News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

End of days guest.

Started by Amicale, May 06, 2012, 02:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2012, 04:27:08 PM
Quote from: Ali
If that's the case, if I were her, I wouldn't take him out in public anymore.
What would you do? Chain him up in the cellar?

*Eyes glow with an eery light* Yes.  Next to all the others. *strange smile*

No, but I probably wouldn't invite him along to hang out with my friends, especially if I was aware that they belonged to some of the groups that he would rail against (for example, this guy was apparently saying hateful things about homosexuals in Amicale's hearing and home!  The gall!!!!)  Then again, I wouldn't be with someone like that.

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2012, 04:38:25 PM
Quote from: Amicale on May 06, 2012, 04:36:21 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2012, 04:32:57 PM
Quote from: Amicale on May 06, 2012, 04:30:35 PM
Well, sometimes she convinces him to stay home. Convincing him of this is often easy, all she needs to do is put on a fresh pot of coffee, give him some popcorn, and sit him in front of his DVR to watch a pre-recorded sports game or bunch of shows and often he prefers to stay home. I think it was the invitation over for seafood lasagna that enticed him.  :D

It's funny, they're both fundies, they both believe that stuff, but only he spouts off about it. Last night I was more ticked than anything that he was a guest in our home, and was basically suggesting if we didn't believe the way he did, we'd be deluded and susceptible to the anti-Christ. ::)
He was obviously completely oblivious to the fact that you are the Antichrist  ;D

Sssshhhh! It's best I be undercover for now!  ;D
Can I get under the covers with you?  ;)

Climb on in, we'll make the neighbors talk!  :D

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Ali on May 06, 2012, 04:40:25 PM
Quote from: Tank on May 06, 2012, 04:27:08 PM
Quote from: Ali
If that's the case, if I were her, I wouldn't take him out in public anymore.
What would you do? Chain him up in the cellar?

*Eyes glow with an eery light* Yes.  Next to all the others. *strange smile*

:D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

ThinkAnarchy

I have kicked people out of my house for things like that before. If you can't refrain from spouting ignorance in my home, you aren't welcome. Typically I don't care if people want to discuss a sensitive topic, but when they get insulting or aggressive, they get the boot. One of my wife's friends got a temporary ban for not being able to discuss religion in a civil manner. I had to explain to my wife that I have never hit a woman and don't want to start now; if she can't even feign respect in my own home, she isn't welcome. The ban was eventually lifted and I haven't had serious problems with her since.

Since he was exposing your child to something you would rather her not be exposed to, I would politely tell him to shut the fuck up or get out. Something like, "Shut up about your doomsday prophesies in front my child or get the fuck out." I think that is nice enough.  :D

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Amicale

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 06, 2012, 11:41:28 PM
I have kicked people out of my house for things like that before. If you can't refrain from spouting ignorance in my home, you aren't welcome. Typically I don't care if people want to discuss a sensitive topic, but when they get insulting or aggressive, they get the boot. One of my wife's friends got a temporary ban for not being able to discuss religion in a civil manner. I had to explain to my wife that I have never hit a woman and don't want to start now; if she can't even feign respect in my own home, she isn't welcome. The ban was eventually lifted and I haven't had serious problems with her since.

Since he was exposing your child to something you would rather her not be exposed to, I would politely tell him to shut the fuck up or get out. Something like, "Shut up about your doomsday prophesies in front my child or get the fuck out." I think that is nice enough.  :D

Well, there's the problem right there -- It isn't my house, and he isn't my friend, so I don't really have the right to ask or tell anyone to leave. Luckily, he eventually managed to settle down after. I think he sensed that his opinions were causing him to tread on some rather thin ice. I know I would have been well within my rights to ask him to change the subject, to outright disagree with him or to argue with him.... but with him, it's kinda like waiting out a bad storm. Once it blows over, it's done and he's good for a while.  :P

Last night, we just blamed it on the very large moon.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Amicale on May 07, 2012, 12:49:08 AM

That was a very large moon.  :o Maybe his body water was acting funny...

;)
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Amicale on May 07, 2012, 12:49:08 AM
Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on May 06, 2012, 11:41:28 PM

Well, there's the problem right there -- It isn't my house, and he isn't my friend, so I don't really have the right to ask or tell anyone to leave. Luckily, he eventually managed to settle down after. I think he sensed that his opinions were causing him to tread on some rather thin ice. I know I would have been well within my rights to ask him to change the subject, to outright disagree with him or to argue with him.... but with him, it's kinda like waiting out a bad storm. Once it blows over, it's done and he's good for a while.  :P

I see, I must have misread. I thought he and his wife came over to your house for dinner. Sometimes I wonder how I got a 31 in reading comprehension on the ACT.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Ecurb Noselrub

Where is everyone getting these new avatars? What am I missing?

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 07, 2012, 03:19:44 AM

Check out Tank's Mr Men thread in the Laid Back Lounge.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Ecurb Noselrub

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on May 07, 2012, 03:53:35 AM
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on May 07, 2012, 03:19:44 AM

Check out Tank's Mr Men thread in the Laid Back Lounge.

OK, thanks.

technolud

It is my understanding that people have been predicting the imminent return of Christ since shortly after his death.  Folks alive at that time believed he would return during thier lifetimes, and then a new group every decade or so.  You might point out to your not-friend that the one thing all these people had in common was that they were wrong. 

OldGit

If Jesus comes back, he'll need an avatar.  Maybe we should get one ready for him.

Crow

I feel sorry for you Amicale (well I don't really as I am sure you can deal with his BS). Why is it people do not view St Paul in the same light as the fellow mentioned or your everyday high street doomsday preacher?
Retired member.

Amicale

Quote from: Crow on May 09, 2012, 02:20:57 PM
I feel sorry for you Amicale (well I don't really as I am sure you can deal with his BS). Why is it people do not view St Paul in the same light as the fellow mentioned or your everyday high street doomsday preacher?

Good question. Many people seem to have respect for St. Paul, whereas I never personally cared for his style of writing all that much, with the possible exception of a few interesting or pretty passages.

As for the guy who was over here... yup, I can handle him, no problem. At the time when he was over, I wasn't very happy, but when my daughter later referred to him as "the crazy yelling man", I laughed.  ;D

Gawen

I'm not understanding. In your very first sentence you say:
QuoteI have an end-of-the-world doomsday end-times'er currently visiting my home.

Then you say it wasn't your home....?
The essence of the mind is not in what it thinks, but how it thinks. Faith is the surrender of our mind; of reason and our skepticism to put all our trust or faith in someone or something that has no good evidence of itself. That is a sinister thing to me. Of all the supposed virtues, faith is not.
"When you fall, I will be there" - Floor