News:

In case of downtime/other tech emergencies, you can relatively quickly get in touch with Asmodean Prime by email.

Main Menu

My hero...?

Started by Unlinked, April 04, 2012, 07:02:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Magic Pudding

Quote from: Amicale on April 07, 2012, 01:35:49 PM
Quote from: Sweetdeath on April 07, 2012, 01:03:41 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 07, 2012, 09:04:27 AM
Quote from: Nihilist on April 07, 2012, 04:16:05 AM
How the fuck can a school ban The Divine Comedy?
The how is easy, 'Don't read that.', it's the why that's so stupid!!!

Keep the cattle dumb, and they won't question the herder.

A theist who I generally have a lot of respect for because she's a very kind, funny lady posted a question on Facebook that asked "would you rather be a sheep or a wolf?" and the discussion that followed was astounding. Not in a good way. Basically, those who answered equated Christians/theists with innocent sheep in a flock who followed God, and equated wolves with people who tried to live life their own way in a pack mentality, organizing themselves in order to take down others. And of course, almost everyone said they'd rather be a sheep, rather than a wolf... although a few people said they'd sooner be 'wolves'.  ::)

I answered with "Neither. Sheep blindly follow without questioning, and wolves attack people. It's a false dilemma. Just because you live life your own way does NOT mean you try and take down others. We can also be people to try to see the best in others, and to help them out, without any belief in the supernatural." and of course... they jumped on me. Sigh. Funny how sheeple can turn into wolves so quickly...

My point as it relates to this thread is that I don't want ANYONE teaching my child how to be either. I don't want any 'educator' to discourage her from learning, thinking, or asking questions. I don't want her to EVER think she just has to blindly trust any authority figure without asking questions, and that includes me -- already, she asks 'mama, why??' and I'm proud of her for that!

We are supposed to be like sheep when we have so much more in common with wolves?
We both cooperate to kill and eat other animals.
We've formed a partnership with wolves/dogs, we even use them to protect sheep.
I like that sheep live without the need to kill other animals but that's not a Christian ideal.
I suppose sheep may be seen as living together in harmony but males will fight for females.
If it's about submitting to being controlled, well wolves do that too.
There's so much wrong with the sheep and good shepherd metaphor. 
The corrupt shepherd/church lived off people while "protecting" them from reality.
What's wrong with being a curious ape?

Sweetdeath

Nothing, I like apes.
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.

En_Route

Quote from: Tank on April 04, 2012, 08:12:10 AM
Interesting. I buy banned books automatically  ;D

All the books I buy are  banned automatically.
Some ideas are so stupid only an intellectual could believe them (Orwell).

Tank

Quote from: En_Route on April 16, 2012, 11:53:34 PM
Quote from: Tank on April 04, 2012, 08:12:10 AM
Interesting. I buy banned books automatically  ;D

All the books I buy are  banned automatically.
:D
If religions were TV channels atheism is turning the TV off.
"Religion is a culture of faith; science is a culture of doubt." ― Richard P. Feynman
'It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die. That is true, it's called Life.' - Terry Pratchett
Remember, your inability to grasp science is not a valid argument against it.