News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

My First Car

Started by Shalo'zier, September 03, 2007, 11:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlrose328

I don't believe cars will ever be eliminated.  Americans LOVE their wheels.  There are not enough environmentalists or environmental issues that will separate Americans from their cars.  

We have a Prius... LOVE the 48 mpg (avg) and will never own another gas only car.  We mourn the non-existence of a pure electric car because of greed and stupidity.  But even with that in mind, we will drive when on vacation rather than take the train (I've had two HORRIBLE experiences involving personal injury with Amtrak, not to mention the hideous timing issues) or airplane (too unpredictable for my tastes... and the seats are terribly uncomfortable).  We will drive the 800 miles to my mom's house for both Christmas and our summer vacation next year.

No matter what price the gas, Americans will buy it.  No matter how huge the profits... Americans still drive.  I just can't see cars ever going the way of the telegraph.
**Kerri**
The Rogue Atheist Scrapbooker
Come visit me on Facebook!

McQ

I've split the topic, since we've veered off from what our first car was to fossil fuels and transportation woes. That part of the thread can now be found here:

http://www.happyatheistforum.com/ftopic970.html
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Tricky_Niki

My first car that I actually bought was a 98 Buick Skylark not the best car in the world but it was mine and I loved it. Then 3 months after the last payment was made I was rear ended on a slick hill and it was totaled. Sadly I haven't driven since. Maybe next year I will find my courage again.
Freethought and Toasters have never killed anyone.
Everything you need to know about life can be learned from Toasters.

Bella

Oh dear... It was an '84 Jetta. My (over-protective yet agnostic) dad never technically "gave" it to me so that he could say, "Where are you taking MY car?" and "Bring MY car home right now!" This was also around when he discovered the conveinence of making his daughter carry a cell phone, LOL. When I graduated high school, he bought me a red convertable BMW. My (extremely religious) mom said that I couldn't have it because it wasn't appropriate for a young girl. I got fed up with it all and bought my OWN car(white, '96 BMW). Later, when my younger twin brothers graduated high school, one was given the red convertible (which he crashed) and one was given a 2004(?) white BMW. The one who crashed the convertible was given one of those bright blue BMW's (same year). My sister didn't want to drive. She was finally forced to get her license at the tail end of her 18th year and she only wanted a white 2005 (?) Jetta.

It wasn't that they hated me or anything, I was just the oldest... had to break them in and all. lol. I remember stalling out in the middle of the road, coming home from church, with my three younger siblings screaming the back about how they were going to die. :) The pure joy of wanting to go somewhere and actually being able to was amazing!

antares

1975 AMC Gremlin. $500, bought in 1984. What a beaut! AC was 2/40 (2 windows down, 40mph)! I still have very fond memories of pushing that car around...
Every man, wherever he goes, is encompassed by a cloud of comforting convictions, which move with him like flies on a summer day.
 - Bertrand Russell

MommaSquid

Quote from: "antares"I still have very fond memories of pushing that car around...

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Squid

Ahh, the first car...here's what mine was:

That's not the exact car I had but same year 1987 and color.