News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

James Cameron gets ready to dive to the Mariana Trench

Started by Tank, March 20, 2012, 04:36:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

James Cameron gets ready to dive to the Mariana Trench

QuoteHollywood director James Cameron may be close to making a dive to the deepest place on Earth.

In a one-man submarine, he plans to dive 11km (seven miles) down beneath the waves to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, in the western Pacific.

There has only ever been one manned dive there, and that was half a century ago.
Continue reading the main story
"Start Quote

We are there to do science, but we are also there to take the average person who only imagines these things and show them what it is really like"

James Cameron

Mr Cameron and his team have set sail to reach the trench and are now waiting for calm weather to begin the dive...

He kept this quiet so he could get down there before a bunch of others trying to do the same.

If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Piratenerforsej

Sweetdeath

Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

DeterminedJuliet

"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Tank

Quote from: Piratenerforsej on March 31, 2012, 06:51:48 PM
Must be frightening to be down there all alone...
Couldn't be claustrophobic and do that!
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Firebird

Pretty cool. He's a fascinating guy. He also invented the cameras that were used to film "Avatar".
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Piratenerforsej

Quote from: Tank on March 31, 2012, 08:24:04 PM
Quote from: Piratenerforsej on March 31, 2012, 06:51:48 PM
Must be frightening to be down there all alone...
Couldn't be claustrophobic and do that!
Absolutely not.

Quote from: Firebird on April 01, 2012, 05:55:05 AM
Pretty cool. He's a fascinating guy. He also invented the cameras that were used to film "Avatar".
He did? I didn't knew that. ...He's cool.

Guardian85

Obviously a man of many talents. Great film maker. Electrical engineer. Submarine captain....

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-