News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

BUDHISM derail into Satanism.

Started by Ali, May 06, 2012, 03:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firebird

Quote from: Ali on May 07, 2012, 04:05:01 PM
It's the magic part I'm still hung up on.  If they don't actually believe in "magic" then why would they spend the energy doing rituals to perpetrate "manipulation and deception?"  Who are they manipulating and decieving?  From that statement, if I was forced to speculate, I would assume that it's to induce fear in the credulous.  Which I admit I don't have a lot of respect for.  Lying to basically bully someone isn't something I'm really in to.

My impression is that it's one of those "shared experience" things that's supposed to bring people together, like some of the chants and ceremonial crap you see in secret societies or fraternities. Or churches :)
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Siz

Quote from: Ali

It's the magic part I'm still hung up on.  If they don't actually believe in "magic" then why would they spend the energy doing rituals to perpetrate "manipulation and deception?"  Who are they manipulating and decieving?  From that statement, if I was forced to speculate, I would assume that it's to induce fear in the credulous.  Which I admit I don't have a lot of respect for.  Lying to basically bully someone isn't something I'm really in to.

As for the rules and statements, they don't bother me.  Some of them I agree with, some of them I disagree with, but meh.  I don't need to agree with Satanists any more than I need to agree with Christians.  I guess at the bottom of it, I just really don't understand the point of it all, if they don't actually believe in a deity.  The glorious thing about being an atheist is freeing yourself from dogma.  I don't really understand why one would bother to throw off one religious dogma only to embrace another, but to each his own. 

And come on, you can NOT tell me that you typed out the words "lair" and "the mating signal" with a straight face.   ;D  "Step into my lair.  Consider this your mating signal.  Rawr."  ;D
Copy and paste insulates me from such personal involvement! ;D

To clarify, rituals and magic are not interdependent. Not much point in using 'magic' on your compatriots in the comfort of your own church is there? Dogma, nor magic, nor ritual are a necessary part of the Satanism. Nothing is. Nothing is considered more important than personal freedom, and that includes ones deportment in relation to the philosophy. Agree, disagree... follow 1 rule, all of them or none... noone gives a shit, least of all the late LaVey. Some people choose to be all cosmic-bozo about it. Most are just ordinary people who are MORE free than most because they are enabling their human desires, emancipated from self-conscience, guilt and social repression often born of religious stigma in the first place.

I am a sympathiser - not an adherent, not an apologist. Just a bloke shedding some light on a misconception.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

philosoraptor

Satanism ranks right up there with Scientology for me-intended more as satire than to be serious, ultimately harmless, and attractive to unbalanced people.  Reading the rules and statements, it seems like the only purpose is to be contrary.  As in, "Oh yeah, Christians?  Well if your club is going to turn the other cheek, than my club will destroy people who piss us off.  Nyah nyah nyah!"  I don't think anyone really needs dogma, doctrine or ritual to be contrary.  You could, you know...just do what you feel like all the time anyway and be an indulgent person, not a Satanist.  ::)

As for the devil-worshipping branch of Satanists... ::)

"Come ride with me through the veins of history,
I'll show you how god falls asleep on the job.
And how can we win when fools can be kings?
Don't waste your time or time will waste you."
-Muse

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on May 07, 2012, 04:05:01 PM
"Step into my lair.  Consider this your mating signal.  Rawr."  ;D

Geez, if only it were that easy.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Amicale

Is it just me or are

"If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy."

and

"When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him."

completely over the top? I mean, what's the purpose of treating anyone cruelly for merely annoying you? That's kinda like a little kid, saying "mommy, my brother's bugging me, I'm gonna bash his head in cause I can't control my temper!"   ;) And then the whole bit about destroying someone who won't stop bothering you.... yeah... anyone who's ever had to go shopping with teenagers will know what I mean when I say if we all followed this advice, there'd be very few teenagers left in the world.  :D

I dunno, whoever equated satanism with humanism seems to have a different definition of humanism than I do.  :P

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

It's pretty hyperbolic. I'm sure even the most hardcore Satanist doesn't literally kill every person who gets in their way and bothers them. If they did, we'd see a lot more Satanists on the news. So Atheist Satanists label themselves under a god they don't literally believe in and adhere to a list of practices that they don't literally follow.  ???

If you want to do whatever the hell you want and don't really care about other people, I think it'd be clearer to just say that.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Ali

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on May 08, 2012, 02:22:54 PM
It's pretty hyperbolic. I'm sure even the most hardcore Satanist doesn't literally kill every person who gets in their way and bothers them. If they did, we'd see a lot more Satanists on the news. So Atheist Satanists label themselves under a god they don't literally believe in and adhere to a list of practices that they don't literally follow.  ???

If you want to do whatever the hell you want and don't really care about other people, I think it'd be clearer to just say that.

Ja.  I guess at the end of the day, I don't really get why (atheistic) Satanists bother with it all.  Do you really need rules and statements to help you be selfish?  I sure don't.

Sweetdeath

What exactly is a mating call?

Anyway, reading over those rules is  kind is like "why have set rules and guide lines at all" ?

Sorry, but people who have "what to do/what not to do" written books are loonies.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 15, 2012, 04:48:55 AM

In the UK it's "Wanna Fuk Luv?" while I believe in Australia it's "Brace yourself Shelia!".
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

En_Route

Quote from: Tank on May 15, 2012, 07:30:18 PM

In the UK it's "Wanna Fuk Luv?"

I get this all the time. I have to tell them I'm booked solid for months.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Tank on May 15, 2012, 07:30:18 PM

In the UK it's "Wanna Fuk Luv?" while I believe in Australia it's "Brace yourself Shelia!".

From memory the "brace yourself" thing sounds more like foreplay than a mating call, though in my isolated cave I'm not really in touch with modern goings on.

Sweetdeath

I guess my flirting is a little different.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Ali

Isn't a "Sheila" a girl kangaroo?

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Ali on May 16, 2012, 06:28:22 AM

No
I mean there could be a girl kangaroo called "Sheila," I don't know all their names but it isn't a general name like sow or mare.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: The Magic Pudding on May 16, 2012, 07:06:38 AM
Quote from: Ali on May 16, 2012, 06:28:22 AM

No
I mean there could be a girl kangaroo called "Sheila," I don't know all their names but it isn't a general name like sow or mare.

I thought a "sheila" was a girl human in Australia.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany