News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Richard Dawkins gets OWNED!

Started by Cortez88, January 06, 2012, 04:05:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asmodean

Quote from: Twentythree on January 06, 2012, 05:28:07 PM
Quote from: McQ on January 06, 2012, 04:22:25 AM
You might try a different intro. Or should I just ban you now?

Link removed.

can you unremove link. I'd like to review it.
Not easy unless backed up, plus not a good idea. We doesn't allow trolls and hit-and-runners to post links in their first post.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Oh come on you guys don't believe in Nephilims and unicorns, but you believe in dinosaurs?? All the dinosaurs have is scientific evidence whereas the Nephilims have a book written 2000 years ago by people who thought the Earth was flat.  Who are you really going to believe??
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

joeoleson

I like when people fling out bold and ignorant statements; they keep me from wasting my time.
just joe

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism on January 06, 2012, 06:11:47 PM
Oh come on you guys don't believe in Nephilims and unicorns, but you believe in dinosaurs?? All the dinosaurs have is scientific evidence whereas the Nephilims have a book written 2000 years ago by people who thought the Earth was flat.  Who are you really going to believe??

Ahaha, that's right!!
People used to think that angels had babies on earth. So LOL
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Asherah

As a scientist, I am hostile to fundamentalist religion because it actively debauches the scientific enterprise. It teaches us not to change our minds, and not to want to know exciting things that are available to be known. It subverts science and saps the intellect. - Dawkins

technolud

I don't understand how not being able to answer a question (how was life first created?) some how proves that an atheistic belief is wrong or the existence of God.

Just because science can't explain something today, or maybe ever, doesn't prove that it was created by a super natural being.

Guardian85

Quote from: technolud on April 13, 2012, 05:42:25 PM
I don't understand how not being able to answer a question (how was life first created?) some how proves that an atheistic belief is wrong or the existence of God.

Just because science can't explain something today, or maybe ever, doesn't prove that it was created by a super natural being.

You're preaching to the choir here, buddy.  ;)

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

technolud

I do believe I'm going to like this forum.  By the way, what is a "troll".  Someone that reads but never posts or something else?

Ali

^^ That's a lurker.

A troll is someone who intentionally tries to get people wound up. See also http://www.happyatheistforum.com/forum/index.php?board=48.0

technolud

My goodness.  They do get going don't they.  Me thinks people that get all excited about atheists are just insecure in their beliefs.

Recusant

Quote from: technolud on April 13, 2012, 09:17:12 PM
I do believe I'm going to like this forum.  By the way, what is a "troll".  Someone that reads but never posts or something else?

The thread that The Ali linked has some excellent examples. In addition, here are three useful resources to get you up to speed.

Wikipedia | "Internet Troll"

curiosityandthecat's "Trolling 101"

"Flame Warriors"
"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration — courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."
— H. L. Mencken

Asherah

Quote from: technolud on April 13, 2012, 05:42:25 PM

I love this quote! It describes exactly what you are saying:

As Kenneth Miller puts it, the illusion of design to a creationist is
" .....a negative argument in the sense that their proof of the existence of a designer is the alleged inadequacy of evolution to account for these complex features. What's wrong with that explanation is that it's a contrived dualism. It's an argument that says, "Either evolution can explain everything, or we can invoke an intelligent designer" ... The whole idea of intelligent design is a confession on the part of its advocates that they actually can't get any evidence at all in favor of a designer. So what they resort to is the notion that it's either evolution or it's design. And if evolution right now, today, cannot explain everything, that lack of a complete explanation amounts to evidence for the other side."
As a scientist, I am hostile to fundamentalist religion because it actively debauches the scientific enterprise. It teaches us not to change our minds, and not to want to know exciting things that are available to be known. It subverts science and saps the intellect. - Dawkins

technolud

Ah!  Ye Olde false dichotomy.  There is an excellent book my Robert Gula, Nonsense: A Handbook of Logical Fallacies  all about critical thinking and the pitfalls people fall into when offering arguments.

I have faithfully read the Troll posts and will strive not to be one.