News:

There is also the shroud of turin, which verifies Jesus in a new way than other evidences.

Main Menu

Israel/Iranian War.

Started by ThinkAnarchy, March 31, 2012, 12:34:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThinkAnarchy

Tank recently had a thread as to the probability of a new war; now we have the following.

The first article is from the American Conservative, which doesn't scream truth given the name of the site.
http://www.theamericanconservative.com/blog/israel-encircles-iran/

QuoteIsrael is tightening the noose around Iran. The Israeli government has signed a secret agreement with the government of Azerbaijan to lease two former Soviet military airfields located close to the Iranian border. One of the facilities is being used as an intelligence collection site, with advanced Sigint capabilities and preparations underway for drone operations. The other base is being designated a search-and-rescue facility. It will eventually have helicopters that will presumably be dispatched to aid downed Israeli fliers if there is a preemptive attack on Iran's nuclear facilities. The base will also have limited refueling and recovery capabilities for planes too damaged to make the long flight back to Israel over Iraqi or Saudi airspace. The Azerbaijani bases are much closer to the prime Iranian nuclear targets at Natanz and Fordow than are airfields in Israel itself. Recent Iranian government and media complaints about threatening Azerbaijani activities reflect official concern on the part of Tehran over the new developments...

You also have this, with other multiple sources stating Israel just bought an airfield the size of a small country.
http://www.indianexpress.com/news/israel-buys-azeri-base-to-strike-iran-report/930286/

It could be they are simply posturing, but I'm not at all optimistic there won't be a U.S./Israeli strike within the year.  
"He that displays too often his wife and his wallet is in danger of having both of them borrowed." -Ben Franklin

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." -credited to Franklin, but not sure.

Asmodean

Well, if they don't have a sense not to make more mess than is there already, one can hope they'll at east get a thoroughly bloody nose for it.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Velma

Is there somewhere I can go and start my own country?   :P
Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of the astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy.~Carl Sagan

Tank

Quote from: Velma on March 31, 2012, 01:34:49 AM
Is there somewhere I can go and start my own country?   :P
There will shortly be some free real estate in the middle east, it may be a little radioactive.
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on March 31, 2012, 07:08:46 AM
There will shortly be some free real estate in the middle east, it may be a little radioactive.
And don't you DARE set up an opposing Evil Base there!  >:( That's Asmo's. He wanted it first.

You can has like... Greenland. The Danes, they don't need that.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on March 31, 2012, 08:34:34 AM
Quote from: Tank on March 31, 2012, 07:08:46 AM
And don't you DARE set up an opposing Evil Base there!  >:( That's Asmo's. He wanted it first.

You can has like... Greenland. The Danes, they don't need that.
I already have my base, it's called Cuba  8)
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on March 31, 2012, 08:36:13 AM
Oh! Yes, can has that too. A word of advise, evil to evil, get some more new cars. That car park there is... Embarrassing.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on March 31, 2012, 08:40:06 AM
Quote from: Tank on March 31, 2012, 08:36:13 AM
Oh! Yes, can has that too. A word of advise, evil to evil, get some more new cars. That car park there is... Embarrassing.
Sod the cars. It's the cigars I like!

Guardian85

Anyone think that a strike into Iran might be this elections "October Surprise"?

"If scientist means 'not the dumbest motherfucker in the room,' I guess I'm a scientist, then."
-Unknown Smartass-

Tank

These submarines make a serious difference to the balance of power in and around the Middle East http://www.defenseindustrydaily.com/germany-may-sell-2-more-dolphin-subs-to-israel-for-117b-01528/

Basically these subs can carry and launch nuclear capable cruise missiles giving Israel a Mutually Assured Destruction (MAD) capability. None of the gulf states have significant anti-submarine assets and Israel can deploy these subs in the Med, Red Sea, Persian Gulf or Indian Ocean. Their Air Independent Propulsion (AIP) systems give them a sustainable underwater loiter capability way beyond conventional diesel/electric boats. With these boats suitably armed and deployed Iran could not carry out an effective pre-emptive strike and be sure of no retaliation.

DeterminedJuliet

stop the world, I want to get off
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Firebird

I don't think the US will strike Iran. Obama and his team, in my admittedly optimistic view, seem to understand the repercussions of such a move, not to mention the fact that a lot of evidence indicates that Iran has stalled its missile program. They may be up to no good, but they can be contained.
Israel, on the other hand, is a different story. Netanyahu is a hawk in a government dominated by right-wingers, the religious, sympathizers of the settler movement, etc. And Israel has pulled off bombings of nuclear sites before with little repercussion, such as Iraq in the 80's and Syria in recent years.
Frankly, nothing would help the Iranians more than Israel bombing them. They have less sympathy from other countries in the middle east due to their intransigence and the sanctions are hurting them, not to mention the schism between Ahmadinejhad (sic) and Khamenei. But bomb them, and now they all have a common enemy to unite against.
"Great, replace one book about an abusive, needy asshole with another." - Will (moderator) on replacing hotel Bibles with "Fifty Shades of Grey"

Tank

Iran is like an irritating yapping little dog. If you kick it you'll be considered cruel and spiteful. So however annoying it is it's best just left alone.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on April 08, 2012, 09:30:37 AM
Iran is like an irritating yapping little dog. If you kick it you'll be considered cruel and spiteful. So however annoying it is it's best just left alone.
It probably bites if kicked too.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

xSilverPhinx

You kick it enough and it will try to find ways to be more than just a little yapping dog.
I am what survives if it's slain - Zack Hemsey