"We're praying for you!"

Started by Dobermonster, April 17, 2012, 09:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandra Craft

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 21, 2012, 10:26:56 PM
Quote from: history_geek on April 21, 2012, 09:22:20 PM
Quote from: Recusant on April 21, 2012, 12:54:04 AMl'esprit de l'escalier

The story of my life....

Indeed. My witty retorts always come to me in the shower.

Mine wake me up at about 3 a.m., when the only person I can tell them to is the cat.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Magdalena

Quote from: Dobermonster on April 17, 2012, 09:43:18 PM
I thought I had this issue pretty well down - I don't normally take offense if I'm unwell and someone tells me they'll pray for me. To me it just means they're thinking about me and want to do something that feels like helping. I just say 'thank you' and smile in return. Now . . . when these particular people *know* you're an atheist, and feel compelled to end every conversation with "I'll be praying for you!", well, it just started to get on my nerves a bit. Especially when they send their pastor by to also pray for you . . . twice . . . and give you scripture verses . . . honestly I was gritting my teeth and forcing a smile by the end of it, mostly to concentrate on something other than saying something I might regret. What's a polite but firm way to deflect this kind of thing?

I know how to deflect this kind of thing:
The next time their pastor comes by to pray for you, open the door, stare at him and throw up some pea soup on the floor then, force a smile and say, "I know you've been praying for me, won't you come in?" No disrespectful words are being used, in fact, you are being polite, little under the weather, but polite. After this, he will pray for you, but from far away.  ;)
I think I will try this next time the Jehovah's witness come to my door. 

"I've had several "spiritual" or numinous experiences over the years, but never felt that they were the product of anything but the workings of my own mind in reaction to the universe." ~Recusant

Sweetdeath

I hope this isn't off topic, because i figured it goes with the whole "we're praying for you" thread.
But , by Thor's hammer, I AM DAMN SICK AND DAMN TIRED OF PEOPLE BLESSING ME.
No, i don't mean  after a sneeze, cuz it is some people's auto reflexes.
I mean, fucking smelly old religious people saying "well, god bless you. You are so fortunate for bleh bleh yippity yip yip..."
I have been "god blessed" three times this week. I know it may seem small on scale, but it is beginning to piss me off!
Like... They dont know a thing about my life. Shut up. Why do they feel the need to ask god to bless me? If they really thought the fairy king ass wipe was real, wouldnt he/she/it bless me already without their need?
I know it sounds soooo crazy, but i  am just sick and tired of being god blessed.
Argh. Sorry for random rant! :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Hector Valdez

I've been annoyed for a while now. But I am at a loss to do something about it. I want to say, "You know how offensive that is, right?" But I can never seem to get that level of strength. :(

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Sweetdeathfucking smelly old religious [person]...

Is this him/her?

;)

Asmodean

Someone ought to key that Bentley  :D
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Dobermonster

Quote from: Asmodean on April 23, 2012, 09:41:36 PM
Someone ought to key that Bentley  :D

Wonder if the driver has actually ever read the bible. More specifically, the part where Jesus says that it's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich person to enter the kingdom of heaven. Then again, I think it'd be more likely that said rich person would experiment with a camel, a needle, and a blender than give away his wealth.

DeterminedJuliet

If you're going to have a religious license plate, I prefer this one:

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Sweetdeath

LOL!!
J is lord is hilarious.
There is a guitarist from a well known japanese rock band called Luna Sea named J. I'm sure he would be amused by this.

Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Siz

To me, that read "Jis Lord". Now, 'Jizz' in the UK is slang for semen.
I congratulate the fella (or woman?) driving... :D

When one sleeps on the floor one need not worry about falling out of bed - Anton LaVey

The universe is a cold, uncaring void. The key to happiness isn't a search for meaning, it's to just keep yourself busy with unimportant nonsense, and eventually you'll be dead!

Jimmy

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 23, 2012, 10:35:54 PM

LMFAO!!! Jis Lord...BAAHAAAHAA
For if there be no Prospect beyond the Grave, the inference is certainly right, Let us eat and drink, les us enjoy what we delight in, for to morrow we shall die.   ~John Locke~

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Scissorlegs on April 23, 2012, 10:35:54 PM

Asmodean

It's a Jaguar. What that plate means, is obviously "Jag is king"
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

ThinkAnarchy

Quote from: Asmodean on April 24, 2012, 06:39:52 AM
It's a Jaguar. What that plate means, is obviously "Jag is king"

I would be willing to debate you on that one. I read it as "Jizz Lord" or "Lord of Jizz." Immature? Yes. Do I care? No.
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.