News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

BUDHISM derail into Satanism.

Started by Ali, May 06, 2012, 03:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: rickrocks on May 04, 2012, 06:38:21 PM
My brother was an atheist until he turned Buddhist. (note spelling) I was mortified. He said it's perfect for atheists because you don't have to believe anything, you just have to do the practice. Well, the practice was as close to religious ritual as I've ever seen, clanging gongs and lighting incense and chanting til blue in the mouth. But there's no dissuading big brother. He swore his chanting had a positive effect on my life. Nope. Can't go there, bro. I mean, I love you too, but...

Tank, I'm about to totally derail, so feel free to split off if you think it needs to be.

The above reminded me of why I am totally irritated by Satanists (as I understand them.)  Keep in mind that most of my knowledge of Satanism was garnered from a 15 minute slot on "Secret Lives of Women", so the Satanist they interviewed may well not be representative of most Satanists, or it could have been edited to make for better TV, or whatever.

But basically, what this lady said is that Satanists are atheists, and they value reason and skepticism, and that they don't actually worship Satan as a deity, "Satan" is just a metaphor for basically owning your humanity in all of it's hedonistic imperfection (or something like that, I'm paraphrasing.)  Okay, so far so good.  I'm down.  But then, they showed how she did this "ceremony" where she was all "Oh Dark Lord...blah blah blah...." around a statue of a devil.  And I was a little like "Wow, it sure looks like you're worshipping a deity, what with all the 'Oh Lord-ing'..." But I was willing to let it go.  Metaphors, okay.  I understand that symbolic rituals can sometimes be helpful in focusing your energy on something.  I am currently practicing a ritual with T where we add a bead to a string for every day that I keep a certain promise to him and myself, so I get that intangibles sometimes help.  

But then, THEN, she was talking about how one time during one of her rituals, she was mad at her neighbor, so she wrote his name on a piece of paper and stabbed the paper with a sword and the next day he died.  *Cue scary music*

And that's when my head exploded.  Seriously?  If that's an accurate representation of Satanist beliefs (they are atheists, but they *do* believe that, for example, you can cause harm to someone by stabbing a piece of paper) then they are the very stupidist of religions or belief systems, or whatever.  Because in that case, the chain of cause and effect is completely broken.  I get why theists believe that praying accomplishes something.  They believe that their deity is listening and will intervene on their behalf.  I disagree with that assessment, but at least I understand the cause and effect.  If a Satanist doesn't believe in any literal deity that will intervene on their behalf, how can they believe that stabbing a piece of paper will produce any effect other than a holey piece of paper?  Where is the chain of cause and effect?

I think I got especially het up because she went on and on about how she is an atheist.  Kind of a "No True Scotsman" reaction, I suppose.

/end rant.

Tank

Derail split at Ali's suggestion, although why she couldn't have just started the thread in the first place I know not.

*wanders of grumbling*
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2012, 04:24:51 PM
Derail split at Ali's suggestion, although why she couldn't have just started the thread in the first place I know not.

*wanders of grumbling*

You should change your avatar to Mr Grumpy.

I wasn't sure about splitting it off because I wanted to quote rickrocks on Buddhism since it was a natural continuance of that conversation, but not actually about Buddhism.  I didn't know how to quote rickrocks, indicate that it was a divergence from that conversation, and still have it make sense in a different thread.

Plus, I like to make you work for it.  ;D

Tank

Quote from: Ali on May 06, 2012, 04:36:14 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2012, 04:24:51 PM

*wanders of grumbling*

You should change your avatar to Mr Grumpy.

I wasn't sure about splitting it off because I wanted to quote rickrocks on Buddhism since it was a natural continuance of that conversation, but not actually about Buddhism.  I didn't know how to quote rickrocks, indicate that it was a divergence from that conversation, and still have it make sense in a different thread.

Plus, I like to make you work for it.  ;D

Bad Ali
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Tank, don't you know that we live to give you things to do?  ;D

And yeah, Ali, I totally get what you mean. We had a couple of self-identified Satanist/Atheists come through here and that was the biggest thing I couldn't get my head around. Why "Satan"? Even if it's just a philosophy, surely there has to be a less misleading rallying point? If you say "Satanist" people will think "you worship Satan and think he's real", why wouldn't they? Part of me wonders if some people just like the inflammatory nature of the word. 

