News:

When one conveys certain things, particularly of such gravity, should one not then appropriately cite sources, authorities...

Main Menu

Some quotes from Jesus about everlasting life

Started by CalmReflect, March 14, 2012, 04:00:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: MariaEvri on March 14, 2012, 05:31:27 PM
..."And He answered and said, "It is not good to take the children's bread and throw it to the dogs.""

so me, being a non israelite and a... dog.. I guess I am not worthy. So spare me! I dont dig racists

Of course the part after is left out.  But why go into that here...

Buddy

Strange but not a stranger<br /><br />I love my car more than I love most people.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Budhorse4 on March 14, 2012, 07:19:32 PM
What's the part after?

Here's the whole:

Quote from: Matthew 15:21-28Leaving that place, Jesus withdrew to the region of Tyre and Sidon.
A Canaanite woman from that vicinity came to him, crying out, "Lord, Son of David, have mercy on me! My daughter is suffering terribly from demon-possession."
Jesus did not answer a word. So his disciples came to him and urged him, "Send her away, for she keeps crying out after us."
He answered, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of Israel."
The woman came and knelt before him. "Lord, help me!" she said.
He replied, "It is not right to take the children's bread and toss it to their dogs."
"Yes, Lord," she said, "but even the dogs eat the crumbs that fall from their masters' table."
Then Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted." And her daughter was healed from that very hour.

For me to elaborate would be considered preaching.  I'll suggest simply that the woman while not a "lost sheep of Israel" was nonetheless given the same that was considered only for the "lost sheep of Israel" and therefore...the same.

DeterminedJuliet

A quote from me on everlasting life:

"I politely decline the offer."
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

So if the mother didn't pass the test, Jesus wouldn't have bothered saving her daughter?

<sarcasim level=intense>Nice, this Jesus fella</sarcasim>

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: DeterminedJuliet on March 14, 2012, 10:12:14 PM

Noted.  To decline is to have acknowledged the offer = Freewill.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on March 14, 2012, 10:15:41 PM
So if the mother didn't pass the test, Jesus wouldn't have bothered saving her daughter?

<sarcasim level=intense>Nice, this Jesus fella</sarcasim>

What test do you see?  She felt a need, acknowledged who could fulfill that need and according to the story, she was rewarded for doing so.  Not a test at all.

Do you "bother" to help EVERY single person within your sphere of influence?  I don't think so.  I'm sure there are many people in need of a meal within walking distance of you that you've not "bothered saving".  What test need they pass for your help?

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 14, 2012, 10:31:12 PM

Here we go, AD justifying in his mind that DJ now gets "justifiably" condemned to imaginary hell, and very (imaginary) Christ like of you to express this to DJ. I'm sure you will be BFF now, well at least until she gets annihilated by your loving god. LOL

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 14, 2012, 10:34:06 PM
What test do you see? 
For god's sake, the faith test, buddy, read the bible please, you only just quoted it a few minutes ago. Some of the words and sentences are important for the believer.

QuoteThen Jesus answered, "Woman, you have great faith! Your request is granted."

Are you able to explain why Jesus deemed the plight of the daughter was based on the faith of the mother? Does the daughter not count as a person in her own right?

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on March 14, 2012, 10:35:47 PM

Here we go, AD justifying in his mind that DJ now gets "justifiably" condemned to imaginary hell, and very (imaginary) Christ like of you to express this to DJ. I'm sure you will be BFF now, well at least until she gets annihilated by your loving god. LOL

Ad Hom.

AnimatedDirt

Quote from: Stevil on March 14, 2012, 10:40:46 PM
Are you able to explain why Jesus deemed the plight of the daughter was based on the faith of the mother? Does the daughter not count as a person in her own right?

You seem to miss that the mother's faith healed the daughter.  The daughter didn't take any test yet was healed...but you'd miss that, I understand.  There is no test.  You either have faith or don't.  Faith is a choice based on either need, want, or both (possibly more).  Who knows if the mother's faith was that Christ was the son of God.  She only had faith that he could heal and so she put her faith into action and was rewarded.

DeterminedJuliet

Well, in all fairness, this is usually how I explain myself to Christians who won't let the issue go (not that that is what AD is doing in this particular case). I used to be Christian, so I understand everything about it. It just have to decline. I don't care too much if that condemns me to hell in their mind because, really, it's probably easier that way for them. I'm not torn up about the prospect of hell, so I really don't want someone to waste a lot of energy on it. I remember that feeling as a Christian; worrying about everyone's salvation all of the time. It's exhausting.
"We've thought of life by analogy with a journey, with pilgrimage which had a serious purpose at the end, and the THING was to get to that end; success, or whatever it is, or maybe heaven after you're dead. But, we missed the point the whole way along; It was a musical thing and you were supposed to sing, or dance, while the music was being played.

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 14, 2012, 10:44:20 PM

Ad Hom.
Not really an Ad Hom, the second part of that sentence was not aimed to discredit you and your validity with regards to the first part of the sentence.

I'm not sure if you realise how offensive your statement was. I don't know how DJ took it but personally, I don't like to see a person pointing at people and telling them they are going to hell.

Although atheists don't believe these statements, they are offensive anyway.
It would be like telling a new mother than she is a bad mother because she is unable to breastfeed. The mother ought not to believe the accuser because they are not in a position to judge. But the very act of judging (whether true or not) is very offensive.
This judgement is one of the main reasons atheists have an issue with religion.

If you want to build bridges rather than dig chasms then you are better to show the value of Christianity rather than to offer direct examples of the negative side. You cannot convince us to join the dark side by instilling fear or guilt. It won't work on us. Think compassion and love rather than judgment and damnation.

Stevil

Quote from: AnimatedDirt on March 14, 2012, 10:50:05 PM
Quote from: Stevil on March 14, 2012, 10:40:46 PM

You seem to miss that the mother's faith healed the daughter.  The daughter didn't take any test yet was healed...but you'd miss that, I understand.  There is no test.  You either have faith or don't.  Faith is a choice based on either need, want, or both (possibly more).  Who knows if the mother's faith was that Christ was the son of God.  She only had faith that he could heal and so she put her faith into action and was rewarded.

Honestly this makes no sense to me.
Thanks for explaining it though, I do appreciate your effort.

It seems with Christianity, (at least the AD version of Christianity)
That the hones is always on the people. God and Jesus have no accountability whatsoever.
People go to hell and it is their fault, not the thing that sends them there.
People are annihilated by fire and it is their fault no the thing doing the annihilation.
People don't get cured of an illness and it is their fault for not having faith in the entity capable of performing the magical cure.
People starve to death and it is not the person with the magic food replication trick's doing, he had more important things to do (like wash his male friends' feet or talk to burning trees)

Sweetdeath

Wait, who was speaking to burning trees? o_o!
Law 35- "You got to go with what works." - Robin Lefler

Wiggum:"You have that much faith in me, Homer?"
Homer:"No! Faith is what you have in things that don't exist. Your awesomeness is real."

"I was thinking that perhaps this thing called God does not exist. Because He cannot save any one of us. No matter how we pray, He doesn't mend our wounds.