News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

New to the forum!

Started by tchurch, April 25, 2012, 08:17:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy

For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Amicale

Quote from: Tank on April 25, 2012, 09:37:53 AM
Quote from: The Magic Pudding on April 25, 2012, 09:30:32 AM
Quote from: Tank on April 25, 2012, 08:22:28 AM
We have Canadians here and lesbians. Now we have a Canadian lesbian! Is there no end to the 'win'!!!  ;D

I thought we already had one.
I recommend fish oil tablets and vitamin B, particularly if imbibing alcohol.
This may not solve your problems but at least you'll know (if you make a note of it) you tried to slow the inevitable decline.

Welcome tchurch, our current two Canadians are particularly nice, or at least they pretend to be....  

Amicale?

That would indeed be me.  ;D

Torie, a warm welcome to you! When you say Canada's bible belt, I'd have to guess Alberta too. Are we right?

At any rate, I'm very glad to meet you, and I'm looking forward to speaking with you! :)

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

tchurch

Hey again! Sorry I haven't been on in a couple days to reply to everyone. I am actually from a little town in BC. I suppose it's more like a Bible Bubble than a Bible Belt because it seems to be isolated to a couple cities and towns (Chilliwack is a great example). However, I'm not too far from some pretty nice places like Vancouver so I can't complain too much. Alberta is on a level I want to stay away from; they have creation museums.  :'(

There are two professors I know of who are creationists; one is an English prof and the other Chemistry. I feel that the Chemistry one is a bit more worrisome as he should probably know a bit more about the scientific method than he apparently does. I just hope he isn't young Earth creationist because someone with a Ph.D in Chemistry should know about radiometric dating!

Recusant

Thank you for answering my question regarding the fields of the Creationist professors.  :)

Quote from: tchurch on April 28, 2012, 10:23:21 AM. . . someone with a Ph.D in Chemistry should know about radiometric dating!

Knowing about radiometric dating doesn't stop Young Earth Creationists. There's a fellow in Australia with degrees in geology (Dr. Andrew Snelling) who is one of the more prominent deniers of the validity of radiometric dating. You can see some of his work at Answers in Genesis. There's a good article by a gentleman with degrees in geology and physics (who also happens to be a Christian) which answers many of the issues raised by people like Snelling: "Radiometric Dating: A Christian Perspective". I wanted to answer you here, tchurch, but this really isn't the section of the forum to discuss it. If you would like to look into it and talk about it in any depth, you need to have at least 10 posts, then you could start a new thread in the "Creationism/Intelligent Design" section.
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asmodean

Quote from: tchurch on April 28, 2012, 10:23:21 AM
I just hope he isn't young Earth creationist because someone with a Ph.D in Chemistry should know about radiometric dating!
Chemistry is a wide enough field of science for someone to be able to take multiple Ph.ds without ever touching the subject of radiometry.

On the other hand, people who do not acept the scientific method should not teach.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Siz

Quote from: Asmodean on April 29, 2012, 10:25:39 AM
On the other hand, people who do not acept the scientific method should not teach.

...As long as it's not applied to the exclusion of other styles. If we want well-rounded, creative, freethinking individuals we need a variety of teachers and teaching styles.

Hello, tchurch! (am I allowed to capitalise the 'T'? I feel so uncomfortable addressing an improper noun!  :D)

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Asmodean

Yes, well... I was refering to teaching the exact sciences. Understanding and use of the scientific method would likely be too much to ask of a language or history teacher.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

I had NO IDEA there were any bible belts in canada...

Anyway, welcome. We are a friendly bunch!!
Hope you stick around. :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

I have a family member living in the Chilliwack BC area, and from what I've heard, it's a very conservative (both small and large C, really) area, with lots of churches and creationism and whatnot. On the other hand, because it's British Columbia and BC is generally more easygoing than other provinces, it may be conservative in some ways, but in others, it's kinda liberal/hippie... a lot of people living off the land, community vegetable gardens/co-ops, female pastors in several churches, etc. It's an interesting mix.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

Sweetdeath

Why would anyone want to be a pastor? dont get that.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

OldGit

Quote from: AsmoUnderstanding and use of the scientific method would likely be too much to ask of a language or history teacher.

Hey, I'm a language teacher and I understand the general idea of the method, though I couldn't teach a science.

In some areas of linguistics we make testable hypotheses to cover methodically gathered data. Admittedly such results can't be as rigorous as, say, lab data in physics - still, we do our best.

Amicale

Quote from: OldGit on April 29, 2012, 06:11:44 PM
Quote from: AsmoUnderstanding and use of the scientific method would likely be too much to ask of a language or history teacher.

Hey, I'm a language teacher and I understand the general idea of the method, though I couldn't teach a science.

In some areas of linguistics we make testable hypotheses to cover methodically gathered data. Admittedly such results can't be as rigorous as, say, lab data in physics - still, we do our best.

This. :) I'm also a language teacher (as well as being qualified as a history teacher, ha) and I believe I understand the scientific method just fine. It's more that in my day to day work, I don't use it regularly. I use it indirectly when testing a certain method to see if it has any effect on a student's comprehension/understanding, though.

Tank

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 29, 2012, 06:09:53 PM
Why would anyone want to be a pastor? dont get that.
They're just a theistic teacher and general community do-gooder. Nothing wrong with that from a theists point of view.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

Never realized Canada had a Bible belt/bubble/anything either. Shatters my generalized views of it just being a friendly, godless place with universal healthcare :)
Welcome!
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Hector Valdez

I would say welcome, and indeed I shall. Except, it has been such a long time since I have welcomed a person into my life. I am nervous. What should I say? What should I do? It is, as has been said, exasperating. Ah, hell with it, I hope you enjoy conversations of a philosophical and perteurbial nature.

I have always thought that Canada would be a lovely place to go visit, if only it were not so damned cold. But please, tell me, just how far north does civilization extend up there? I have heard that there are settlements on the northern tip of Alaska, though I hesitate to believe such ball-crockery.

Welcome to the Pub, Mate.