News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

Constitutional change in Norway

Started by Guardian85, April 12, 2012, 06:57:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guardian85

Quote from: The Ali on April 12, 2012, 11:17:58 PM
Quote from: Guardian85 on April 12, 2012, 10:44:35 PM
In a constitutional monarchy the parliament writes and votes on the law.

And this is a good thing. For me at least. The only problem I have had with His Majesty is that he doubles as a religious leader.

So what does the King do?  (Honest question.  We don't have royalty, so I'm never sure exactly what they do if they don't actually make up the laws.   Are they like a perma-President? Also, can a King break the law, or would he get in trouble like anyone else?)

The King is the leader of the nation, but only in name the leader of the government.While the cabinet ministers convene at the castle for the Council of State, his powers are largely ceremonial. The real power rests i the hands of the Prime Minister.

QuoteThe King heads the government meetings at Oslo Palace every Friday (Council of State). He also has weekly meetings with the Prime Minister and the Foreign Minister. He receives foreign envoys, and opens parliament every September. According to the Norwegian constitution, he appoints his government. Since 1884 parliamentarism has been in place in Norway, so the government has to have support from Parliament. The King appoints the leader of the parliamentary block with majority as prime minister. When the parliamentary situation is unclear the king relies on the advice of the president of Parliament and the sitting prime minister. He travels extensively throughout Norway and makes official state visits to other countries.
-Wikipedia-

In addition to this, the King is also the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces (one of only two four-star generals, the other being the Chief of Defence), for a brief period still is the leader of the Church of Norway, and holds a host of other honorary titles and patronages.

And to top it all off, he was an Olympic sailor.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Guardian85

As of today it is official. Norway no longer has an official state church.   The Church of Norway is henceforth to be treated as any other faith group.

http://www.vg.no/nyheter/innenriks/artikkel.php?artid=10061921

As expected the demonstration against the changes to the constitution brought out the entirety of Norways hardcore christian fundamentalists. All 50 of them...

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

...Obviously the same asshole as my open letter in the terrorism thread was directed at. Well, who else could it be?  ???

Although I wish they took this separation all the way, it's a good first step.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Sweetdeath

Quote from: Guardian85 on May 21, 2012, 05:47:40 PM
As of today it is official. Norway no longer has an official state church.   The Church of Norway is henceforth to be treated as any other faith group.

As expected the demonstration against the changes to the constitution brought out the entirety of Norways hardcore christian fundamentalists. All 50 of them...

Packing my bags, and moving there now. Wanna grab a bite to eat? :)
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Guardian85

Quote from: Sweetdeath on May 23, 2012, 05:56:50 AM
Quote from: Guardian85 on May 21, 2012, 05:47:40 PM

Packing my bags, and moving there now. Wanna grab a bite to eat? :)

Love to. Know this great little cafe where I am friendly with the head waitress.

-Unknown Smartass-