News:

Departing the Vacuousness

Main Menu

I can't believe I forgot to tell you guys

Started by Ali, April 04, 2012, 01:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

about the awesome movie I saw this past weekend.

This was while I was at the hotel in SC for that wedding.  Hubby was in the wedding party so he was attending to some groomsmen duties (I don't know, probably involving booze and women jumping out of cakes) so I was hanging out in our room playing Drawsome and channel surfing.  I paused on one of the local channels, and I believe that my thought process was something like this "Aww, puppy cartoon.  Wonder what it is and if T would like it.  Is that...is that....Jesus?!?"

I was both deeply amused and horrified, so I watched as much as I could stomach.  I saw Jesus getting taken away by the Romans, and then the talking dog and his buddies were planning to save him.  All I could think was "Wow, if I remember my bible stories correctly, this movie is going to have a kind of downer ending when the the dogs can't save Jesus from being executed...."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzoq6qin-VU

I can't believe I forgot to laugh about this with my HAF buddies until now!

chris

I really truly wanted to laugh, but I was so appalled that I could not do so.

If only Mighty Mouse had made a guest appearance and slapped some sense into these cartoon cretins.

Family film my ass... treating children like mindless morons by feeding them predigested pabulum instead of respecting them enough to at least tell the story without all the cutsiness crap.

Hector Valdez

Christianity is pretty much crappy. But it's a great story/mythology/culture, methinks.

Unlinked

"They've taken Jesus! I have to do something!"

Someone, somewhere, wrote that down and thought it was a swell idea.

Asmodean

Judging by the trailer, the story is the same generic sort of crap these animated feature-length films are so full of these days...
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Propaganda of the worst kind. Makes me feel sick to watch it  :-[
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

history_geek

"I will be with you always"
.... BLASPHEMY! SACRILEGE! Those are the undying words of the great Master Ben...I mean Obi-Wan Kenobi! You servant of the Dark Side, you shall never device me RAAWRARARAAWR...

The amount of facepalms I had to do watching this...wow. And what the heck is the point of having that dog hunter in there (with, as someone pointed out in the comments, his own ARMY OF DOGS! Unless his really a super villain who intends to use them to take over the world..)? I have no idea why they needed that into the story. And am I the only one that though the line "His word eased my pain..I loved him" sounds incredibly corny and...I don't know. Who ever made that bit of dialogue need his head examined, more so then the rest of the people that fartstormed this story up (because I refuse to believe any sort of "brainstorming" was involved with this one...)

But, on the (waaay overoptimistic) bright side: cartoons like this might teach kids that the bible is just another story book...I think it worked with me, anyway ;) And I liked The Small One! And the Moses and Jospeh movies were watchable as well (if a tad bit cleaned up to make them kid friendly...), though I didn't see those as a kid, unlike my two younger brothers...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i

Guardian85

Quote from: history_geek on April 04, 2012, 08:59:20 PM
.... BLASPHEMY! SACRILEGE! Those are the undying words of the great Master Ben...I mean Obi-Wan Kenobi! You servant of the Dark Side, you shall never device me RAAWRARARAAWR...

You blaspheme, yourself! Obi-Wan said: "The Force will be with you. Always."!

As for thew movie, an obvious attempt to indoctrinate kids by conceling religious indoctrination behind a cute facade.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Asmodean

What about that movie was cute?  ??? Old-style cartoons are nice when they are OLD. The new ones should have a lot more CGI, in my opinion.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Guardian85

I said it was an attempt. I didn't say it was successful.

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Ali

I thought it was cute for .2 seconds until I saw Jesus.  Then I thought it was hilarious.  Like "Oh yeah, they must have lost those books of the Bible where Jesus befriends a talking dog..."

history_geek

Quote from: Guardian85 on April 04, 2012, 09:49:56 PM
Quote from: history_geek on April 04, 2012, 08:59:20 PM

You blaspheme, yourself! Obi-Wan said: "The Force will be with you. Always."!

....Vader damnit.

QuoteOld-style cartoons are nice when they are OLD. The new ones should have a lot more CGI, in my opinion.

I personally prefer cartoons to the CGI ones, as I think there's more then enough of those as is. What they should concentrate instead is to make better stories. I don't really demand them to be good, but at least the should be something that I don't feel the need to close the tv before the show is over....

QuoteI thought it was cute for .2 seconds until I saw Jesus.  Then I thought it was hilarious.  Like "Oh yeah, they must have lost those books of the Bible where Jesus befriends a talking dog...

"The Gospel of Jericho the Dog"? ;)

Damn those Nicean fools, them and their human agenda...
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." Arthur C Clarke's Third Law
"Any sufficiently advanced alien is indistinguishable from a god."
Pierre-Simon, marquis de Laplace:
Je n'ai pas besoin de cette hypothése - I do not require that hypothesis[img]http://www.dakkadakka.com/s/i/a/4eef2cc3548cc9844a491b22ad384546.gif[/i