News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Atheist Proselytizers

Started by myleviathan, December 05, 2007, 06:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitter_sweet_symphony

I'll have to support these guys. I don't see what's wrong in yelling "jesus is dead" and distributing pamphlets. If it is okay to hold processions about global warming and stuff, what's wrong in this one? Don't rallies about global warming hurt the sentiments of those who believe that global warming is a natural cycle?

Atheists believe Jesus is dead and won't come back(if he ever lived). Why should distributing pamphlets about this be considered radical? I know that this will not cause any Christian to give up his beliefs and is probably not a good strategy in spreading the message of atheism (couldn't find a better phrase), but I don' think it is wrong or radical to do this. I may be wrong, of course.

It is my observation that atheists are trying too hard to create a "positive" image before the theists. IMHO, it will be too much to expect that all atheists be non violent, peaceful and non aggressive. These traits are inherent to a person's nature and not his/her faith or lack of it. Every atheist isn't responsible for what one individual atheist does.

shoruke

What REALLY sucks is that atheists like that are the only kind that some religious people ever see. Then the religious people assume that all atheists are radicals... and the rest of us get butchered. I think that everyone should be judged based on their individual actions and...

YOU MOFO STREET-CORNER ATHEISTS
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

ryanvc76

I don't think that yelling from a street corner is the way to go about things.  However, I do think that non-believers need to stop hiding in the shadows.  The idea that one must be a "god-fearing" citizen is so deeply planted in the American society that it is quite disturbing.  

In the 1940s and 1950s, McCarthyism had everyone so scared that nobody had the balls to say anything when religious crap was added to our national pledge and our currency.  Conservative Christians took advantage of this and convinced the entire nation that communism and atheism go hand in hand.

Now, instead of hunting communists, we're hunting terrorists.  Once again, who are the bad people?  It's those who do not worship the Christian god.  No, they don't blame it all on atheists; they're focusing on the Muslims.  Nonetheless, the fundies are using it to gather all of the myth-believers.  

Are we experiencing something similar to McCarthyism all over again? Only time will tell.  I am afraid to see what the Christian fundies will get away with this time around.
---=---=---=---=---
http://www.vancleave.de
---=---=---=---
"[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies." - Mark Twain

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

---=---

antares

I hardly think it's fair to call Dawkins the equivilent of the street proseliyizers, shouting in everyones face. He deserves more respect than that. The article you linked is rational and intelligent, even if he is tilting at windmils.
Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day.
 - Bertrand Russell

Justice

The advent of atheist proselytizers merely reinforces the misconception that atheism is a religion. It would have been more sensible and productive if they were promoting Separation of Church/State or Secular Humanism or even Wicca. The last thing we need is to present atheism as the inverse of Christianity.

bitter_sweet_symphony

QuoteThe advent of atheist proselytizers merely reinforces the misconception that atheism is a religion. It would have been more sensible and productive if they were promoting Separation of Church/State or Secular Humanism or even Wicca. The last thing we need is to present atheism as the inverse of Christianity.

Could you please elaborate a little? I can't understand why some people here think this is such a negative thing. Why do you think that would it have been more productive if they were promoting Wicca? What's different between people shouting on the streets about animal rights and those promoting atheism? A little knowledge about atheism makes it clear that it isn't a religion and what has distributing pamphlets on the streets got to do with presenting atheism as inverse of Christianity?  
 :?  :?  :?  :?

Justice

Telling religious people that "Jesus is dead" and proselytizing on street corners is very aggressive behavior. In addition, it is not a promotion of atheism so much as an attack on Jesus believers. I think taking a negative, aggressive stance is harmful because most people already perceive atheists as heartless intellectuals.

Now if someone were to set up a table and quietly hand out non-tracts or promote their alternative to religion (such as Secular Humanism, Wicca, et al.), I would have no complaint. To me, that seems the more positive and productive approach.

myleviathan

QuoteThe advent of atheist proselytizers merely reinforces the misconception that atheism is a religion.