As for the holey swordy thing. I don't know, that seems like some pretty clear voodoo magic stuff. 
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Ali on May 06, 2012, 03:46:58 PM
My brother was an atheist until he turned Buddhist. (note spelling) I was mortified. He said it's perfect for atheists because you don't have to believe anything, you just have to do the practice. Well, the practice was as close to religious ritual as I've ever seen, clanging gongs and lighting incense and chanting til blue in the mouth. But there's no dissuading big brother. He swore his chanting had a positive effect on my life. Nope. Can't go there, bro. I mean, I love you too, but...

. . .  And that's when my head exploded.  Seriously?  If that's an accurate representation of Satanist beliefs (they are atheists, but they *do* believe that, for example, you can cause harm to someone by stabbing a piece of paper) then they are the very stupidist of religions or belief systems, or whatever.  

Re: Buddhists, if memory serves (and in my case it usually doesn't) there's also the business of bringing offerings to the ritual set-up.  Like Ali, I get the whole visual aid thing but to me "offering" implies a recipient on the other end whose pleasure or displeasure you're trying to sway, which is were the atheism claim goes off the rails for me.

I think this case and the atheist-Satanist case are just attempts to have it both ways at once.  
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

xSilverPhinx

We had a somewhat regular poster who called herself a satanist a while back (Medusa). She linked to a site where they explained that Satanists are atheists, and have a lot in common with humanists, but they differ in that satanists like rituals (which makes them quasi-religious but ok).

There was nothing about them even believing that satan was real, he just personified things for them...but ok. IMO it's a bit odd to personify something you dont believe concretely exists and worship it with rituals. Reminds me of the worshipping of personified goddess Reason during the french revolution, when things really got odd. ???
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Siz

There are two main types of Satanist: Theistic (who worship the devil - which seems just a bit.... daft to me), and Atheistic (who worship the self and follow a policy of self-gratification).

Atheistic Satanists (often following the Satanic Bible written by Anton LaVey) do use 'magic' but it's all just about manipulation and deception. No supernatural involved. I love Anton LaVey's quote stating "those who spell magik with a 'k', aren't". This woman you're talking about just sounds a bit confused and would be laughed out of town (or worse) by hardcore LaVeyan Satanists.

I've read the Satanic bible and it sits well with me, although I'm not sufficiently selfish or disciplined to adhere to the doctrine. The fact that they call themselves 'Satanists' is more a protest against Theistic religion than as a doffing-the-cap to the AntiChrist. It sure is a misleading and emotive title - used to shock by noticeboxes. That is why I chose to use the phrase 'LaVeyan' rather than 'Satanist' in my icon title.

In reality Laveyan Satanists are just self obsessed Atheists, keen required to satisfy their human desires (within certain limits relating to indefensible victims (children, the infirm or animals)). Nothing more sinister than that.

These are the Eleven Satanic Rules of Earth:
1. Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
2. Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
3. When in another's lair, show him respect or else do not go there.
4. If a guest in your lair annoys you, treat him cruelly and without mercy.
5. Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
6. Do not take that which does not belong to you unless it is a burden to the other person and he cries out to be relieved.
7. Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
8. Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
9. Do not harm little children.
10. Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
11. When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask him to stop. If he does not stop, destroy him.

And these are the Nine Satanic Statements:
1. Satan represents indulgence, instead of abstinence!
2. Satan represents vital existence, instead of spiritual pipe-dreams!
3. Satan represents undefiled wisdom, instead of hypocritical self-deceit!
4. Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates!
5. Satan represents vengeance, instead of turning the other cheek!
6. Satan represents responsibility to the responsible, instead of concern for psychic vampires!
7. Satan represents man as just another animal, sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours, who, because of his "divine spiritual and intellectual development" has become the most vicious animal of all!
8. Satan represents all the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification!
9. Satan has been the best friend of the church as he has kept it in business all of these years!

So, nothing to be scared of.... and nothing that gives its followers special powers.

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

xSilverPhinx

I really like some of those rules ;D
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 06, 2012, 10:03:41 PM

So, nothing to be scared of.... and nothing that gives its followers special powers.

Don't worry Siz.  I'm not scared of Satanists.  Bemused is a better word for what I am.

