News:

The default theme for this site has been updated. For further information, please take a look at the announcement regarding HAF changing its default theme.

Main Menu

Outcasts in Zion!

Started by Outcasts, April 03, 2012, 10:10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outcasts

Hello Happy Atheist Forums, I've just done a Google search for you, because I figured you must exist.

So I've started up a new podcast (or is it technically a video cast? I'm not sure) called "Outcasts in Zion". We've been making videos for just over two months now and we've already got 40+ videos up on Youtube, but we don't seem to be gaining any ground in regards to views/subscriptions. So I was hoping that users here on the forums might help by checking out our Youtube page and watching some videos and possibly subscribing to our channel and sharing the videos with others that you think might like them.

The goal of Outcasts in Zion is to not only poke our fingers in the eyes of the local religious majority here in Salt Lake City, UT but we are also trying to let local Atheists and various other non-believers that there is a community here for them, and they are not alone. This is largely important to me because when I came out as an Atheist here in SLC I felt very alone.

Thanks for reading my spiel, I look forward to chatting at you all soon!

Link removed by moderator.

DeterminedJuliet

Errmmm, posting links on your first visit is usually frowned upon. But welcome! Do you plan on sticking around HAF, or did you just want to let us know about your podcast?
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

McQ

Hello, Outcasts. Welcome to the forum and thanks for the introduction. We hope you'll have fun here. While you're familiarizing yourself with the forum, take a look over the rules and guidelines. I've removed your link because we don't allow those types of things until a member has been a bit more established with our 10 Post rule.

See you around the threads!

Notes for new members.
The Rules.

Users who comply with forum rules will graduate to full membership after 10 posts.
Till that time your ability to post is limited to the "Getting to Know You" section of the forum.
It is our hope that this small restriction improves the overall atmosphere of HAF.

Some threads you might find interesting.
Where did you get your username from?
10 Things About Yourself
Tell us A Bit About Where You're From
Photography
Non-religious pet peeves
Pets...what do you have?
Favorite Song, with video
How to tell your family you are an atheist.*
"Rules for Conducting a Discussion" by Dr. Mortimer J. Adler*

*You will need 10 posts before you can add a post to this thread, but you can read it at any time.
[/quote]
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Amicale

Welcome, Outcasts. :) I hope you enjoy HAF, and that you stick around.

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

xSilverPhinx

Welcome, if this isn't a post and run.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey

The Magic Pudding

Tank

Hi

It can't be fun to be an atheist in SLC. I know a couple and they have a hard time.

As has been pointed out promotional links in your first 10 posts are frowned on, which you would have known if you had read the rules. This forum is not a promotional base for anti-theist views. It's a small community of people who get on quite well most of the time. Most are atheists, but it's not compulsory.

Welcome to HAF

Regards
Chris
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Sweetdeath

Welcome to HAF. hope you actually stick around.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

McQ

Sadly, looking like another "post and run" advertising attempt. Sounds interesting though.
Elvis didn't do no drugs!
--Penn Jillette

Outcasts

No, its actually not that hard being an Atheist in Utah, I think you'd be surprised. For all the silly flaws that the LDS Church has, they are strangely tolerant of others usually, at least to your face I guess.

Amicale

Quote from: Outcasts on April 06, 2012, 07:53:34 PM
No, its actually not that hard being an Atheist in Utah, I think you'd be surprised. For all the silly flaws that the LDS Church has, they are strangely tolerant of others usually, at least to your face I guess.

Glad to see you here again. :)

I've also heard this about Utah, that if you're not Mormon, the Mormons there don't appear to try really hard to drag you into their fold. I don't know why they're more casual/tolerant about it, though -- can you tell me? Is it that they're just not that extreme, or is it more that they figure atheists are damned permanently, so why bother, type of thing?

"Our lives are not our own. From womb to tomb we are bound to others. By every crime and act of kindness we birth our future." - Cloud Atlas

"To live in the hearts of those we leave behind is to never die." -Carl Sagan

Anti-antidisestablishmentarianism

Welcome to the forum outcast.
"All murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets." -Voltaire
"By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out". Richard Dawkins

Outcasts

I think they used to drag people really hard into their fold, I've lived here in Salt Lake for just over 20 years now. When I first got here in the late 80's it seemed like the local missionaries were really aggressive in coming to people's houses. I had heard that they look do see where church members live and any address not in their records they figure houses non-mormons and hence that's who they would go and talk too but I don't know if this is really true. Either way, they seemed to have backed off.

I've read more than one report in the last few years that have talked about how the LDS church has lost a lot of members, (they only keep 1 in 4 converts after the first year, it used o be 1 in 2), they claim to have 14 million members worldwide, but census data reveals that they only have 5 million "active" members. Due to things like this, it seems like they focus on keeping their own house in order as much as they can anymore. They still proselytize, but I've not heard of missionaries bothering people local to SLC unless you invite them over.

They really seemed to have backed off, but then, they are also getting a lot of scrutiny these days, and its not being kind to them. ;)

And I enjoy being a thorn in their side.