News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Media setting - Did you know HAF is into the occult?

Started by Amicale, April 23, 2012, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amicale

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 23, 2012, 10:56:52 PM
I'm sure our continued mention of the occult is not helping the argument. ;) I'm sure their thorough investigation consisted of a few bots scanning the site for key words.

I'm also curious what they use to determine "alternate spirituality." Is Buddhism an alternative that is blocked? Alternative to what kind of spirituality exactly?

Here's their definition:

How in the hell are atheistic views 'alternative spirituality'???

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

ThinkAnarchy

^^^ That is laughable. They mention atheism by name, but than go on to describe these types of sites by, "...offer instruction, or other resources to affect or influence real events through the use of spells, incantations, curses and magic powers." I want super powers, sign me up.

And "paranormal and unexplained events." That right there means every religious site, including Christian ones should be included in this category.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Amicale

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 23, 2012, 11:15:44 PM
^^^ That is laughable. Them mention atheism by name, but than go on to describe these types of sites by, "...offer instruction, or other resources to affect or influence real events through the use of spells, incantations, curses and magic powers."

And "paranormal and unexplained events." That right there means every religious site should be included in this category.

I do believe I'll be uninstalling this POS.

More trouble than it's worth, and very, very clearly a Christian programming effort. I checked several religious websites, and of course, those can be accessed. It's true that I could use the service at the minimal or custom level, but it's the principle of the thing. Any company idiotic enough to blacklist freethinker websites because they deem them to be 'alternative spirituality or occult' isn't a company I particularly want to use.

Not to mention they make it an option to block anything to do with alternative sexual orientations, including getting simple access to information on what 'gay' or 'lesbian' even mean. (this is at the highest restriction level, but still.)

*wanders off in search of something more reasonable*

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Amicale on April 23, 2012, 11:10:27 PM
I'm sure our continued mention of the occult is not helping the argument. ;) I'm sure their thorough investigation consisted of a few bots scanning the site for key words.

I'm also curious what they use to determine "alternate spirituality." Is Buddhism an alternative that is blocked? Alternative to what kind of spirituality exactly?

Here's their definition:

Or "other forms of mysticism"? WTF?! Atheism is a form of mysticism now? Since when?!?!
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Whitney

I think there is a certain web blocking service that will never get by business and that's not just an idle boycott as I will have to make web blocking software decisions in the not so distant future for work.

Asmodean

About time The Asmo coded a nice webblock, yes?  :D

Now, how would His Grayness define religious views other than none, mewonder..?  ???
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on April 23, 2012, 11:39:15 PM
Quote from: Amicale on April 23, 2012, 11:10:27 PM

Here's their definition:

Or "other forms of mysticism"? WTF?! Atheism is a form of mysticism now? Since when?!?!

Wow! We're mystics now? Cool!  8)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

Quote from: Whitney on April 24, 2012, 02:23:43 AM
I think there is a certain web blocking service that will never get by business and that's not just an idle boycott as I will have to make web blocking software decisions in the not so distant future for work.

should that read "get my business" ?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

xSilverPhinx

Wow, funnily enough if there's one thing that suits 'occult' better it's Christianity or any other form of theism. ???

I think what they really want to say is that we're devil-worshippers. ::)

How cool is that?  8)

I'm not familiar with this blocking service, but...meh.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

Amicale

Quote from: xSilverPhinx on April 24, 2012, 04:24:34 PM
Wow, funnily enough if there's one thing that suits 'occult' better it's Christianity or any other form of theism. ???

I think what they really want to say is that we're devil-worshippers. ::)

How cool is that?  8)

I'm not familiar with this blocking service, but...meh.

:D I'm not familiar with it any more, either. It's gone. I broke up with it and booted its behind out the door into webblocking hell.

