News:

If you have any trouble logging in, please contact admins via email. tankathaf *at* gmail.com or
recusantathaf *at* gmail.com

Main Menu

U.S. solider(s) murder Afghan civilians.

Started by ThinkAnarchy, March 17, 2012, 09:22:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tank

'No proof' in Afghan massacre suspect Sgt Bales case

QuoteThe lawyer representing a US soldier accused of killing 16 Afghan civilians in their homes has said there is little proof of his client's guilt.

John Henry Browne said there was "no forensic evidence" against Staff Sgt Robert Bales and "no confession".

He also dismissed reports suggesting Sgt Bales, 38, was having financial troubles as irrelevant to the case.

Sgt Bales is being held a military detention centre awaiting charges, which are expected this week.

The killings have undermined US relations with Kabul and led to calls for Nato to speed up their planned withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan.

After meeting with Sgt Bales at a US army base in Kansas, Mr Browne told reporters: "We've all heard the allegations. I don't know that the government has proved much."

Sgt Bales is the only known suspect in the killings - despite repeated Afghan assertions that more than one American was involved.

Mr Browne said he now plans to travel to Afghanistan to gather his own evidence...

I thought he had turned himself in?
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.

Tank

Robert Bales to face murder charges over Afghan massacre

QuoteA US soldier suspected of killing civilians in Afghanistan will be charged with 17 counts of murder, US officials have told the BBC.

Staff Sgt Robert Bales is accused of attacking the villagers in their homes in Kandahar province on 11 March. Most victims were women and children.

Sgt Bales, 38, was later moved to a military prison in the US after being transported from Afghanistan to Kuwait.

He could face the death penalty if convicted...
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett

fester30

I don't know if he turned himself in or not, but turning yourself in is not an admission of guilt.  It's just that you know they are after you for some reason, so instead of making them chase you, you hand yourself over.  The lawyer is posturing for his case right now, perhaps trying to get the Judge Advocate General to agree to a plea bargain of some sort.

Asmodean

Since the murders occured on foreign soil, I think they should use whatever resources they can to get to the bottom of it.

Get a few forensic teams out there, dig up the corpses, get as close to the bottom of it as possible. Then, if the evidence still points to that guy, convict his ass and preferably throw him in an Afghan jail.
Quote from: Ecurb Noselrub on July 25, 2013, 08:18:52 PM
In Asmo's grey lump,
wrath and dark clouds gather force.
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on March 23, 2012, 02:38:33 PM
Since the murders occured on foreign soil, I think they should use whatever resources they can to get to the bottom of it.

Get a few forensic teams out there, dig up the corpses, get as close to the bottom of it as possible. Then, if the evidence still points to that guy, convict his ass and preferably throw him in an Afghan jail.
They can't do that as the Afghans agreed that charges brought against members of foreign forces would not be tried in Afghanistan but in the home country of the accused. This was required before American and NATO forces would intervene.   

Asmodean

I'm not talking about who will judge the guy - just whos jail he will be tossed in if found guilty.
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on March 23, 2012, 05:17:15 PM
I'm not talking about who will judge the guy - just whos jail he will be tossed in if found guilty.
Ah! I'd think he'd end up in a US military prison.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2012, 06:14:53 PM
That universally annoys me. If you did a crime in a certain country, even if the trial takes place somewhere else, you should do time in that country. Otherwise, how has that country's society taken its revenge on your criminal ass?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on March 23, 2012, 06:25:26 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2012, 06:14:53 PM
That universally annoys me. If you did a crime in a certain country, even if the trial takes place somewhere else, you should do time in that country. Otherwise, how has that country's society taken its revenge on your criminal ass?
A cage is a cage anywhere on Earth and if you're put to death the same is the case. But I understand that the relatives of the victims could well feel that a cage in America would be a cushy number in comparison to an Afghan cage.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2012, 06:41:29 PM
A cage is a cage anywhere on Earth and if you're put to death the same is the case. But I understand that the relatives of the victims could well feel that a cage in America would be a cushy number in comparison to an Afghan cage.
Actually, a cage is not really a cage - some cages have the Interwebs and food. Others have roaches and a VERY big guy on the top bunk. That, however, is not really the point. If you are supposed to pay for your crime by spending time in jail, how does it make sense to pay for a crime to a society other than the one it was comitted against?
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.

Tank

Quote from: Asmodean on March 23, 2012, 06:52:58 PM
Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2012, 06:41:29 PM
Actually, a cage is not really a cage - some cages have the Interwebs and food. Others have roaches and a VERY big guy on the top bunk. That, however, is not really the point. If you are supposed to pay for your crime by spending time in jail, how does it make sense to pay for a crime to a society other than the one it was comitted against?
It doesn't really. The only issue here is that the laws the soldier broke were in place when he committed the crime (if he did). So the laws in place at the time prevail. One may not like that but that's what'll happen.

Asmodean

Quote from: Tank on March 23, 2012, 06:56:19 PM
So the laws in place at the time prevail. One may not like that but that's what'll happen.
Weeell... An Asmo can hope. (Actually, no, he seems quite incapable of hoping... But still)
In Asmo's grey lump,
Luxembourg trembles.