News:

Look, I haven't mentioned Zeus, Buddah, or some religion.

Main Menu

Holograms Playing Fesivals?

Started by not your typical..., April 25, 2012, 08:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

not your typical...

Ok, so at the Coachella music festival this year, Tupac made his grand re-appearance on stage.... As a hologram. Though that show was a success and many enjoyed it, is it really something that should become a habbit? Having people come back from the dead to do a few more concerts? And then what? Should it just stop at the deceased, or can some of the living evade their live appearances due to their possession of a computer-generated clone of themselves? How far is too far with that kind of technology?
"Accepting the truth and keeping faith is a strong thing to do. Mixing the two however, is the dumbest thing you've ever attempted." - Radical Ostriches Bringing Eternal Requiem Tonight
Advocate for the abnormal.

Crow

I don't really have an opinion on the matter as its about creating an experience and its going to excite some people and not others. I think using dead people is a bit of a cop-out the technology has so much potential and my last thought would be to use a dead guy. Personally I would like to see 100 foot holographic dinosaurs, monsters, spaceships and just mental surreal crazy effects.
Retired member.

Tank

Like all tech there are ways it could be useful and ways it could be abused. Personally I think it's main thing atm is novelty. If it's used in the long term the only real issue is that the show description is valid ie 'performance will be live via hologram' so the customer knows what they are getting.  
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

DeterminedJuliet

Personally? I probably wouldn't see a hologram show. But whatever floats your boat.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: Crow on April 25, 2012, 08:41:13 PM
I don't really have an opinion on the matter as its about creating an experience and its going to excite some people and not others. I think using dead people is a bit of a cop-out the technology has so much potential and my last thought would be to use a dead guy. Personally I would like to see 100 foot holographic dinosaurs, monsters, spaceships and just mental surreal crazy effects.
I'd pay to see that too.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

ThinkAnarchy

The thing that disappointed me about that TuPac performance is that he was lip syncing. I mean seriously, it's TuPac, not Britney Spears, I figured he was better than that.

I voted "Only if their dead." But I doubt I would actually attend the concert now that I think about it. I'm not that big a fan of concerts with living breathing musicians.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Stevil

Arnold made a great appearance in the last Terminator movie.

Won't be long, when real actors become redundant, possibly the same thing for singers, get their vocal traits duplicated and then write songs in their style.
Could be quite exciting for some Sinatra, Elvis fans etc. Obviously many people won't like it, but they don't have to buy the new works.

Buddy

What I would like to see is a Jurassic Park style attractions with full size dinosaurs.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 25, 2012, 10:12:37 PM
What I would like to see is a Jurassic Park style attractions with full size dinosaurs.
I've seen a full size anamatronic T-Rex which was very impressive but I'd like see a full size sauropod.

Ali

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 25, 2012, 09:34:05 PM
The thing that disappointed me about that TuPac performance is that he was lip syncing. I mean seriously, it's TuPac, not Britney Spears, I figured he was better than that.

LOL  You are being sarcastic, right?  Since he's dead?

Squid

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Ali on May 08, 2012, 04:50:31 PM
Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 25, 2012, 09:34:05 PM

LOL  You are being sarcastic, right?  Since he's dead?

It was indeed sarcasm.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.