Sorry, in a bizarre mood I guess.  ;D

DeterminedJuliet

I also like how it talks about spells and magic as though they are real-world concerns. Obviously a huge Christian slant to this policy..  ::)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

I just sent them a site review of HAF, asking them to re-categorize it as a newsgroup/webforum only, and to remove the references to alternative spirituality or the occult. I said:

Happy Atheist Forum is a newsgroup or forum only. It is in NO way associated with alternative spirituality or the occult. :) Atheism is an alternative TO spirituality, but lacking a belief in God means that we are not spiritual people, and we are not in any way interested in the occult. Please re-classify this website as a Newsgroup/Forum only. I'm a member at HAF, and I don't want to see young people seeking information (perhaps because they are losing their faith and need support) be inadvertently blocked from Happy Atheist Forum.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Amicale on April 24, 2012, 05:09:58 PM
I just sent them a site review of HAF, asking them to re-categorize it as a newsgroup/webforum only, and to remove the references to alternative spirituality or the occult. I said:

Happy Atheist Forum is a newsgroup or forum only. It is in NO way associated with alternative spirituality or the occult. :) Atheism is an alternative TO spirituality, but lacking a belief in God means that we are not spiritual people, and we are not in any way interested in the occult. Please re-classify this website as a Newsgroup/Forum only. I'm a member at HAF, and I don't want to see young people seeking information (perhaps because they are losing their faith and need support) be inadvertently blocked from Happy Atheist Forum.

I'm not motivated enough, nor do I have the connections, but it would be nice to get a somewhat organized campaign going with other atheist forums and sites. I'm sure Dawkins site is blocked as well, but I don't have the program to check that.

They are going to have to change their definition before they will take the occult/alt spiritual label off these sites.

The thing that pisses me off about this, is K-9, from my understanding, is the program most schools use to keep their students from seeing things they shouldn't. Preventing them from seeing legitimate alternative views seems unacceptable in a school environment.

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Amicale

I agree, I have a huge issue with these types of sites being blocked in schools, etc.

In response to what I sent them, their answer was:

QuoteSubmitted URL:        http://www.happyatheistforum.com/
Suggested category:        Newsgroups/Forums
Your comments:        Happy Atheist Forum is a newsgroup or forum only. It is in NO way associated with alternative spirituality or the occult. :) Atheism is an alternative TO spirituality, but lacking a belief in God means that we are not spiritual people, and we are not in any way interested in the occult. Please re-classify this website as a Newsgroup/Forum only. I'm a member at HAF, and I don't want to see young people seeking information (perhaps because they are losing their faith and need support) be inadvertently blocked from Happy Atheist Forum.
Reviewed:        April 24, 2012 4:12:47 PM GMT

Thanks for submitting http://www.happyatheistforum.com/ to the Blue Coat WebFilter team for review. We appreciate the opportunity to provide the results of our analysis with you.

After careful evaluation of the Web content submitted, a Web Content Analyst has left this URL categorized as Alternative Spirituality/Occult and Newsgroups/Forums.

Sites that contain information on atheism fall under our Alternative Spirituality/Belief category. Forums where the main topic is atheism fall under our Alternative Spirituality/Belief and Newsgroups/Forums categories. If you need access to this site, please contact the person who installed K9.

Blue Coat does not select which category or categories are blocked or allowed. This decision is controlled by policy defined by our customers. If you feel that a certain category or site should be either blocked or allowed, click here to find out more about how to change your Internet access policy.

If you have any other questions that should be directed to the Blue Coat WebFilter team, feel free to reply to this message.

Thank you,

Blue Coat WebFilter

So, their argument is that because THEY aren't the ones choosing which categories are blocked or allowed, and it's a customer choice, then the definition is staying as it is. That honestly bugs me. Atheism or any other secular view shouldn't be lumped in with spirituality and CERTAINLY not with the occult, in the first place. I'm sure those who are spiritual or into the occult wouldn't want us lumped in with them, either.

Also, I think it's kind of sneaky, in a way. The average parent looking to protect their child or teenager on the internet probably isn't going to read the fine print of each little definition -- they might select 'alternative spirituality/occult' to block it because they don't want their kids reading occult stuff, but they might not know atheism is for some strange reason tossed in there, too.

Well, I don't see these people changing their policies anytime soon. Sigh.

ThinkAnarchy

^^^

Not at all surprising you received the same form letter as Tank.  :)