I agree. It's a widespread idea in religious circles that atheism is just another religion. It's not. It's just rationalism. I think it's a good idea to be open about atheism with people you encounter, but to yell it on street corners is sinking to a whole new low.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

bitter_sweet_symphony

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I am being a bit dense here, but I still don't quite get it. Forgive me if I misunderstood, but are you saying that saying Jesus is dead is aggressive, but promoting Wicca is fine? What's the difference? Either way it's saying that Christians have got it all wrong.

Most of us <b>do</b> believe that Jesus, no longer exists. Forget roadsides, maybe atheists should stop publishing articles against Christianity on the net and in the mass media, in order to not offend the Christians.

For me, atheism <b>is</b> an alternative to religion. To me, wicca doesn't seems to be very much a type of religion. Secular humanism seems cool, though.

Yes, people have wrong perceptions about atheists, but I can't see how the above incident can make it any worse. Most religious people dislike atheists cause  we don't follow their brand of religion. It won't make much of a difference to them if we say it publicly or we don't. The attitude is "I don't trust you cause you don't believe in Allah/Jesus/Shiva" and not "I don't trust you cause you said so on the roadside."

myleviathan

QuoteForget roadsides, maybe atheists should stop publishing articles against Christianity on the net and in the mass media, in order to not offend the Christians.

I am so thankful for atheists publishing content on the net. I might still be bashing my head on the church pew wondering what the hell is wrong with me. But I never would have listened to anyone on a street corner. My assent to rationalism was based on learning and research. I'm sure others would agree.

Although I can't say I've ever really heard anything about atheism in the mass media such as TV or Radio. The conservatives have way too much pull there.
"On the moon our weekends are so far advanced they encompass the entire week. Jobs have been phased out. We get checks from the government, and we spend it on beer! Mexican beer! That's the cheapest of all beers." --- Ignignokt & Err

ryanvc76

Quote from: "bitter_sweet_symphony"Most religious people dislike atheists cause  we don't follow their brand of religion.

The religious people will all say that they dislike atheists, simply because that's what they are told to do.  On a personal level, when you meet one to one, it's different.  Wait until the person gets to know you for a while, then toss the fact that you're atheist out there.  They get confused - "the church says atheists are bad, but you don't seem like a bad person".

For most of them, it's not because we don't believe their fairytales.  They dislike us because the church has seem thinking we're the devil.  It is similar to kids that grow up with extremely racist parents and then as adults meet people of other races for the first time.
---=---=---=---=---
http://www.vancleave.de
---=---=---=---
"[The Bible] has noble poetry in it... and some good morals and a wealth of obscenity, and upwards of a thousand lies." - Mark Twain

"Religions are all alike - founded upon fables and mythologies." - Thomas Jefferson

---=---

myleviathan

QuoteAlthough I can't say I've ever really heard anything about atheism in the mass media such as TV or Radio. The conservatives have way too much pull there.

I take that back! There were two South Park episodes I can think of that dealt with atheism. The first was the episode when all the Catholic priests were abusing the children so the parents in South Park all converted to atheism (and shit out their mouths, because Cartman proved it could be done, if you recall).

The other had something to do with a future where everyone was an atheist, and they had the same problems that Christians do today. I also remember something about beavers flying ships. But I might have been a little 'under the influence' while watching it, so I don't remember much.

Either way - atheist representation on television is next to null.

SteveS

Quote from: "myleviathan"Either way - atheist representation on television is next to null.
Personally I get a big kick out of "House".

myleviathan

Yes, yes.... House does have some sarcastic and atheistic comments... Quite enjoyable. I remember the episode with the Cuban refugees: the wife was a believer and the husband was an atheist. They bailed out of Cuba with the single intent of seeing Dr. House. The husband finally prays as a last resort and it seems to have worked.... But they find some subsequent problem that the Dr. has to fix. God is wrong and House is right. I love it.