Siz

Quote from: Ali on May 07, 2012, 04:59:12 AM

Don't worry Siz.  I'm not scared of Satanists.  Bemused is a better word for what I am.

Why bemused? It's fairly clearly and concisely defined above, and the Satanic Bible which expands on these is less than 100 pages long and reads like a jargon-free essay, without pomp or condescension.

I've come to the conclusion that it's perhaps easier for me than most to align myself because I'm naturally free of the burden of indiscriminate compassion (or sometimes any compassion at all). You may call that a failure, I see it as a liberator. Is that selfish? Only if I allow it to manifest itself so - that is my choice and my prerogative to so decide. You may judge me by my actions, and that is your prerogative. Satanism allows plenty of room for good deeds and charity - in fact the 'Church' has charity committees which work to provide help for the deserving - those who are in unfortunate positions through no fault of their own AND WHO ARE WILLING TO HELP THEMSELVES.

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Siz

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on May 06, 2012, 08:26:14 PM
Quote from: Ali on May 06, 2012, 03:46:58 PM

. . .  And that's when my head exploded.  Seriously?  If that's an accurate representation of Satanist beliefs (they are atheists, but they *do* believe that, for example, you can cause harm to someone by stabbing a piece of paper) then they are the very stupidist of religions or belief systems, or whatever.  

Re: Buddhists, if memory serves (and in my case it usually doesn't) there's also the business of bringing offerings to the ritual set-up.  Like Ali, I get the whole visual aid thing but to me "offering" implies a recipient on the other end whose pleasure or displeasure you're trying to sway, which is were the atheism claim goes off the rails for me.

I think this case and the athiest-Satanist case are just attempts to have it both ways at once.  

In fact the Laveyan Satanist despises this ritual (see No.10 of the satanic rules). It is assumed that it is the release of energy from a dying creature - not the actual blood - that helps add to the 'magic' of a ritual. The LaVeyan ritualist considers the same energies, only released during orgasm or pleasure from other personal indulgence to be superior.

It is only Theistic Satanists who use animals in this way.

Sandra Craft

These are the Eleven Satanic Rules of Earth: (etc.)
And these are the Nine Satanic Statements: (etc.)

Honestly, this seems to me no different than most religions -- a lot of guesswork that could easily go wrong, and invitations to over-react to minor issues.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Ali

Quote from: Scissorlegs on May 07, 2012, 09:02:33 AM

Why bemused? It's fairly clearly and concisely defined above, and the Satanic Bible which expands on these is less than 100 pages long and reads like a jargon-free essay, without pomp or condescension.

I've come to the conclusion that it's perhaps easier for me than most to align myself because I'm naturally free of the burden of indiscriminate compassion (or sometimes any compassion at all). You may call that a failure, I see it as a liberator. Is that selfish? Only if I allow it to manifest itself so - that is my choice and my prerogative to so decide. You may judge me by my actions, and that is your prerogative. Satanism allows plenty of room for good deeds and charity - in fact the 'Church' has charity committees which work to provide help for the deserving - those who are in unfortunate positions through no fault of their own AND WHO ARE WILLING TO HELP THEMSELVES.

It's the magic part I'm still hung up on.  If they don't actually believe in "magic" then why would they spend the energy doing rituals to perpetrate "manipulation and deception?"  Who are they manipulating and decieving?  From that statement, if I was forced to speculate, I would assume that it's to induce fear in the credulous.  Which I admit I don't have a lot of respect for.  Lying to basically bully someone isn't something I'm really in to.

As for the rules and statements, they don't bother me.  Some of them I agree with, some of them I disagree with, but meh.  I don't need to agree with Satanists any more than I need to agree with Christians.  I guess at the bottom of it, I just really don't understand the point of it all, if they don't actually believe in a deity.  The glorious thing about being an atheist is freeing yourself from dogma.  I don't really understand why one would bother to throw off one religious dogma only to embrace another, but to each his own. 

And come on, you can NOT tell me that you typed out the words "lair" and "the mating signal" with a straight face.   ;D  "Step into my lair.  Consider this your mating signal.  Rawr."  ;D

The Magic Pudding

I thought it was a marketing thing, a way for an old bald guy to attract young women/persons.
You get Robert Plant and Jimmy Page on side and your laughing.