper).  I think it just speaks to the demographics - I'd be willing to go out on a limb and venture that most die-hard Harper supporters are not the most social-media savvy. Hence them having to pay someone. The Conservatives themselves don't seem to mind playing every dirty trick in the book, so they probably wouldn't care so much about how it looks.  ::)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

ThinkAnarchy

They would have had better success targeting the commenters at this site.

http://hotair.com/

They pissed me off when they stopped allowing new accounts to register. The only people left seemed to be those who would have been great for that job listing. It turned into one big extreme-conservative circle jerk with a handful of dissenting views left.

Not sure if it has changed in the past couple years, but the comment section used to provide me with hours of entertainment.

I'm assuming Conservatives are similar regardless of their nation.

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.