News:

if there were no need for 'engineers from the quantum plenum' then we should not have any unanswered scientific questions.

Main Menu

Atheist youtubers - good or bad for PR?

Started by User192021, December 04, 2007, 07:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Mac

Feh, most Atheist videos just plain suck.
Quote from: "PoopShoot"And what if pigs shit candy?

Smarmy Of One

I always liked this movie. The tone is unapologetically patronizing and it's a cartoon which makes it seem like it's meant for children, which ... is pretty much the mindset it's aimed at.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HVuw1wEuaAQ

Mister Joy

Seen that one before. I didn't like it that much. The trouble is that the arguments he presents, while I agree with them, are very basic & most Christians are going to have rationalisations for them already at hand. Plus his voice grates on my nerves a little. Whether I agree with him or not, he has the exact same sickening better-than-though tone that the missionaries around here love to adopt.

Smarmy Of One

QuoteWhether I agree with him or not, he has the exact same sickening better-than-though tone that the missionaries around here love to adopt.

That's what I like about it. I find it refreshing to hear that tone come from my camp for a change.

There is nothing that can be said to a religious person that will change their mind anyway. You might as well try to convince a cinderblock it is wrong.

Aside from which, I don't care to change the mind of any believer. I think videos like this are important because they reach unsure atheists and atheists who feel alone in there beliefs much like I did growing up.

If it pisses off a few christians as well - all the better.

User192021

Quote from: "intoxicajun"PR?

There is PR regarding Atheists?  I believe that whoever thinks that this is a club/revolution/ or anything other than a way of life for self is mistaken.

I will not sucumb to wearing a badge or a patch.  The most important thing for me, in my Atheist life, is that I remain true to my own self.  Who gives a &^$$ about PR and the "image" Atheists have.  I am not one because you are, I am one because it is the only thing that seems real.  Some a$$ wants to get on youtug and blast people about this or that is not what Athiest means to me.  I do not want to educate the religious zealots.  I don't care to enlighten them with my way of thinking.  To be Atheist is to remain true to self awareness, and thought.  Loud mouthed barkers only do harm to themselves.  Atheist to me means one who can see through the lies, and one who has conscience thought and an understanding that life is here, now.  

Keep it to yourself, and live your life, but preaching on youtube is ridiculious.

Please pass this on to "The Amazing Atheist"  This should be treated as a reward not forced onto others who are not ready.  Treat this like that Matrix movie.

MOST PEOPLE JUST AREN'T READY TO BE UNPLUGGED!!!

I would like to ask this Amazing Atheist guy, "what would you be doing if everyone just stopped and began to treat you as the one true god, to beleive in everything you are rambling on about?"  "What would you do then?  Would you not do just as those before you have done?  How would you lead them?  What would you tell them as vulnerability, and lonliness set it?  What would you do to comfort them, and educate them?  You are worse than the Evangalists.  At least they have a big auditorium to let them come and sit at.  You, you are a f**&^ disgrace, and anyone that watches needs a nice swift kick in the butt.

This is about attraction, not promotion, and idiots that are screaming about it over the internet should be clubbed into submission.

Not everyone deserves this gift.  Some are meant to die not knowing.

So Shut the *&^% up, and just be, here, now.  All the time you waste, waiting on your ridiculious videos to load onto that site could be spent enjoying your own thoughts.  In your own head.... Here, Now!

You are exactly why people hate us.  Atheism is a gift?  What?

I don't know what the religious climate is like in Thailand, but in my part of the US, it is NOT ok to say you are an atheist.  I can't say it at work or in most public situations, and when I told my own family they reacted like I just told them I've been diagnosed with terminal cancer.  This is my motivation for changing people's attitudes toward atheism.  Of course atheists are not one monolithic group, but that doesn't mean we should ignore the fact that statistics show that we are the single most hated / least trusted minority in the United States.  Several states still have laws on the books banning atheists from holding public office.  George Bush Sr. said that he does not consider atheists to be American citizens.

I agree that atheists are individualistic by nature and we'll never organize, which means we'll never have a voice in politics, which leaves the door wide open for Christians to attack science.  But everyone can at least do their part towards earning the public's respect for a person who identifies his/her self as an atheist.