News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

"We're praying for you!"

Started by Dobermonster, April 17, 2012, 09:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dobermonster

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 20, 2012, 02:00:32 AM
Quote from: Dobermonster on April 20, 2012, 01:08:24 AM
It does seem to create an awkward situation . . . like when the pastor told me 'God bless you' a couple times. I know if I were a Christian, the response would be to say 'God bless you' back, but all I had to really say was, "Uh huh".

I think "thank you" works as a response here, since he's essentially wishing you well.  Maybe it would depend on how well you and the pastor knew each other -- would he respond well to a wish that he be touched by a noodly appendage?  Or maybe you could just say "ramen!" and let let the other person puzzle it out.

I did say thank you the first time, and then he said it again in a way that was sort of expecting something more, which just got a 'uh huh' and a smile, and then he left. He's an old friend of my parents, a kindly elderly man, so I didn't really feel like telling him I was an atheist . . . maybe because it felt like I would be hurting his feelings, or that by telling him I was being dismissive of his visit? Morphine kind of makes everything a little fuzzy. ;)

Buddy

Quote from: Dobermonster on April 20, 2012, 02:23:41 AM

I did say thank you the first time, and then he said it again in a way that was sort of expecting something more, which just got a 'uh huh' and a smile, and then he left. He's an old friend of my parents, a kindly elderly man, so I didn't really feel like telling him I was an atheist . . . maybe because it felt like I would be hurting his feelings, or that by telling him I was being dismissive of his visit? Morphine kind of makes everything a little fuzzy. ;)

Drugs are bad, m'kay?  ;)
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Hector Valdez

I usually just say "uh-huh", though I am a firm believer in telling people that that is offensive. Just be polite about it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Dobermonster on April 20, 2012, 02:23:41 AM

Hmmm, I think I would have gone ahead and told him I was an atheist.  It does seem like he was looking for a definitive response and an explanation is better than nothing.  I don't think it would have hurt his feelings if it was said in a friendly way -- just providing information so he didn't go away thinking you didn't like him, or whatever.     
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Beachdragon

Years ago at Dragoncon (an enormous Science fiction and media convention in Atlanta every year) there was an overlap between exiting conventioners in for a religious convention and incoming Dragoncon patrons.  In this particular instance some of each met in the elevator.  One set stalwart Christians and the other set some really really outlandishly dressed Goths.

The religious people eyed the Goths up and down and then announced, with acrimony, "We will pray for you."

To which the Goths replied, "Do we get to pick which God?"

True story.  :)

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Beachdragon on April 20, 2012, 03:09:53 PM
Years ago at Dragoncon (an enormous Science fiction and media convention in Atlanta every year) there was an overlap between exiting conventioners in for a religious convention and incoming Dragoncon patrons.  In this particular instance some of each met in the elevator.  One set stalwart Christians and the other set some really really outlandishly dressed Goths.

The religious people eyed the Goths up and down and then announced, with acrimony, "We will pray for you."

:D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on April 19, 2012, 11:58:38 PM
Quote from: AnimatedDirt on April 19, 2012, 08:27:00 PM
I get it.  In context of your point, I wouldn't say such a thing to someone I know is angered or offended at me saying, "I'll pray for you."  Lucky for me, the Atheist friends I do have have no issue whatsoever.  (I asked one over the weekend and another yesterday) Useless, yes, but not something to be angry or offended at.  I need to ask one more to complete my survey.  :)
But do you really need to say it? [...]
But do you really need to tell the atheist?  [...]
If you are going to pray for the atheist then do it, they don't really need to be told do they?

No, they don't need to hear about it. 

Sandra Craft

Well, that's obviously an important consideration!  I do admire people who are quick on their mental feet.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

keithpenrod

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 20, 2012, 04:49:15 PM

Well, that's obviously an important consideration!  I do admire people who are quick on their mental feet.

I wish I was quick-witted.  I'll think of a comeback like a week later and go up to the person and they're like "Dude, I don't even remember saying that.  It was so long ago, it even pre-dated the Bible."

Recusant

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Sweetdeath

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 20, 2012, 04:49:15 PM

Ugggh, those people sound so rude. I would so hate to coexist with a religious convention.

Poor goths. At least they were witty.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

Quote from: Recusant on April 21, 2012, 12:54:04 AM
I think that most of us have experienced l'esprit de l'escalier;)

Haha, that's a good little expression.  :)
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

history_geek

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

ThinkAnarchy

"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: ThinkAnarchy on April 21, 2012, 10:26:56 PM
Quote from: history_geek on April 21, 2012, 09:22:20 PM
Quote from: Recusant on April 21, 2012, 12:54:04 AMl'esprit de l'escalier

The story of my life....

Indeed. My witty retorts always come to me in the shower.

Mine when i am about to fall asleep. And i always have to pee right as i get cozy into bed. :(
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.