Main Menu

What's with all the cutlery?

Started by BonaireBound, April 11, 2012, 07:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

Quote from: Ali on April 11, 2012, 08:28:07 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 11, 2012, 08:25:56 PM
Quote from: Ali on April 11, 2012, 08:23:11 PM
Tank, I agree.  I think being open and honest are the biggest things.  Also being friendly helps.  :)
I think being friendly is good. Being civil helps. Realising that people aren't always perfect helps to.

Except me.  Realizing that I *am* perfect will get you far in life.

(I'm in a slappy mood this afternoon, aren't I? ;D)

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Ali

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 11, 2012, 08:29:53 PM
Quote from: Ali on April 11, 2012, 08:28:07 PM

Except me.  Realizing that I *am* perfect will get you far in life.

(I'm in a slappy mood this afternoon, aren't I? ;D)

It's like you are the Asmo. Except not made out of clay. Or grumpy. Or grey.

I think I'm going to start insisting that people call me the Ali.  I'm not just any Ali.  I'm The Ali.

BonaireBound

Quote from: Ali on April 11, 2012, 08:25:33 PM
Haha, forgot to say the most important part.

Hi Bonaire Bound!  Welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here and get your own flatware soon enough.

Thanks so much. I have really enjoyed (wasted? frittered away?) the last several hours looking around and have laughed out loud many times! (contented sigh) It's good to be home.

Buddy

Quote from: BonaireBound on April 11, 2012, 08:35:36 PM

Hi Bonaire Bound!  Welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here and get your own flatware soon enough.

Thanks so much. I have really enjoyed (wasted? frittered away?) the last several hours looking around and have laughed out loud many times! (contented sigh) It's good to be home.

That's why I love this forum. Just the sheer amount of times that has literally made my laugh out loud.
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

Tank

Quote from: BonaireBound on April 11, 2012, 08:35:36 PM

Hi Bonaire Bound!  Welcome and I hope you enjoy your time here and get your own flatware soon enough.

We're glad you found us  ;D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 11, 2012, 07:46:09 PM
We get our spoons when we reach 1000 posts and The Magic Pudding customizes them for us.

And the knife marks 2000 posts.  I expect a fork will turn up for 3000 posts.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany

Buddy

Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 11, 2012, 11:43:37 PM
We get our spoons when we reach 1000 posts and The Magic Pudding customizes them for us.

And a spork for 4000?
Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

DeterminedJuliet

Spoons are cool.

I'd like a corkscrew for my 5000 post (did you catch that, Puddin?)
I am enjoying all of the new contributors. Spoons aplenty, there'll be!  ;D
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Amicale

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 11, 2012, 08:26:15 PM
Quote from: Jimmy on April 11, 2012, 08:24:04 PM
Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 11, 2012, 08:21:28 PM
Quote from: Jimmy on April 11, 2012, 08:18:13 PM
When the conversations  get deep, they're a gentle reminder that we need to take the time to eat :)

I like your spoon Jimmy.  :D

Thanks!! Amicale sent me an assortment to choose from. They're like training spoons :P

I like the idea of training spoons.

:D Dese be dem.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Whitney

maybe "there is no spoon" should be the 1000 post rank.

xSilverPhinx

Quote from: Whitney on April 12, 2012, 02:54:47 AM
maybe "there is no spoon" should be the 1000 post rank.

I like this idea :D Will make the solipsists uneasy, though...

Anyways, welcome BonaireBound!
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

"What's with all the cutlery?"

I gave newcomers a complementary stainless steel knife for a while.  It was just an extension of the perennial steak knife joke.  No one adopted one as a signature picture.

Some time later xSilverPhinx reached 2,000 posts and I gave her the first gold knife.  She started using it as a signature pic and the cutlery infestation took hold.

I think those memorabilia spoons are kind of quaint, I've got a Kangaroo Valley one.  For a while I was a volunteer guide at an Historic site.  They had souvenir spoons and my ambition was to sell one.  I created a full screen animation of a stirring spoon.  Bin Laden and a few local politicians would fade in and out as reflections in the spoon.  With the help of the animation my ambition to sell a spoon was achieved and my motivation to guide withered as the weekends grew warmer.

I'm not sure if the word "stirrer" is used elsewhere as it is here.  It can be a serious thing or merely a tease.

So the future holds forks and corkscrews, sounds interesting.

Sweetdeath

Hi, welcome to HAF.
Spoons - 1,000 posts
knife - 2,000
I don't know when Puddin came up with it, but it just kinda stuck as an haf thing. I really like it. <3
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

Amicale

Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 12, 2012, 05:31:38 AM
Hi, welcome to HAF.
Spoons - 1,000 posts
knife - 2,000
I don't know when Puddin came up with it, but it just kinda stuck as an haf thing. I really like it. <3

Spoons - because we stir up shit  ;D
Knives - because we cut through bad arguments.
Forks - because we eat up the camaraderie here.
Corkscrews - because we like winers, but not whiners.

See? It works!

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Sandra Craft

Quote from: Budhorse4 on April 11, 2012, 11:46:04 PM
Quote from: BooksCatsEtc on April 11, 2012, 11:43:37 PM

And a spork for 4000?

I was hoping for a goblet.
Sandy

"Life is short, and it is up to you to make it sweet."  Sarah Louise Delany